Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

7 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

In local currency that means it's around R$79m, making it the 7th biggest movie of the year, close to Logan (91m). Will it be able to pass the 100m threshold? We'll see.

Drop this week was higher than usual, does anyone have the numbers of Brazil this weekend (could be in Dollars) ? this would be only R$16m from Monday to today (Thor 3 had made R$63m until last Sunday), and there was not even  competition this week, if those numbers are right, no way that will reach the R$100m mark  , more like R$92m-R$94m.

Edited by bruchav

7 hours ago, bruchav said:

Drop this week was higher than usual, does anyone have the numbers of Brazil this weekend (could be in Dollars) ? this would be only R$16m from Monday to today (Thor 3 had made R$63m until last Sunday), and there was not even  competition this week, if those numbers are right, no way that will reach the R$100m mark  , more like R$92m-R$94m.

We'll get local currency numbers later today, we'll see :)

Biggest Opening Weeks in Brazil in USD (As of August 2017)

Fate of the Furious : $13m

The Avengers Age of Ultron : $12.6m

Captain America Civil War : $12m

Furious 7 : 11.9m
Twilight BD2 : $11.8m

Suicide Squad : $11.75m
Iron Man 3 : 11.7m
Harry Potter DH2 : 11.6m
The Amazing Spiderman 2 : 11.1m

Beauty and the Beast (2017) : 11m
The Avengers : 10.8m
Twilight BD1 : 10.8m

Batman vs Superman : $10.6m

Spider-Man Homecoming : 8.9m

Logan : $8.9m
Noah : 8.8m

Thor Ragnarok : 8.6m
X-Men DOFP : 8.4m
Pirates of the Caribbean 4 : 8.4m
Rio : 8.35m

Star Wars TFA : 8.2m

Despicable Me 3 : 8m
Tropa de Elite 2 : 7.9m

Jurassic World : 7.7m
Rio 2 : 7.6m

Wonder Woman : 7.4m

Fifty Shades Darker : 7.4m

Finding Dory : 7.4m

Minions : 7.35m

The Hunger Games Mockingjay Pt 1 : 7.3m
Harry Potter DH1 : 7.3m

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 : 6.9m
Captain America The Winter Soldier : 6.9m
Madagascar 3 : 6.8m
How to Train Your Dragon 2 : 6.7m
Thor 2 : 6.7m
The Amazing Spiderman : 6.6m
Twilight Eclipse : 6.4m

Deadpool : 6.4m

Fantastic Beasts : 6.4m

X-Men Apocalypse : 6.3m
Batman The Dark Knight Rises : 6.25m
Shrek 4 : 6.2m
Ice Age 4 : 6.1m
Despicable Me 2 : 5.7m

I added Thor Ragnarok :)

32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

@Fullbuster is there a reason why Comic book movies are so incredibly succesfull in Brazil (and most of Latin America too)? Is it just the movies that bring people into the cinemas or are comic books themselves also popular?

I don't think the comics are popular in lA and Brazil, they just seem to be in sync with local tastes, and latin american cultures have a thing for disguises and masks so there must be a link ^^

• Thanks 1

OPENING WEEK NUMBERS FOR COMICBOOK MOVIES (IN ADMISSIONS AND WITHOUT PREVIEWS)-AS OF NOVEMBER 2017

Captain America Civil War : 2,653,670

Batman vs Superman : 2,395,269

The Avengers Age of Ultron : 2,372,992

Suicide Squad : 2,112,000

Iron Man 3 : 1.837.064

Spider-Man Homecoming : 1,715,000

Deadpool : 1,700,509

The Amazing Spiderman 2 : 1,664,000

Logan : 1,639,000

The Avengers : 1.638.294

Thor Ragnarok : 1,521,575

Wonder Woman : 1,358,000

X-Men Apocalypse : 1,296,000

X-Men Days of Future Past : 1,270,000

Thor The Dark World : 1.217.390

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 : 1,194,000

Doctor Strange : 1,153,000

The Dark Knight Rises : 1.143.857

Captain America The First Avengers : 1,106,000

The Amazing Spiderman : 985.963

Guardians of the Galaxy : 850,079

Ant-Man : 736,384

Fantastic Four 2015 : 687,826

Man of Steel : 677,000

Big Hero 6 : 494.226

• Like 1

BIGGEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME IN LOCAL CURRENCY (AS OF NOVEMBER 2017)

The Avengers 2 : R$146m

Captain America Civil War : R$143m

Fast&Furious 7 : R$142m

Fast&Furious 8 : R$132.7m

Batman vs Superman : R$132.6m

Beauty and the Beast 2017 : R$130.2m

The Avengers : R$129.6m

Despicable Me 3 : R$127m

Minha Mãe É Uma Peça 2 - O Filme : R$124.2m

Minions : R$120m

Suicide Squad : R$118m

Os Dez Mandamentos - O Filme : R$116m

Finding Dory : R$113.5m

Star Wars The Force Awakens : R$109m

Wonder Woman : R$109m

Tropa de Elite 2 : R$103m

Spider-Man Homecoming : R$102m

Twilight BD2 : R$101m

• Like 2

I don't know any numbers for presales or anything like that. However, there are lots of avaialble seats, and the movie is being released tomorrow here in Brazil.

I bought my tickets for Wednesday, but there are tons of seats available. Perhaps people think the movie will only be released on Thursday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't know any numbers for presales or anything like that. However, there are lots of avaialble seats, and the movie is being released tomorrow here in Brazil.

I bought my tickets for Wednesday, but there are tons of seats available. Perhaps people think the movie will only be released on Thursday. 

Understandable given people are used to have their releases on Thursdays. Still, the fans will know about the release so the OW should be incredibly high.

• Like 1

In both theaters near me, the midnight previews are almost sold out (only first two/three rows available). This is much better than T:R at the same time. In fact, it's much better than what T:R previews ended with (they were only like 60% full). But I believe in part that is because wednesday is a holiday, so people can sleep late, while the usual previews (like for Thor) are on wednesdays, and on thursdays people have to work/study.

However, I must point out that everybody flocks to the superhero movies, so during the primetimes (like the 16h-22h screenings during the weekend), all showings will be sold out, for whichever superhero movie (for Thor, WW, SM, JL,...), so the real difference will be created by the number of screenings available to each movie.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sydney Bristow said:

In both theaters near me, the midnight previews are almost sold out (only first two/three rows available). This is much better than T:R at the same time. In fact, it's much better than what T:R previews ended with (they were only like 60% full). But I believe in part that is because wednesday is a holiday, so people can sleep late, while the usual previews (like for Thor) are on wednesdays, and on thursdays people have to work/study.

However, I must point out that everybody flocks to the superhero movies, so during the primetimes (like the 16h-22h screenings during the weekend), all showings will be sold out, for whichever superhero movie (for Thor, WW, SM, JL,...), so the real difference will be created by the number of screenings available to each movie.

That's pretty promising :)

Whatever the reviews turn out to be for this film, it will have zero effect.

I think the critics will complain about the tone and the editing but I'm happy to say that I LOVED THE FILM and I think it will have incredible word of mouth (at least in Brazil). The theater was unsurprisingly packed (given the holiday) and there were some moments where the audience clapped.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Apollo2xx said:

Whatever the reviews turn out to be for this film, it will have zero effect.

I think the critics will complain about the tone and the editing but I'm happy to say that I LOVED THE FILM and I think it will have incredible word of mouth (at least in Brazil). The theater was unsurprisingly packed (given the holiday) and there were some moments where the audience clapped.

Same here. Now I'm seeing several sellouts.  Movie got released on Wednesday and many people didn't even know that. They thought it would get released on Thursday.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 1

@Apollo2xx@Blaze Heatnix

Seems like it won't be affected by negative/mixed reviews, at least for the OW.

However I'm not sure it can break the all-time record in local currency : The Avengers 2. These reviews could affect the late legs.

On the other hand there is no real competition until The Last Jedi in a month, and unlike other markets it won't face the animated movie Coco so it will be very helpful.

I'm a bit hesitating, don't know what to expect for sure :/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

@Apollo2xx@Blaze Heatnix

Seems like it won't be affected by negative/mixed reviews, at least for the OW.

However I'm not sure it can break the all-time record in local currency : The Avengers 2. These reviews could affect the late legs.

On the other hand there is no real competition until The Last Jedi in a month, and unlike other markets it won't face the animated movie Coco so it will be very helpful.

I'm a bit hesitating, don't know what to expect for sure :/

I'm out of likes now, but as soon as I can, you'll get one. :)

Reviews from brazilian critics and bloggers have been considerably better and positive ( some mixed to positive ). Reaction so far ( from the general public ) has been very positive. Yep, there'll be no competition until Last Jedi, though I think Jigsaw might get some screens from JL. 

I'll watch JL again on Saturday. The difference from what happened for BVS and SS, is brutal. JL is amazing and even my mother wants to see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1