Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

20 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Tragically the exchange rate in 2019 looks positively good nowadays. Endgame would lose a further 25% in USD now that $1 is worth nearly 5.5 BRL 😔

the positive side of this is that once the ER will be back to the 2013/2014 the BO will get a massive boom in USD.

Yes, I think it'll be back to these levels 1 day or another as Brazil is a country full of potential, only hampered by mismanagement but it won't be mismanaged forever. Good thing the next Avengers movie is years away so the country will have time to recover...

In the meantime Disney will probably get a massive amount of revenues from Disney+ in this market so it's something to keep an eye on, particularly with thisp latform potentially boosting the MCU even more :)

• Like 2

I think I will put some things about the streaming market in Brazil from time to time and Disney+ in particular, it's kinda essential to understand this market and people's tastes there, and the fact that the MCU shows for D+ are linked to the MCU movies as it's a one big universe proves BO and streaming are linked.

DEADLINE: You have a wider deal with Disney too.

BRETAS: We have a commercial partnership with Disney+ where we bundle their service with Globoplay. We really believe the two services are very complimentary. If you want the best service for Brazilian content, Globoplay is for sure your best option, and Disney+ has the family-oriented line-up. It’s an excellent combination and the price is very competitive, it’s less than Netflix’s premium subscription.

DEADLINE: With the expansion of Disney+ into Brazil and other markets, do you expect that deal to come to an end?

BRETAS: It may come to an end, but I would say Disney is happy and we are happy too, so there’s no reason to think of the end of this relationship at the moment.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/how-brazilian-tv-giant-globo-is-planning-to-compete-with-netflix-amazon-in-the-streaming-war-1234676055/

Smart play from both Disney and Globoplay. Globoplay is a big Brazilian streaming service with all the popular telenovelas and more.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

EuB8LqhWgAgLhfX?format=jpg&name=900x900

I hope Raya and the Last Dragon will manage to do decently in Brazil but I don't know what to expect because I know nothing about the situation there in the different states: closed theaters? Restrictions? Do people fear the virus a lot or did they stop to care?

Too many variables so I don't expect much but it'd be a great movie to bring families back to theaters if they are physically able to go.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 7:18 AM, LPLC said:

And do you have an approximate number ?

4 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

I think @jatvision recopiled a lot of data on Endgame admissions. You can ask him 

The sheet, for reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit

Looks like 66M Latam, about 40% Mexico, 30% Brazil, 30% rest.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Does anyone have a sourse for current brazilian numbers? I used for several years https://www.exibidor.com.br/, They had top 10 weekend Comscore numbers with box ofiice and admissions but recently removed them from the site. Adorocinema has no updates since last March.

These are two I use - http://www.filmeb.com.br/

movie income (R $)
1 Tom & Jerry - The movie 1,611,256
two Monster Hunter 954,904
3 Wonder Woman 1984 522,477
4 #No way out 242,394
5 Pinocchio 230,193
6 Explosive legacy 82,606
7 Final destruction - The last refuge 51,470
8 Damn friendship 20,780
9 The Last Day Messenger 14,702
10 Trolls 2 10,142

https://www.exhibidorlatino.com/rankings.html

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

The sheet, for reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH-Ls41nH4q1ap1ZLLdtIL7ZvBZLUPNyCBnGymiERFE/edit

Looks like 66M Latam, about 40% Mexico, 30% Brazil, 30% rest.

Panama/Central America another 5.5M for a total of 71M in 12 markets. $272M. There's another $4M reported by Disney giving total LatAm a total of $276M, so 72M admits.

Mexico - 34%
BR - 27%

Rest - 38%

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 1

The Supreme Justice today invalidated the conviction that former President Lula got in a rigged trial, meaning he will be able to run for President again next year. He was Brazil's best President of all time, and is leading the polls for the 2022 election and will free us from the disastrous far-right government that sunk our economy and is failing to vaccinate people. Don't worry guys, soon Brazil will be back on track with a growing economy, lowering unemployment rates, and excellent box office numbers to follow again 

pSCIEXu.gif

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Supreme Justice today invalidated the conviction that former President Lula got in a rigged trial, meaning he will be able to run for President again next year. He was Brazil's best President of all time, and is leading the polls for the 2022 election and will free us from the disastrous far-right government that sunk our economy and is failing to vaccinate people. Don't worry guys, soon Brazil will be back on track with a growing economy, lowering unemployment rates, and excellent box office numbers to follow again 

pSCIEXu.gif

When I saw you had posted here I knew it'd be about that lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brazil health service in 'worst crisis in its history'

Brazil is experiencing a historic collapse of its health service as intensive care units in hospitals run out of capacity, its leading health institute, Fiocruz, has warned.

Covid-19 units in all but two of Brazil's 27 states are at or above 80% capacity, according to Fiocruz.

In Rio Grande do Sul state there are no intensive care beds available at all.

The warning came as the country registered its highest daily death toll yet with 2,841 dying within 24 hours.

Any hope of seeing Brazil coming back as a movie market in the upcoming months is dead, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

1200px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png

Brazil data for Q1 2021:

Netflix: 32% market share

Amazon PV: 26%

Disney+: 10%

GloboPlay: 8%

GloboPlay is the big local streamer that's pretty popular for its telenovelas and has been on the market for years so it's pretty impressive to see Disney+ ahead so fast. Also note that Disney+ was the only streaming service to grow during Q1 2021 so it shows the growing popularity of this streamer.

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/disney-was-only-streaming-platform-to-grow-in-brazil-during-q1--1378716

In June 2020 Netflix had around 16.3 million users in Brazil (its 2nd biggest market in terms of subs) and we know it barely changed at all since then so the current percentage can allow us to know how many subs Disney+ has in Brazil in March 2021:

With a 10% market share it'd mean around: 5.1 million subs in Brazil for Disney+ in 5 months.

• Like 2

Last weekend saw the reopening of theaters chains UCI, Kinoplex and Cine Casal Barra Point in Rio de Janeiro, that let to a boost of 150% on the box office. All the other regions remains closed for now. In other news, Demon Slayer got a release date confirmed for May, no specific day yet, but pre-sales started anyway.

Box office April 9-11

filme renda (R$)
1 Raya and the Last Dragon 46.805
2 The Widow 27.834
3 Tom & Jerry 24.614
4 Monster Hunter 14.501
5 The Father 13.159
6 Honest Thief 4.590
7 Lucicreide vai pra Marte 4.256
8 Wonder Woman 1984 4.210
9 Follow Me 3.024
10 Druk 2.439
Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
Wrong date
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Last weekend saw the reopening of theaters chains UCI, Kinoplex and Cine Casal Barra Point in Rio de Janeiro, that let to a boost of 150% on the box office. All the other regions remains closed for now. In other news, Demon Slayer got a release date confirmed for May, no specific day yet, but pre-sales started anyway.

Box office April 9-11

filme renda (R$)
1 Raya and the Last Dragon 46.805
2 The Widow 27.834
3 Tom & Jerry 24.614
4 Monster Hunter 14.501
5 The Father 13.159
6 Honest Thief 4.590
7 Lucicreide vai pra Marte 4.256
8 Wonder Woman 1984 4.210
9 Follow Me 3.024
10 Druk 2.439

Raya being the first to benefit, wonderful :)

• Like 1