Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

26 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

With Joker coming it's time for a comeback :D

I'm not sure what to expect about that one to be honest, Joker might be better than the last DC movies from what I see so it might help, on the other hand it seems very different from other comicbook movies, will Brazilians be interested in that genre?

It'll be interesting to see, if I was forced to give an opinion I'd say I expect it to do well but not necessarily as well as your usual big comicbook movie..but again, I might be totally wrong on that one.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm not sure what to expect about that one to be honest, Joker might be better than the last DC movies from what I see so it might help, on the other hand it seems very different from other comicbook movies, will Brazilians be interested in that genre?

It'll be interesting to see, if I was forced to give an opinion I'd say I expect it to do well but not necessarily as well as your usual big comicbook movie..but again, I might be totally wrong on that one.

Presales in Chile are reaaaally strong and Chile's PS are usually a good predictor for the rest of South America. (Plus, Brasil is more into Super Heros than Chile) 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Presales in Chile are reaaaally strong and Chile's PS are usually a good predictor for the rest of South America. (Plus, Brasil is more into Super Heros than Chile) 

Wow, if that's also true in Brazil then it's gonna be fascinating to follow, I'm pumped up xD

Edited by Fullbuster

1m is obviously not bad for an OD but given the market and the fact it's a famous comicbook character it's a bit weak, it usually means an opening weekend around $6m. With that it won't be easy to reach $20m unless it has great legs.

And even then, $20m isn't massive, still good though given the ER.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

1m is obviously not bad for an OD but given the market and the fact it's a famous comicbook character it's a bit weak, it usually means an opening weekend around $6m. With that it won't be easy to reach $20m unless it has great legs.

And even then, $20m isn't massive, still good though given the ER.

$1m without count previews, with previews Joker made $1,5m.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That's better, however it doesn't change the equation that much. $7m OW becomes more likely than $6m.

Joker can become the biggest opening ever for a +16 (Brazilian R Rated) movie in LC (Maybe not the highest in Dollar because exchange rates now are the worst ever for a superhero movie), and make similar opening numbers to Spider man-Far From home in LC which is a free movie (without audience limitation) and beat Thor-Ragnarok OW. this is big!

Edited by Marcos12
  • Astonished 1

53 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

Joker can become the biggest opening ever for a +16 (Brazilian R Rated) movie in LC (Maybe not the highest in Dollar because exchange rates now are the worst ever for a superhero movie), and make similar opening numbers to Spider man-Far From home in LC which is a free movie (without audience limitation) and beat Thor-Ragnarok OW. this is big!

Mmmh, seen that way (more limited audience + ER) it's indeed not bad at all.

21 hours ago, Marcos12 said:

I mean, ER today is only about 1% off what Deadpool (2016) faced on OW, but yea ER in general is rough, 3% down since AEG and ER was super low at that point too

2 hours ago, Justin4125 said:

I mean, ER today is only about 1% off what Deadpool (2016) faced on OW, but yea ER in general is rough, 3% down since AEG and ER was super low at that point too

Yes, Deadpool got a really bad exchange rate in the opening week ($1 dollar = 4.01 Reais), but then  the exchange rate improved  during the month and at the end of February 1 dollar = 3.56 reais, I don't  think exchange rates will improve this time with Joker during this October because it's been  months since they've been terrible, I hope I am wrong and we wil see the exchange rates improve.

By the way, If those RTH numbers were correct (R$30m Reais OW), Joker will be the biggest opening ever for a +16 (Brazilian R rated) movie in Brazil in LC above Logan (That was the record holder) and  Deadpool movies.

Edited by Marcos12

Weekend 10/3-10/6 (Actual)

1. Joker                                                   R$ 30.14m        NEW         $ 7.37m

2. The Angry Birds Movie 2                    R$ 3.27m          NEW         $ 799k

3. Abominable                                        R$ 2.08m         -54.0%       $ 508k

4. Ad Astra                                              R$ 1.29m         -63.0%       $ 315k

5. Ela disse, ele disse                              R$ 1.10m           NEW         $ 269k

6. Rambo: Last Blood                             R$ 943k            -65.9%        $ 230k

7. It: Chapter Two                                   R$ 739k            -69.0%        $ 180k

8. Crawl                                                  R$ 511k            -71.6%        $ 125k

3. Vai que cola 2 - O começo                 R$ 441k            -66.3%        $ 108k

10. Bacurau                                             R$ 439k           -37.2%        $ 107k

Source: FilmeB

*I used the exchange rate on Thursday (10/3) to make the conversion to $ for the Weekend. (For comparisons only; ER: 1 BRL = 4.0894);

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2