Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Frozen Empire spooks with $2.7M OW; Kung Fu P4nd4 reaches $22.8M, Dune 2 crosses $10M.

35 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

All Time in lc

28    514,743,874    Suicide Squad (2016)

29    504,000,000    Hotel Transylvania 3 (2018)

30    496,400,000    Aladdin (2019)
31    491,641,232    It (2017)
32    491,293,348    Monsters University (2014)

Can you post the full chart in local currency? Thanks so much

JUNE 7TH-9TH WEEKEND. DARK PHOENIX HITS LOW FOR THE FRANCHISE; FIRST MARVEL/DC TO OPEN SUB-$100M LC SINCE DOCTOR STRANGE. ALADDIN FALLS SUB-50% AGAIN, NOW ON ITS WAY TO BEAT BEAUTY AND THE BEAST AND MALEFICENT.

Dark Phoenix

- 28.64% below Apocalypse, 24% under Days of Future Past, 32.86% behind Deadpool and 17.1% below Logan. The last comp is disastrous given Logan had a restrictive rating (C) and no premium screens.

-  First Marvel/DC release to fail a $100M lc opening since 2016’s Doctor Strange. Should finish somewhere between $230M and $250M, $100M less than Apocalypse.

Aladdin

- 5.8% above Maleficent at the same point of release, already surpassed Jungle Book and Dumbo. Should pass Beauty and the Beast before Woody & Buzz arrive.

- 6th best result for any third weekend only below Coco, Toy Story 3, Endgame, Incredibles 2 and Avengers.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Dark Phoenix $91.3   $91.3 $4.64 1.5 1.5
2 Aladdin $70.1 -41,43% $496.4 $25.55 1.2 9
3 Godzilla II: King of the Monsters $29.9 -66,70% $153.1 $7.76 561.8K 2.8
4 Solteras $22.4   $22.4 $1.13 367.1K 367.1K
5 The Queen's Corgi $8.5   $8.5 $432K 155.2K 155.2K
6 Rocketman $7.1 -51,36% $29.8 $1.50 84.8K 388K
7 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $5.6 -61,37% $129 $6.61 86.5K 2.2
8 Ma $3 -69,07% $18.7 $940K 55.1K 366.9K
9 Avengers: Endgame $2.4 -53,84% $1,459.2 $76.48 55.8K 25.5
10 Detective Pikachu $2 -76,74% $223.6 $11.45 46K 4.5

This Friday opens: Men In Black: International (Thursday night previews), Loco Fin de Semana, Greta, Tolkien, Deadly Still, La Serpiente Emplumada, Red de Libertad and Under the Silver Lake.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Three days after Toy Story 4 tickets went on sale and it's pretty good so far. On the level of Incredibles 2, bigger than recent hits like Aladdin.

Despite the love for animations in the country they rarely do gangbusters during PS with a few exceptions like Incredibles 2 and Minions. The fact that there's rush factor for Toy Story 4 is a really great sign.

What makes it even more interesting is that I2 PS were very skewed given it held Thursday night previews but TS4 doesn't have those shows and still is excelling. We'll see how it goes this and next week.

• Thanks 2

On 6/12/2019 at 5:03 PM, Purple Minion said:

Hearing that MIBI tracking is quite lukewarm... <100M lc OW?

I don't think $100M lc were ever on play. I would say not even $50M would be doable based on presales but it'll be walk-up heavy so it could make it pass that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, what are your thoughts for Toy Story 4? It will most certainly brake 250M but can it get to 300M and 1Billion pesos por another Disney movie?

Was able to see Aladdin yesterday and I understand the legs. It's a ver nice movie, very well done and Will Smith didn't try to be Robin Williams but in the end he is funny. Almost everyone was enjoying the comedy and at the end several people said that is was a cute movie.

Haven't seen Dark Phoenix but I have heard so many bad comments that I'm doubting in seeing the movie. Has any of you enjoyed it?

I wanted to think MIB4 had some potential but not hearing any buzz or anything whatsoever.

Anabelle 3 will get to 150M? Will people be tired of the Conjuring Universe? Although I do think Warner has increased the marketing for this one and it looks nice. It's a shame we didn't get the return of Chucky this weekend.

12 hours ago, carlsalf38 said:

So, what are your thoughts for Toy Story 4? It will most certainly brake 250M but can it get to 300M and 1Billion pesos por another Disney movie?

Strong PS, solid buzz and even though Disney's marketing is moderate I don't think it affects since Toy Story is a franchise that sells by itself. But being a brand that markets by its own goodwill makes it unpredictable and this feels like IW/I2 all over again (even EG was more predictable at this point before release). So I wouldn't throw any number right now. 

Haven't seen Dark Phoenix but I have heard so many bad comments that I'm doubting in seeing the movie. Has any of you enjoyed it?

Haven't watched. It never caught my attention so instead I watched Solteras lol Cassandra Ciangherotti is such an underrated actress. 

I wanted to think MIB4 had some potential but not hearing any buzz or anything whatsoever.

Yeah, it feels very meh but still could be a moderate hit like Ocean's 8 last year. 

Anabelle 3 will get to 150M? Will people be tired of the Conjuring Universe? Although I do think Warner has increased the marketing for this one and it looks nice. It's a shame we didn't get the return of Chucky this weekend.

I think anywhere between $130M-$150M for the 4-Day opening. It's been a while since a horror large hit. Chucky is been jumping from date to date the last month, July 12th was the last date they gave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunny Max said:

Great ... give us some TS4 news ...

Still is hard to track given difference with possible comps. 

Although I did forgot to say that Disney once again increased prices for the movie's first week. Some tickets are as expensive as $10 USD in some places for premium shows (4x times national average). 

Also, is aiming to open in a huge number of screens, it could top 5,000 screens during opening and climb as high as 5,600 screens; 3rd widest release of all-time below Endgame and Infinity War. 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Still is hard to track given difference with possible comps. 

Although I did forgot to say that Disney once again increased prices for the movie's first week. Some tickets are as expensive as $10 USD in some places for premium shows (4x times national average). 

Also, is aiming to open in a huge number of screens, it could top 5,000 screens during opening and climb as high as 5,600 screens; 3rd widest release of all-time below Endgame and Infinity War. 

so with widest release & insane ticket prices ... movie will open huge...

• Like 1