Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

2 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

All Time Top 3 Movies, Audience

01    23,300,000    Coco (2017)

02    23,300,000    Avengers: Endgame (2019)
03    21,500,000    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

So now EG has broken the admissions record??? That's the total for Coco of for the original Coco without the re-release??? I thought I saw with the Re-Release Coco was over 24 M, no?? Am I crazy?

Will EG get to 24M admission considering the onslaught of BB's for the coming weeks? At least for this weekend it maintained the drop just below 50%.

But I think the grand total will in the end be 1,450 M Pesos as it will lose a lot of screens (big ones, 4D, Imax). But if this one grosses 45 M more it will be like 650,000 more admissions so... just there in the 24 M mark¡¡¡ Hahaha

As I said before, no matter the front-loading this is nothing short of outstanding (the whole run of Avengers 3 and 4) and it will be difficult for other movies to get here again for a long time.

Aladdin, I have heard a lot of people really want to see the movie (the Blue Genie backlash I think was just a gringo thing) and although the Prince Ali song sounds weird it looks very cool. So, if Dumbo is the floor (and really, why it shouldn't be?) can this get to 200M? or at least 170-180M??

I saw Brightburn over the weekend (didn't realize it opened one week before than in the USA) and was really disappointed. From the trailers I was expecting something terrifying, but the movie doesn’t know if it’s a drama, a horror movie, a superhero movie and it shows. Besides… spoilers… well not that much of a spoiler but everything worthwhile is already in the trailers.

1 hour ago, carlsalf38 said:

So now EG has broken the admissions record??? That's the total for Coco of for the original Coco without the re-release??? I thought I saw with the Re-Release Coco was over 24 M, no?? Am I crazy?

Coco w/o re-release: 23.43

Coco after re-release is effectively a bit over 24M. Endgame is about to beat it if you compre only first runs.

1 hour ago, carlsalf38 said:

So, if Dumbo is the floor (and really, why it shouldn't be?) can this get to 200M? or at least 170-180M??

Dumbo actually had the type of response that neither Shazam! or Pikachu had. For all three hype was really high at beginning but only Dumbo managed to keep it and even with a poor marketing it capitalized on nostalgia and families to open above expectations. Aladdin hasn't really lost the buzz, has solid PS for a live-action and also has the nostalgia factor. And yeah, floor could be lower -around $130M- but if Dumbo managed $150M quietly I don't see how Aladdin misses it, unless we have another Detective Pikachu in hands. 

I really don't see $200M+ happening but $170M wouldn't be so shocking.

As for your Brightburn anecdote... you should've saw John Wick 3 instead!

Edited by Carlangonz

MAY 17-19 WEEKEND. DETECTIVE PIKACHU AND ENDGAME EXCHANGE POSITIONS ON WEEKEND CHART. PARABELLUM OUTGROSSES PREVIOUS JOHN WICK INSTALLMENTS.  LOCAL CINEMA REACHES $1B LC IN TIME RECORD.

Detective Pikachu

- 11.66% above Bumblebee at the same point after release and close to pass Ready Player One. It has behaved better than Bee despite no holidays but is going to take a hit from Aladdin this Friday. Final figure looking to o/u $230M.

Avengers: Endgame

- First title ever to surpass $70M USD and $1.4B lc. Now surpass the all-time record by 23.49% and is $10M USD over past record-holder.

- Second title ever to pass 23M admissions after Coco. Should pass Coco’s first run in admissions by Wednesday. Coco’s record including re-release (24.14M) is taking a few more weeks to be broken.

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

- Above lifetime gross of previous titles from the John Wick saga. Working as an adult counter-programming could help it to pass $100M, one of a very few Rated C (18+, no exceptions) titles to achieve it.

Local Cinema

- Local releases have grossed above $1B lc in barely four and a half months which is almost half of the previous record (2018, 9 months). Seems we have another record-breaking year for Mexican cinema.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Detective Pikachu $43.3 -45,12% $169.4 $8.75 818K 3.3
2 Avengers: Endgame $41.1 -49,87% $1,409.2 $73.44 729.7K 23.3
3 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $36.6   $39.6 $2.06 581.7K 628.4K
4 A Dog's Journey $26.4   $26.4 $1.37 467.9K 467.9K
5 Dulce Familia $21.1 -55,01% $90.5 $4.68 379.1K 1.7
6 Brightburn $14.5   $14.5 $757K 260.1K 260.1K
7 Uglydolls $13.9   $13.9 $726K 251.3K 251.3K
8 No Manches Frida 2: Paraíso Destruido $1.9 -69,84% $327.4 $17.06 36.4K 6.5
9 The Aftermath $1.8   $1.8 $94K 21.9K 21.9K
10 Us $1.4 -78,46% $33.4 $1.70 22.6K 574.7K

This Friday opens: Aladdin, Just a Breath Away, The Sun is Also a Star, Endzeit and One Last Deal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Aladdin opened to a great $9.2M (about 175M lc), 2nd international market. Unless it collapses, it should join Dumbo at the 400M lc club.

Wonderful result. Shouldn't collapse; wom is good and there's no SLOP 2 here until August, the only issue would be the quick loss of IMAX, 4D, PLF and VIP due to competition. 

Once again, Mexico delivers to Disney's live-action remakes. Good sign for Lion King. 

Btw... don't know what metric is using DHL to use Maleficent as a comp, that one was $156M on the books. 

• Like 2

So everything is marching as foreseen and by the end of June Disney would've grossed $3.3B lc during 2019 which would be the second highest result for any studio in a single year. Before Lion King arrives it should be #1 surpassing Disney's own 2018 ($3.52B) with Lion King, Maleficent 2, Frozen 2 and Rise of Skywalker yet to open. 

Talk about brand-power.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

MAY 24-26 WEEKEND. ALADDIN HAS ITS SECOND BEST INTERNATIONAL OPENING AND TOPS DUMBO, MALEFICENT AND JUNGLE BOOK. ALL HOLDOVERS EXCEPT JOHN WICK HAVE BIG DROPS. ENDGAME IS *THIS CLOSE* TO PASS ADMISSIONS RECORD.

Aladdin

- 13.94% above Dumbo and 7.37% over Maleficent. Second best result for a live-action remake only below 2017’s Beauty and the Beast.

- Best May opening above Deadpool 2 ($166.2M) and third best opening of the year behind Endgame and Captain Marvel.

- It’ll get a quick screen loss due to upcoming competition but audience-wise won’t face any threat as the only direct competition is Toy Story 4 in four weeks. Could pull $450M+ at the end.

John Wick: Chapter 3-Parabellum

- It already has outgrossed both previous installments combined and already doubled full run of Chapter 2.

- It shall become first $100M title from Corazón Films since Wonder and first $100M Rated-C title since Logan.

Detective Pikachu

-2.52% over Bumblebee at the same point of release. It was definitely slowed by Aladdin and still aims to o/u $230M.

Avengers: Endgame

-Only 200K admissions away from the all-time record! Should make it next week despite lose most of its shows and a considerable theatre drop.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Aladdin $169.7   $169.7 $8.90 2.7 2.7
2 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $23.4 -36,06% $87.1 $4.51 371.6K 1.4
3 Detective Pikachu $17.5 -59,58% $203.2 $10.44 346.5K 4
4 Avengers: Endgame $16.2 -60,58% $1,141.2 $75.03 302.5K 23.9
5 A Dog's Journey $9.9 -62,50% $48.9 $2.51 180.5K 933.5K
6 Dulce Familia $6.3 -70,14% $107.1 $5.5 117.6K 2.1
7 Brightburn $4.4 -69,65% $26.8 $1.38 81.1K 520.4K
8 Uglydolls $3.7 -73,38% $22 $1.13 72.6K 424.9K
9 Just a Breath Away $3.5   $3.5 $183K 61.7K 61.7K
10 The Sun Is Also A Star $2.9   $2.9 $152K 41.8K 41.8K

This Friday opens: Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Rocketman, Ma and Racer and the Jailbird.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Josh Cooley and Jonas Rivera coming up tomorrow to Mexico City to hold a very private fan-event to promote Toy Story 4. It'll be showed to critics and press later this week but don't expect any reaction because there'll be NDAs. 

Still don't know if tickets go on sale this friday or early next week. 

• Like 1

Aladdin and King of the Monsters playing at about same number of screens (2,300+ each one). Godzilla should win the weekend with $110M-$120M, on par or slightly ahead of Kong.

Ma and Rocketman are also getting a similar number of screens (1,200+ each) but Ma is looking better to meet #3 this weekend. 

That Toy Story 4 tracking for the US! Waiting for PS to start before say anything but both Cinépolis and Cinemex already preparing for something big. Is Minions' opening record finally going down? 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Aladdin had stellar weekdays, total is now over 250M lc ($13.25M).

Endgame weekdays > Pikachu weekdays 🤪  The latest Avengers saga is now up to 1,448M lc ($76M). Could it reach the billion and a half threshold?

Keep fighting. Hope it can do

• Like 1

This weekend is very much like three weeks ago. Aladdin and Zilla are against each other for #1 just like Endgame and Pikachu did that moment. Funny thing is, again a Disney holdover versus a Warner opener. 

With Dark Phoenix selling poorly on PS and MIB:I doing meh Disney is just setting ground for Toy Story 4 and Lion King and Sony for Far From Home.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Looks like Aladdin won the weekend, total is now $19.2M. Godzilla (sans Godzuki) #2 with $4.6M, 3rd highest OS OW.

Pikachu showing legs, $11.2M to date.

Outstanding hold for Aladdin, near to 30%. Shall pass $500M and might beat Beauty and the Beast as 2nd highest grossing Disney live-action remake.

Disappointing for Zilla, below first one in lc and admissions.

Endgame close to the end of its run but before that happens is already king in admissions! Triple-crown for the Marvel juggernaut.

• Like 3

Just found out why that Endgame weekend estimate is so low. In order to get as many admissions as possible before it disappears from Top 10, Disney put tickets available only for $15 lc (less than $1 USD). The strategy is been applied from May 31 until June 6.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Just found out why that Endgame weekend estimate is so low. In order to get as many admissions as possible before it disappears from Top 10, Disney put tickets available only for $15 lc (less than $1 USD). The strategy is been applied from May 31 until June 6.

Its $76.2M after this weekend?