Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

54 minutes ago, Tower said:

Woody Allen movies usually make decent money in Europe, Cafe Society has already made 7M in France alone.

Woody Allen has a good image among elitists in France and it's a movie taking place in France so :P

• Like 1

Sadly for Pets the USD gained ground on the BRL : $1 = R$3.22.

While it's only 2% that means the trends of the last few months reversed..

Still, it's still better than when Dory released : $1=R$3,40.

And I think the BRL will still gain some value because it's still way too low. Rogue One could really benefit from it : If the ER comes back to R$3,00m that would be a huge advantage over Star wars TFA that really suffered from this ER (R$4.05).

TFA grossed $27.8m but with R$4.00 it would have grossed $36.5m..With the same ER than in 2012 (R$2.00) it would have grossed $55m

it's really a big difference :o

With a good ER Brazil would be a really impressive market right now, Civil War would have reached $71m with 2012's ER.

What a waste...thankfully the growth in local currency is strong and the ER slowly improves. 2017 should be a much better year thanks to an ER back to a healthier level (2014's levels) and inflation.

Justice League reaching $50m? Yes that's clearly possible. Star Wars 8 beyond Star Wars 7? Oh yes.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Personal forecasts for the OW of :

Pets : $5.5m-6m

The Shallows : $2m

Café society: $0.3m

If they forecasts end up right, solid openings for Pets and The Shallows. Hoping both films can have decent runs after their OW. It will be interesting to see how Pets does though because I think all the bigger films have been released and its just it at the moment.  

Oh and bomb for Cafe Society, as expected lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

If they forecasts end up right, solid openings for Pets and The Shallows. Hoping both films can have decent runs after their OW. It will be interesting to see how Pets does though because I think all the bigger films have been released and its just it at the moment.  

Oh and bomb for Cafe Society, as expected lol 

Only my feelings, my guts though, don't take it at face value ^^

My estimates are quite reasonable but they're not based on real data, just my understanding of this market.

I'm not Brazilian after all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Only my feelings, my guts though, don't take it at face value ^^

My estimates are quite reasonable but they're not based on real data, just my understanding of this market.

I'm not Brazilian after all.

Yea but you seem to have a good understanding of the Brazilian box office ;) 

And for me a lot of members on this forum are better at predicting the box office, than the so called professionals lol 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea but you seem to have a good understanding of the Brazilian box office ;) 

And for me a lot of members on this forum are better at predicting the box office, than the so called professionals lol 

True ahaha ;)

However my prediction for Pets is just reasonable and cautious, that means it's perfectly possible to have it higher than $5.5m or $6m, the potential is there. The Shallows has a long-term potential so even if the OW is low it could be saved by great legs. We'll know in 3 days ;)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Just so that I can preliminarily cry if necessary, may I ask if there's a chance SLOP beats Dory's OW?

Yes SLOP could do it, at least technically. However I don't think it will do it, new franchises rarely breakthrough that way, and families could be tired after giving so much to Dory and IA5. Possible, clearly, but there are hurdles and that's why I'm cautious about it.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Yep, my prediction of $2m OW is a bit too optimistic now...and I was very cautious to begin with...

Welp I think you'll be on point with Pets and you did predict Cafe Society was going to bomb and bomb hard so you got two out three right! 

Honestly, horror films I feel like are like comedies, in that they are hard to predict over seas. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nova said:

Welp I think you'll be on point with Pets and you did predict Cafe Society was going to bomb and bomb hard so you got two out three right! 

Honestly, horror films I feel like are like comedies, in that they are hard to predict over seas. 

Indeed :)

14 hours ago, Quigley said:

Just so that I can preliminarily cry if necessary, may I ask if there's a chance SLOP beats Dory's OW?

Brazil's top 10 (animated) of all time should have already answered your question.