Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

$2.4M OW for Ghostbusters: Afterlife, #1, about 50M lc. Bad ER not helping.

Eternals reached $13.3M, pointing to another decent hold. Sneaks into the Top 5 of the year.

Pretty much on bar with G2016 which did $6.6m (2.64xOW). GA is likely to have much better legs in the US than G2016. Are you expecting that to be the case in Mexico too and it to gross much more than $6.6m?

3 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Pretty much on bar with G2016 which did $6.6m (2.64xOW). GA is likely to have much better legs in the US than G2016. Are you expecting that to be the case in Mexico too and it to gross much more than $6.6m?

It was the only country in Latin America in which it beat Eternals and had a #1 opening. Legs should be decent since there's no other tentpole for weeks. However the ER is fluctuating a lot. $6M should be a good result.

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1

48M lc OW for Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Movers and shakers in the TOP MOVIES 2021 (lc) list:

02     493,600,000  Venom: Let There Be Carnage --> also jumps to #38 on the all-time chart.

05     270,900,000  Eternals

13     108,200,000  Dune (2021)

16       70,100,000  The Addams Family 2

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1

Had totally forgotten about Encanto opening tomorrow. It's getting a decent amount of screens, with all shows in Spanish; could it have a 100M lc 4-day OW? No big animated movie in a while so there's potential.

Ghostbusters is keeping the premier formats, and relatively few shows here and there for the latest Resident Evil and House of Gucci.

• Like 2

If Ghostbusters made $2.4M I can see Encanto topping $4M or so. Surprisingly low for House of Gucci; it'll surely pull both a high PSA and a high PTA, may show legs as a counter-programming as well. 

You know PS are going to be big for a title when there's a lot of people questioning how to buy tickets in advance since it's their first time doing so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

You know PS are going to be big for a title when there's a lot of people questioning how to buy tickets in advance since it's their first time doing so.

You're talking about West Side Story, right?

:hahaha:

Just kidding. It will be the event of the year!

3 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

You're talking about West Side Story, right?

Heck, I forgot that was coming lol Disney will surely dump it.

Btw I'm not expecting midnights to happen so it already messes some of my comps. If previews doesn't happen either then I don't know how to work my comps (EG, IG, TROS, CW)

No midnights or previews for No Way Home. Shows will start as theatres open and given local restrictions they could release it as soon as 10:00 AM and as late as 3:00 PM. Been thinking on how to spin PS data with comps and I've decided to work it out this way,

• Goal for OD is 2x from Let There Be Carnage, so it should target around $4M
  • $4M OD should mean something like 60% higher than Endgame's midnights.
  • I'll track both chains however Cinemex will be more useful than Cinépolis this time. If PS there for OD are significantly bigger than EG's midnights then we're up for a threat

It'll probably be more tiresome to track than EG and IW but certainly will be a better indicator on how's going to go. Without midnights or previews it should look to be less front-loaded as well.

• Like 3

I really didn't think Encanto would be a victim of this, this is not even undeerwhelming, it's plain awful. Hoping it legs past $6M but still not good.

I guess Dune and Afterlife somehow overperformed thanks to the pandemic. Let me explain, in normal times both would've made what they're grossing right now and it would've looked just fine but this further proves that people who want to return are already doing it and it's people that knows what they want to see, and they're either a ravid fan-base or people who used to go almost every week and they're kinda doing it again. Large part of GA still hesitates but the virus isn't entirely to blame on; we're living the greatest inflation in 20 years and employement is barely recovering. Inflation on ticket prices and concessions is the most hostile I've seen in 10 years. Right now people is less flexible on what they're spending and they do want to spend on movies but they would prefer platforms than theatres -Netflix is somehow finding space, D+ is ok and HBO Max is growing- and they just rather wait for the next big event (i.e. GvK, Venom, NWH) or the next big niche deal (i.e. Dragon Slayer) to be at theatres. 

Anyway, hopefully Encanto legs and No Way Home perfoms on line with buzz. About 10 hours to ticket sales begin for the latter.

• Sad 1

Showtimes for both Cinépolis and Cinemex starting to pop up. Massive show and screen count coming. No sale yet.

IW collapsed servers 5 minutes after midnight. EG did that around five minutes before midnight. NWH may begin to have glitches by 11:30 or so lol

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Shit! It's 23:06, tickets aren't on sale yet but Cinépolis already crashed :sparta:

EDIT 23:15. Cinemex glitching for me now too!
23:32. Cinépolis #4 TT and Cinemex #17
23:36. First verified reports from people who got tickets for 3rd tier markets

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Haha 3

OKAY THIS IS IT!

Perisur begins with 44 shows so far incl. IMAX, 4DX and VIP and Universidad with 47

Still need 3 theatres from my 2019 sample but in regular sessions is already outpacing Endgame. I'll talk about the importance of this later. 

IMAX sessions are a done deal and it's been just 10 minutes

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1