Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Shyamalan and Peele asked for those extended windows. We will see if Scott Derrickson has that kind of clout.

He produced so i think he could, especially since he will have some good numbers in his side.

But yeah let's see how it goes, i would just wait wait before jumping on conclusions.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’d be shocked if Black Phone only gets low $20m’s from $3m previews. 

It’s not fan driven or “spoiler avoidance” like Scream, which had a multiplier of 8.6x previews during the height of omicron. 

I’d expect high 20’s-30m now. Great preview number. 

Solid for Elvis, at least it’s on track for over $30m, but I thought with the buzz and level of marketing it would breakout a bit more, it’s early though so we’ll see! 

Screen was also Jan, when previews are lower and IMs are higher, and had a holiday Sunday to boot. The effect of summer counteracts those factors, but do think the IM range is decently wide. All we know for sure is that the OW is going to start with a 2, until we see how Friday performs

Edited by M37

Likely three movies over 30 mil this weekend. All targeting adults. One has been out a month. Two family movies close behind. Yes, Elvis didn't pull a Bohemian Rhapsody, but this is probably the most hopeful box office weekend since the end of 2019.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

To be fair though, this woudnt really feel like a proper BOT weekend thread without @CJohn declaring the death of movie theaters atleast once.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The best 4th week totals among the top 20 highest grossing films of all time. Remarkable that TGM is keeping up with Avatar. 

1. Avatar - 69.93M
2. Top Gun: Maverick - 69.05M
3. Black Panther - 57.49M
4. The Avengers - 55.78M
5. The Force Awakens  - 55.55M
6. Jurassic World - 45.24M
7. Incredibles 2 - 44.24M
8. No Way Home - 42.19M
9. Avengers: Endgame - 39.94M
10. The Dark Knight - 39.19M
11. Avengers: Infinity War - 38.83M
12. The Phantom Menace - 37.88M
13. Titanic - 37.57M
14. Beauty and the Beast - 33.72M
15. Finding Dory - 32.24M
16. The Last Jedi - 31.31M
17. The Lion King - 31.10M
18. Rogue One: ASWS - 29.79M
19. Frozen II - 26.87M
20. The Rise of Skywalker - 20.54M

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He produced so i think he could, especially since he will have some good numbers in his side.

But yeah let's see how it goes, i would just wait wait before jumping on conclusions.

Scott Derrickson directed the very first Doctor Strange. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by LegendaryBen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Shyamalan and Peele asked for those extended windows. We will see if Scott Derrickson has that kind of clout.

Peele didn’t even do anything to promote Candyman when it was released, he didn’t even tweet about it. 

Plus, Candyman did go to PVOD 17 days later. 17th of September 2021. 

• Thanks 2

Just throwing this out there … 

Without seeking to start a debate on the merits, can’t help but wonder if the news of the day is going to impact BO, either by keeping people home, or offering an outlet/escape (we saw some evidence of the latter after the recent school shooting)

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Peele didn’t even do anything to promote Candyman when it was released, he didn’t even tweet about it. 

Plus, Candyman did go to PVOD 17 days later. 17th of September 2021. 

Correct, I should have searched before trusting the people here. What I remember reading is that Peele and DaCosta were against a simultaneous release on theaters and Peacock.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Just throwing this out there … 

Without seeking to start a debate on the merits, can’t help but wonder if the news of the day is going to impact BO, either by keeping people home, or offering an outlet/escape (we saw some evidence of the latter after the recent school shooting)

Sent you a PM. 

32 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It depends on the type of movie. If it is a more Internet friendly movie, people will just download it on torrents. If it is something like The Bad Guys, the impact is minimal/non-existent.

FWIW, Candyman had the same 17-day window, and it dropped 26% on the weekend it was available to watch at home. The following weekend it fell 27%, and while it dropped 50% after that, that can be attributed more to Venom's opening and a 30% slash in theaters. I don't think Black Phone will have holds this good, especially since Candyman also benefited from zero movies out, but I feel confident in attributing the "bigger" drops more to heavier competition than PVOD

21 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

To be fair though, this woudnt really feel like a proper BOT weekend thread without @CJohn declaring the death of movie theaters atleast once.

You should talk about dinos at least once per weeknd threat