Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

42 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is not a SH movie depending on just OW. Avatar will have a leggy run in LATAM. softer OW should not matter. Plus with Brazil having exited the WC means the impact would be negligible over there. Argentina would be a factor as long as they are there. But irrelevant for overall run. 

Bigger issue for Avatar are the awful exchange rates minus Mexico. So $ wise big drop from 1st movie. 

Then how can we make us$ weaker some bit? 

43 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

It wouldn't matter in the long run, is my point. Even if it would have effected BO by 50%, those people would just watch it a few days later or the next weekend. 

Which pair of team prevail at the WC final will hurt the BO most? Argentina vs France?  

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Which pair of team prevail at the WC final will hurt the BO most? Argentina vs France?  

If Ronaldo plays, I'd say Argentina vs Portugal which would be Messi vs Ronaldo. After that, Argentina v England/France is about the same. 

The days we've had games from Brazil were literally the worst days for box office of this whole year. The World Cup still gonna affect in some level, but please understand that the country stops every time Brazil plays, even right now cinemas, schools and commercial areas are absolutely empty. The only game I expect to have a large effect is the final but even that I would not expect the same effect if it were Brazil playing.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Then how can we make us$ weaker some bit? 

$ has weakened about 10% since September peak. Big issues for markets like Brazil/Argentina is crazy inflation in developing markets. Argentina have been terrible in this regard. There is nothing you can do to change it :-)

I think WC impact in brazil will be be negligible. I think Messi playing will have the most impact. Otherside the biggest stars are Ronaldo and may be Mbappe. 

About Avatar, I'm gonna make some positive arguments for it. One VERY important thing to consider is that back in 2009 the number of 3D screens on the whole country was just 97. Last year that number was at 1466. When the first movie released it made R$102M and yes, that is a lot and it was a record breakers back in 2009. Nowadays though, is a number that even Wakanda Forever will easily pass. One more thing is that is the only blockbuster left for the whole holiday since Puss in Boots 2 only comes in january and the flow of the Oscar movies will only be out after that.

Now, exchange rates really are a problem and for A2 pass the first one in dollars it would have to beat Age of Ultron by R$20M and of course that is a hard thing to achieve, but if we are talking about local currency do not underestimate the movie,please.

• Like 5

Box office 8-11 december

Movie Box Office (R$)             Change (%) Total (R$)    Admissions total (Est)
1 Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 5.680.000 -17% 104.630.000 5.200.000
2 Strange World 1.480.000 -13% 6.210.000 350.000

Violent Night

812.000 -30% 2.470.000 120.000
4 The Menu 724.000 -15.1% 1.860.000 98.000
5 Devotion 711.000 --- 711.000 31.000

Black Adam

530.000 -25.1% 79.660.000 -
7 The Twilight Saga: New Moon 320.000 --- 45.255.000 5.986.000
8 Pronto, Falei 280.000 --- 280.000 13.700
9 Room 203 180.000 -44.6% 630.000 6.200
10 She Said 170.000 --- 170.000 6.100

(To be updated when admissions get revealed. EDIT: Updated for all but Black Adam)

Lack of big releases and the last game from Brazil in World Cup led this to be the second worst weekend of this year. New Moon had the biggest screen release from the new movies, is a little surprising to me that those re-releases aren't going hotter.

And now, for the next 3 weeks Avatar: The Way of the Water will be our main character as it will be taking over majority of the screens soon. For those interested in Avatar, stick around, if not, see ya in 2023!

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
  • Like 6

Some highly positive reactions to the story and characters and some that feel that is just decent or passable in this regard, but the immersion, visual effects and cinematic experience are being praised to the sky. People are going to see this to feel it again just like the first one over here.
Maybe Latam which was one of the concernings regions for this movie (for most people) is actually going to overperform relatively to other hyped regions? Let's see...

• Like 2

A2's audience score is a 4.3, overwhemingly positive reactions right out if the gate and above NWH's 4.2 score.

BTW if anyone is interested, the first movie made R$8.4M on the first weekend, though it might not be very fair to compare since it played more on the legs, the opening really wasn't that big of a deal.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

25 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

A2's audience score is a 4.3, overwhemingly positive reactions right out if the gate and above NWH's 4.2 score.

BTW if anyone is interested, the first movie made R$8.4M on the first weekend, though it might not be very fair to compare since it played more on the legs, the opening really wasn't that big of a deal.

Yeah, based on the early reactions on social media I was expecting something like that. I am confident that the legs are gonna be fantastic.

52 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Opening weekend I think something like 10M and overall 45-60M depending on legs IMO.

Thu + preview: 2.3

Fri: 2.3

Sat: 4 (?)

Sun: 3 (?)

What is the strongest legs Brazil has pulled so far? 

Edited by Danhjpn