Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Box office 29 december -01 january

Movie Box Office (R$)             Change (%) Total (R$)    Admissions total (Est)
1 Avatar: The Way of the Water 15.140.000 -1.7% 122.880.000 5.830.000
2 Terrifier 2 1.000.000 --- 1.480.000 80.680

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

697.400 --- 661.000 290.050
4 Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 573.000 -21.5% 112.000.000 5.670.000
5 Strange World 446.000 -8.8% 9.970.000 577.280

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2

129.000 --- 100.945.443 9.461.533
7 Little Nicholas' Treasure 82.000 +12.3% 318.000 16.310
8 The Menu 70.000 -10.2% 2.720.000 122.570
9 AfterSun 44.400 +48% 488.000 ---
10 Decision to Leave 27.200 --- 27.200 1.090

And so the year ends. A few more days and I'll post the final ranking. This last weekend was impacted by the new year but still managed to pull a lot of flat drops. Avatar ended the year as 3rd biggest movie, though is almost certain it will pass the others with the 2023 earnings.

Next weekend will have the full release of Puss in Boots and Decision to Leave, but also Emily and Firebird.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

From the previews alone Puss in Boots 2 made 368k in admissions, or R$6M+. Audiences scores is at 3.8, WoM is really strong. Possibly it will have passed Bad Guys' total by friday.

The first movie back in the day made R$9.1M on the first weekend, R$47M total.

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

From the previews alone Puss in Boots 2 made 368k in admissions, or R$6M+. Audiences scores is at 3.8, WoM is really strong. Possibly it will have passed Bad Guys' total by friday.

The first movie back in the day made R$9.1M on the first weekend, R$47M total.

I am going to see it Monday with my girlfriend.

I can be wrong about this, but as far as I remember Brazil is very different from domestic and most overseas markets, as it performs better in January than in the holidays period of Christmas and the New Year. We just don't have the culture to go to the movies during that period and going more after the New Year, so expect Avatar to do great over here during this month...

12 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I can be wrong about this, but as far as I remember Brazil is very different from domestic and most overseas markets, as it performs better in January than in the holidays period of Christmas and the New Year. We just don't have the culture to go to the movies during that period and going more after the New Year, so expect Avatar to do great over here during this month...

No way home increase at the same time,but Avatar increase a lot more

35 minutes ago, Bruce said:

No way home increase at the same time,but Avatar increase a lot more

Yes. Almost all movies increase during January over here, but of course to different degrees. Word of mouth juggernauts will display the strongest bumps in January and Avatar 2 is the prime example of that, so it makes total sense that it would increase a lot more than Spider-Man, which burned the demand relatively quickly.

Expect a fantastic January for Avatar.

1 hour ago, Flamengo81 said:

Yeah, we just have to take a look at the trend. Big holidays on the weekend damage the box office instead of helping it and during the whole month of december the weekdays pulled more money than the actual weekends. Our culture always link holidays to traveling and going to beaches, not to the movies. It is one reason of why I think it was very smart to move Puss in Boots out of december, now this and Avatar will probably see fantastic legs this month.

49 minutes ago, Bruce said:

What’s you guys prediction for the final?

NWH at that point in time still managed to pull another R$50M+ before leaving theaters. Assuming Avatwo is around R$160M-ish right now, my bet is R$230M. Though to be fair there is far more movies coming around next two months than in 2022, and I see some potential break outs. But to be fair AGAIN, it helps a lot that no big blockbuster comes out before Ant-Man. I can say that it will be fun to watch!

• Thanks 1

• Like 1