Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Showings will start in less than 2 hours. Oppenheimer finished tracking with 1.246 tickets solds, that is only 51 since yesterday, but we have to remember that most other comps are Wednesday previews, so showings starts 4 to 5 hours later. Anyway, it's low number today is also likely due to people wanting to watch it at premium screens (that are already packed), so it's expected.

• Like 1

Both Barbie and Oppenheimer have an audience score so far of 4.1, excelent for both.

Looking around the release in several cities, it seens that at least for this first day audiences are vastly feminine (and pink). Even to this day I am still hearing of chains opening more screenings in the last minute to suply audiences.

whatsapp-image-2023-07-20-at-10-15-32.jp

DSC_1716.jpg.webpcinema2.-768x513.jpeg

cerca-de-mil-ingressos-sao-vendidos-para

13 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Both Barbie and Oppenheimer have an audience score so far of 4.1, excelent for both.

Looking around the release in several cities, it seens that at least for this first day audiences are vastly feminine (and pink). Even to this day I am still hearing of chains opening more screenings in the last minute to suply audiences.

whatsapp-image-2023-07-20-at-10-15-32.jp

DSC_1716.jpg.webpcinema2.-768x513.jpeg

cerca-de-mil-ingressos-sao-vendidos-para

I saw SEVERAL women on the street today wearing pink and everywhere you could hear people talking about the movie. This completely captured the zeitgeist.

23 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

“Barbie” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-01

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

53.14%

SEATS SOLD IN THE PAST 2 DAYS

COMPS T-01

The Little Mermaid – 11.258x

The Flash – 16.308x (29.19M)

Into The Spiderverse – 15.727x (27.68M)

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3. – 10.123x (31.51M)

Fast X – 14.65x (51.97M)

Here are the insane final numbers. But this comes with a little caveat: the biggest theater basically reseted the showings and so the numbers are lower than what it should be with the previous showings. But it might be a bug (probably is?), so the numbers in reality could actually be a lot bigger. How much bigger? Well, if we use the numbers from these showings at T-03 the total tickets solds would be at 11.214, that is a pretty big difference and it would be even more at T-01. But I decided to use the numbers I am seeing right now and not conjectures, so these are the final results. I will TRY to track tomorrow before shows starts, but it's a tiny possibility. I will definitely take a look to see if the showings remains the same though, just out of curiosity.

Analyzing the numbers we have, the only thing I could say is that anything could happen. I could definitely see actual numbers being much lower than what comps suggests, but I would no be chocked with the comps turning out to be accurate either (except for Fast X), Barbie is simply a phenomenom here in Brazil and you can hear it being talked about everywhere, so no matter what the actuals turns out to be, this will 100% be a performance for the ages regardless.

“Barbie” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-00

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

61.71%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

COMPS T-00

Into The Spiderverse – 16.073x (28.29M)

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3. – 10.252x (31.91M)

Fast X – 7.850x (39.25M)

It's here! Final mindblowing numbers for Barbie.
I will say it again: I just can't see a scenario where this is not a top 3 opening of all time. Going even further: I think this is beating NWH for the 2nd spot and I would not be shocked to see this actually dethrone Endgame for the number one spot, I think it will depend on the WOM throught the weekend. I don't think we will see such a phenomenon like this in Brazil anytime soon at all. 

Ps: I am going Sunday with my girlfriend to see it because she forced me to and because she is going to Oppenheimer with me Saturday 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

22 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

“Oppenheimer” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-01

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

26.67%

TOTAL SEATS SOLD

COMPS T-01

The Little Mermaid – 1.326x

The Flash – 1.921x (3.44M)

Into The Spiderverse – 1.853x (3.26M)

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3. – 1.192x (3.71M)

Fast X – 1.224x (6.12M)

Absolutely crazy numbers for Oppenheimer too!
The ATP is going to be much higher than everyone else too as this is getting more than half of it's shows at premium screens, the 3 IMAX sessions are absolutely packed. I took a look at the weekend sales and it's also very good. This is going to be an all-time great weekend over here for sure.

“Oppenheimer” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-00

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

27.81%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

COMPS T-00

Into The Spiderverse – 1.483x (2.61M)

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3. – 0.946x (2.94M)

Fast X – 0.724x (3.62M)

This might sound like a bad day on the surface, but remember it's Thursday release and no Wednesday, so it's 5 hours~ less of tickets solds. The allocation is also a big factor, since it has basically half of the other movies showings. The comps should definitely be a underindexing too, since this has a much higher ATP than the rest. Given the Thursday vs Wednesday release, the big difference in allocation and in ATP, It's definitely very tricky movie to predict. If I had to guess, I think this is probably doing around 3.8M with a 0.5+/- margin.

• Like 2

Barbie made on thursday $3.3M, around R$15.8M+ (Will update if official numbers come in). For comparison NWH made R$14.5M first day, R$19M first thursday. If Barbie have the same legs of NWH we will see an opening of R$70M+, third best of all time, with R$90M as a best-case scenario (Second best of all time).

EDIT: scratch all that, the opening holy shit was so much better than that. R$22.9M first day and 1.18M admissions, second best of all time. R$90M is not the best case scenario anymore, but a realistic prediction.

EDIT²: $4.9M in dollars

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 7
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, divesyn said:

idk why they did a whole paragraph to talk about NWH OD with previews... i mean, they all had previews, no? so barbie is 3rd after all? lol

They are counting with the wednesday opening of NWH. It is not a good comparison since Endgame and Barbie opened on thursday with midnight previews (and even so with just a few showings) and NWH had the whole wednesday.

Just now, ThatWaluigiDude said:

They are counting with the wednesday opening of NWH. It is not a good comparison since Endgame and Barbie opened on thursday with midnight previews (and even so with just a few showings) and NWH had the whole wednesday.

thought barbie had showings on wednesday too, i've seen many people on social media that day talking how was the experience

This thursday saw a total of 1.4M tickets sold across all movies, an increase of over 500% from the last thursday. What is even more impressive is that despite Barbie, despite Oppenheimer, Elemental is STILL showing legs, it dropped only 20% compared to last thursday, with R$55.8M total so far.

• Astonished 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, Felipe said:

Almost all showings here in Fortaleza are sold out or close to for the entire day.

We’re from the same city … kind of. I have a place there but I actually live in a small town over 300km away. I always go to Fortaleza to watch movies in IMAX.