Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Frozen Empire spooks with $2.7M OW; Kung Fu P4nd4 reaches $22.8M, Dune 2 crosses $10M.

11 minutes ago, john2000 said:

if yes, then thank god , can i ask the source ?

ps ww ? dom too ?

Outliers already confirming. WW. I assumed that if they were going to move it in Mexico it would be WW. 

I hear it from someone who works for a distributor here. 

4 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Outliers already confirming. WW. I assumed that if they were going to move it in Mexico it would be WW. 

I hear it from someone who works for a distributor here. 

Mulan, Antlers and New Mutants (again!!!) have been delayed in USA, I guess the same will happen here (not sure if Antlers had a release date already here).

Some are saying if things improve quickly Mulan will take the May 1st slot and Black Widow will move to the slot emptied by F9... too soon to tell really.

8 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Weekly numbers are out and they are no as bad as I feared. But low nonetheless. Onward barely reached 77M lc.

This weekend should see the first real impact as cases increase as time goes and small gatherings are getting cancelled. Small distributors already removing titles from schedule.

$1.2M OW for Blodshot. If it opened at #1, that means Onward imploded. UPDATE: It opened at #2.

• The latest Pixar movie repeats on top and reached $5M.  At least it crossed 100M lc, small consolation.
  • Invisible Man not that far behind at $4.9M.
  • Call of the Wild is now at $4.1M.

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MARCH 13TH-15TH WEEKEND. ONWARD REPEATS ON TOP AS COVID-19 CONCERNS SINK THE ATTENDANCE TO A 3-YEAR LOW.

As previously forecasted this was the lowest grossing weekend since September 8th-10th, 2017 both in lc and admissions. $107M/1.8M admissions back then v $120M/1.9M admissions this weekend.

Due to obvious reasons there’s this result and there’s no hope for it to improve at least the upcoming four-eight weeks as studios and distributors keep removing titles from schedule and some theatres are starting to reduce seating capacity. Both federal and state governments are taking measures closing schools and cultural facilities such as museums, galleries and libraries so it might only be a matter of time before cinemas see themselves forced to close locations in order to preserve public health.

For all the past reasons I will continue to post the weekend charts –until there’s nothing to report- and offering updates on the situation but there won't be any sort of analysis or reading of any particular title.

Hoping for the best to every reader of this thread and overall forum. Be safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Onward $25.4 -55,59% $103.3 $4.94 458.6K 1.8
2 Bloodshot $24.6   $24.6 $1.12 402.4K 402.4K
3 Veinteañera, Divorciada y Fantástica $21.9   $21.9 $1.01 370.6K 370.6K
4 The Invisible Man $10 -59,18% $99.3 $4.88 162.8K 1.7
5 Sonic The Hedgehog $9 -57,94% $346.9 $18.10 182.4K 6.6
6 My Spy $7.4   $7.4 $337K 141.3K 141.3K
7 My Hero Academy: Heroes Rising $7.3   $7.3 $333K 91.2K 91.2K
8 The Call of the Wild $2.6 -72,63% $79.2 $4.03 45.6K 1.4
9 Malasaña 32 $2.3 -72,94% $15.4 $728K 43.6K 301.7K
10 Birds Of Prey $1.2 -75,51% $212.5 $11.19 22.3K 3.8

If everything goes as foreseen this Friday opens: I Still Believe, Nomis, A Score to Settle, Military Wives, A Hidden Life, Zan and Into Nature’s Wild.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

USD crosses $23 lc for the first time ever. New historical low and expecting it to hit even lower tomorrow. 

Nuevo León (Top 3 markets) announced the closure of all entertainment locations including movie theaters until further news.

• Sad 1

I guess this Friday a lot of businesses will close along with schools already out for a month. With tonight’s announcement of the first death authorities will have to increase measures to contain the virus from spreading as much as possible.

Everything has moved out of the April-May corridor and not sure June is really safe.

But the important thing is to stay safe and indoors... let’s do as much as we can to stop this.

• Like 1

Mayor of Mexico City has ordered the closure of movie theaters (among other places) in the city and order will take effect starting tomorrow. Two out of the major three markets -Mexico City and Nuevo León- are down indefinitely with Jalisco right now going through a 5-Day period of total isolation.

The #1 this weekend is going under $5M lc during the frame. Historic low.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Sad 1

"Cinema taught us that there's always a happy ending.

We'll miss you

Take care"

Cinépolis' shutdown has taken full effect. They put this message in all their signs and media. 

Hope it doesn't take much to see everything working again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While theatres around the world are struggling Cinépolis has found an alternative in its streaming service Cinépolis Klic (VOD with a very large catalogue). And now also they have partnered with Uber Eats to sell and deliver food and snacks from their concession stands -because their popcorn are THAT good- and now is being currently executed through a pilot program in Monterrey and Morelia (hometown of the chain) which apparently launched with a good response. Definitely a very good way to keep up. 

• Like 1

Through an official announcement Cinépolis has set rules for its upcoming return. This weekend they went back to operations in a handful of locations in two states offering the same films they offered before the shutdown like Sonic, Invisible Man, Veinteañera, Divorciada y Fantástica among others. The reopening of theatres in other states and cities will depend on indications from Health Ministry.  

Among security measures implemented are:
- Hand sanitizer and temperature control on entrances
- Face masks for all staff
- Acrylic screens in box office and concessions stands
- Signs on lines to keep attendants 1.5m away from each other
- Distanced seating reducing capacity around 50-55%
- No more self-service areas for concessions. Stuff such as ketchup and sauces will now be served by employees on sealed packages
- Use of QR codes for tickets and menus (for VIP locations) to reduce the use of paper
- Indoor gates and entrances to auditorioums open during shows

The entire protocol can be found in the next link: https://cinepolis.com/protocolo-de-seguridad

Video in spanish explaining all measures:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Through an official announcement Cinépolis has set rules for its upcoming return. This weekend they went back to operations in a handful of locations in two states offering the same films they offered before the shutdown like Sonic, Invisible Man, Veinteañera, Divorciada y Fantástica among others. The reopening of theatres in other states and cities will depend on indications from Health Ministry.  

Among security measures implemented are:
- Hand sanitizer and temperature control on entrances
- Face masks for all staff
- Acrylic screens in box office and concessions stands
- Signs on lines to keep attendants 1.5m away from each other
- Distanced seating reducing capacity around 50-55%
- No more self-service areas for concessions. Stuff such as ketchup and sauces will now be served by employees on sealed packages
- Use of QR codes for tickets and menus (for VIP locations) to reduce the use of paper
- Indoor gates and entrances to auditorioums open during shows

The entire protocol can be found in the next link: https://cinepolis.com/protocolo-de-seguridad

Video in spanish explaining all measures:

in your opinion when do you think that mexico and brazil will reopen ? by aug maybe ?