Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | With booming ER, Kongzilla reaches $27.7M and Kung Fu P4nd4 $33.1M.

11 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Maybe they’ll get it right for Coco 2 :ph34r:

I've been thinking about this. If they released a sequel half as good as the original in July, in time for Winter's Holidays in South America, it would make an obscene amount of money. Minions on steroids and more. 

I hope they don't do a sequel though, Pixar sequel always disappoints unless they are called Toy Story (and honestly I'm not really sold on TS4) but I fear that the Chinese money will be too tempting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

$1.2M Monday for Endgame. Slowing down as expected for a $62.8M total.

Actually isn't bad. Infinity War made about half of it at the same day with worst ER. Seems it'll pass $1.2B on Tuesday.

Weekend is going to be interesting. Both Endgame and Pikachu are going for 2,200+ screens and Dulce Familia is going to play in 1,600+. 

Surprisingly Pika-Pika and Avengers are sharing 4DX screens, wonder what theatre managers are expecting from the former.

Keep an eye on Dulce Familia, it'll be the obvious choice for this Friday's holiday (Mother's Day). We've seen in the last three years how local releases or Mexican co-productions have taken over this holiday and affected Marvel releases (¿Qué Culpa Tiene el Niño?-Civil War/ HTBALL-GOTG2/Overboard-IW).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tupek said:

I think a new Shrek movie could get 20 million tickets again... :ph34r:

I know the last two did poorly compared to the first two but jezz a new one could carry a lot of nostalgia.

8 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

I hope they don't do a sequel though, Pixar sequel always disappoints unless they are called Toy Story (and honestly I'm not really sold on TS4) but I fear that the Chinese money will be too tempting. 

I'm sure they're fine with all the money they make from merchandise and home-video/digital sales. They should be fine just doing shorts but with Lee Unkrich and Darla K. Anderson out of Pixar I doubt they do something about it.

Previews for Detective Pikachu looking solid, nothing astonishing though. I do wonder why Warner decided to do them at 10:00 PM rather than 9:00 like other films that held previews.

Expecting $4M-$5M from previews. That would bode well for a $100M+ opening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Previews for Detective Pikachu looking solid, nothing astonishing though. I do wonder why Warner decided to do them at 10:00 PM rather than 9:00 like other films that held previews.

Expecting $4M-$5M from previews. That would bode well for a $100M+ opening.

My Detective Pikachu 10 pm wasn't as full as I expected, several empty seats in good places. For some reason several people (me included) entered the theater a bit late. The audience totally ate it up though, great reactions in the first half and more subdued inn the second.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

4.4M lc Thu night previews for Pikachu, about $0.25M.

I have no idea on how to read those previews numbers. The PSA is good to be honest but there's no good comps to know if this could be front-loaded or not. Expecting anything from $85M+

Forecasting a $75M-$80M third weekend from Endgame.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Thanks 1

Endgame becomes 3rd movie ever on surpass 20M admissions. Should pass Infinity War's total (21.5M) by the end of the weekend. Beating Coco (24.03M) is going to be a photo-finish. 

Lifetime gross heading towards $1,450M-$1,470M. This weekend's drop aiming to be o/u 60%, a possible sub-50% drop next weekend but then won't have the same late legs that IW had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Carlangonz said:

Endgame becomes 3rd movie ever on surpass 20M admissions. Should pass Infinity War's total (21.5M) by the end of the weekend. Beating Coco (24.03M) is going to be a photo-finish. 

Lifetime gross heading towards $1,450M-$1,470M. This weekend's drop aiming to be o/u 60%, a possible sub-50% drop next weekend but then won't have the same late legs that IW had.

Well. It was definitely front-loaded but in the end nothing short of outstanding. Which movie will really get close to this level again? No Marvel movie will really be this event until Avengers 7 (Hahahaha)¡ So... how long will this record be mantained? 8-10-15 years?

I'm going with 70M for the second weekend as Detective Pikachu will be a great competition. On the 17th that there is not much competition will level a little bit but from there basically will drop from the face of the earth¡

So, 100M for Pika-Pika? Apparently is a very fun movie¡

2 hours ago, carlsalf38 said:

Well. It was definitely front-loaded but in the end nothing short of outstanding. Which movie will really get close to this level again? No Marvel movie will really be this event until Avengers 7 (Hahahaha)¡ So... how long will this record be mantained? 8-10-15 years?

I'm going with 70M for the second weekend as Detective Pikachu will be a great competition. On the 17th that there is not much competition will level a little bit but from there basically will drop from the face of the earth¡

So, 100M for Pika-Pika? Apparently is a very fun movie¡

It did was front-loaded and is ending more front-loaded than IW but we can't complain about legs, it wasn't a Civil War or a Batman v Superman so that's a win.

No more than 10 years. We wonder and answer this often in most of markets but there's always something that looms and surprises. Here in Mexico I don't think anyone saw Titanic, Avatar, Avengers or Coco coming the way they did.

Yeah, 17th-19th weekend seems like a breath before Aladdin, Godzilla and Dark Phoenix. The only wide release is John Wick 3 but that skews older and is very niche, seeing between $20M-$30M opening.

Not so sure on $100M+ for Pika-Pika. Waiting until tomorrow morning.

In a surprising turn of events after a very close friday between Avengers and two openers; Endgame is looking to retain No. 1 this weekend with a $72M+ weekend. 

Detective Pikachu heading towards $61M-$66M and $56M-$61M for Dulce Familia (Wow!).

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

In a surprising turn of events after a very close friday between Avengers and two openers; Endgame is looking to retain No. 1 this weekend with a $72M+ weekend. 

Detective Pikachu heading towards $60M+ and $50M+ for Dulce Familia (Wow!).

Nice, any chance EG can finish at $79M?