Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | With booming ER, Kongzilla reaches $27.7M and Kung Fu P4nd4 $33.1M.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:39 AM, Carlangonz said:

Federal Government already gave recommendations to reopen locations in 15 states out of all 31 and Mexico City but final word still up to each local government and each chain. I don't think they will want to take the risk as many states had to close again after surge of cases. 

At least in here we won't be getting it, Disney will release in some of the theatres that already opened but without a wide launch and no Disney+ it will be easily and extremely pirated. 

Prime Video contract ends on October but apparently that only applies for WDAS/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm movies because a lot of Fox properties -especially TV- have been moving from other services to Prime Video and has worked pretty well for both companies. Titles such as How I Met Your Mother (which is like getting Friends in the US) and American Horror Story were a huge win for Amazon and with no Hulu here seems like Disney found a place to move their adult content. I heard is working so well for them that Disney+ might even be part of Prime Video Channels.

Well it's official now. Mexico City has allowed theaters to open starting on Wednesday August 12th at only 30% of their capacity. Museums are also opening. A lot of people are still afraid of going out but I have seen malls and restaurants and they already have a lot of people so... we will have to see what happens with movies. Canacine is fiercely pushing for theather to return to some "normalcy"

Disney+ being a part of Prime Channels would indeed be good. I already have HBO and it works very well having eveything in the same App. I remember the contract for Disney properties was for a year (wow, time flies) but as you say now they have a lot of adult content that is great (I'm rewatching Will & Grace entirely). I really hope Disney+ does arrive in November... I really want to see The Mandalorian

Well, all states except Nuevo León (top 3 market) are deciding to go on reopening starting August 12th. Scheduling as of today is:

• Scoob. August 21st
  • New Mutants. August 28th
  • Tenet. September 4th  11th

Disney decided to go with New Mutants rather than Mulan. Wonder what they're planning for it.

EDIT. So Tenet won't be launching on the 4th but 11th so I'm guessing Mulan is taking that date. We'll see.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3

First day of reopening in Mexico City paid off. Wednesday gross alone was bigger than entire last weekend. Along with reopening also came releasees of Bohemian Rhapsody and Interstellar (only IMAX). Bodes well for the first weekend over $1M USD gross since March.

More states have the permission to go but not all local governments want to do it so it'll be gradual. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

First day of reopening in Mexico City paid off. Wednesday gross alone was bigger than entire last weekend. Along with reopening also came releasees of Bohemian Rhapsody and Interstellar (only IMAX). Bodes well for the first weekend over $1M USD gross since March.

More states have the permission to go but not all local governments want to do it so it'll be gradual. 

so right now at least what % of mexico theaters are open ?

New Mutants got delayed again to September 3rd. So no Mulan, wonder what mess is going on at Disney.

Distributors and exhibitors are pushing for Thursday to be permanent opening day so 4-Day weekends would become a rule. 4-Day openings start this weekend.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

20 out of 31 states and Mexico City have re-opened (not all cities tho). Capacity still reduced to 20%-30% nearlly everywhere and some with particular restrictions: one state isn't allowing childen under 12 to go and Jalisco (2nd largest market) only allows theatres to open Mon-Fri. 

Weekends still far to top $1M USD and drive-ins are still top locations. This weekend Scoob repeated on #1 and now has grossed nearly $15M lc ($660K USD).

I'm starting to think Mulan will skip its theatrical release here as well in all of Latin America. Mexico is the only market among the majors of the region that have reopened over half of the market and with studios pushing further the releases of Tenet and New Mutants in markets like Brazil (which has barely opened any cinema) or Argentina (fully closed yet) Disney won't risk to dubbed pirated versions. September is lost for the movie and October has WW84 and Black Widow so they would just sent it to Disney+ to gain buzz for the upcoming launch on Nov 17th and for free because they can't offer it for more than $10-$15 USD here. Honestly they messed up the release big time.

The pushing of reopenings in other countries might affect Tenet as well. It was scheduled for Sep 10th but Warner must be afraid of pirated versions coming from here to pretty much all the region minus Brazil and may be delayed another week. We'll see how it goes that one.  

• Like 1

Well is happening. Warner delayed all their upcoming releases by one week, including Tenet which now opens on the 16th and Wonder Woman 1984 opening on October 8th. Dune went from its december date to TBD.

Disney also made changes and delayed Soul a full month right to Christmas.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Reports: $500K OW for New Mutants.

Disastrous. Just this weekend Nuevo León (3rd largest market) reopened and now I think over 70% of market must have reopened. I guess you could say buzz was bad -which even doesn't has had big impact on things like Fantastic 4 or Dark Phoenix- but I think people just refuses to return to movie theatres which is sad because restaurants and entertainment centers are packed.

Can't see Tenet opening over $1M at the moment. If WW84 doesn't make it to its October date then not just mexican but overall Latin American exhibitors will probably be most affected worldwide by pandemics.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2