Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

BOM is reporting 33.6m for BD2 (this number will probably decrease a bit, though), that's only a 44% drop and 9.5m during Mon-Thurs. We have Rise of the Guardians and a Brazilian movie next weekend and, well, Pitch Perfect in the weekend after. Those are the major releases before The Hobbit, $45m won't be difficult to reach, I guess.

• Like 1

BOM is reporting 33.6m for BD2 (this number will probably decrease a bit, though), that's only a 44% drop and 9.5m during Mon-Thurs. We have Rise of the Guardians and a Brazilian movie next weekend and, well, Pitch Perfect in the weekend after. Those are the major releases before The Hobbit, $45m won't be difficult to reach, I guess.

It's a great number, $50m is possible. I don't expect big numbers for ROTG, sadly.

1. Avengers ($63.9m - R$104.3m - 10.9m admissions )2. Elite Squad 2 ($62.9m - R$102.5m - 11.2m admissions)3. Avatar ($58.2m - R$103m - 9.1m admissions)*R$ = Brazilian RealThis R$104.3m number is from May 25, though, I think Avengers still got more 8m~10m after that.

• Like 1

1. Avengers ($63.9m - R$104.3m - 10.9m admissions )2. Elite Squad 2 ($62.9m - R$102.5m - 11.2m admissions)3. Avatar ($58.2m - R$103m - 9.1m admissions)*R$ = Brazilian RealThis R$104.3m number is from May 25, though, I think Avengers still got more 8m~10m after that.

BOM says that Titanic grossed 70 million $ in 1998 and another 5 million this year with 3D re-release. Do you have R$ gross or number of admissions?http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=BR&id=titanic.htm

Yeah, I'm not sure about Titanic. It was reported everywhere earlier this year that Avengers became the highest grossing movie ever in Brazil [1] [2] [3] [4], and they all compared it to Elite Squad 2 and Avatar. Wikipedia says 17.7m admissions for Titanic, but I can't find more about these numbers anywhere, I guess they just aren't sure about how much money Titanic made here.

Oh, if this means anything, when Titanic was released here in 1998, 1 Brazilian Real was equivalent to 0.9 US Dollar. So USD $70m in 1998 is like R$77m, I guess. Exchage Rates changed a lot after 1999 here, and R$ 1 was worth something about 0.5~0.6 dollars during Avatar, Elite Squad and Avengers releases, so you can see the difference.

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 1

one modern Brazilian real is equivalent to 2,750,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the old real

Brazil really has still the same currency as while Titanic was playing? what s wrong with you guys?

I have been to Brazil twice (1988,1999) and they had 5 different currencies during that time.

one modern Brazilian real is equivalent to 2,750,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the old real

Brazil really has still the same currency as while Titanic was playing? what s wrong with you guys?

I have been to Brazil twice (1988,1999) and they had 5 different currencies during that time.

Yeah, our currency changed a lot through the years, this hapenned during an economic crisis in which inflation reached ridiculous levels. We started using Real in 1994 and we haven't changed ever since, I was born in 1993 so I'm used to the actual currency. Edited by JohnnY