Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Frozen Empire spooks with $2.7M OW; Kung Fu P4nd4 reaches $22.8M, Dune 2 crosses $10M.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:26 PM, john2000 said:

in your opinion when do you think that mexico and brazil will reopen ? by aug maybe ?

Don't know about Brazil but mexican theatres will be able to do it throughout June and July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Half $1M lc (+61% from last weekend) grossed this weekend and a bit over 9K admissions (+75% from last weekend) sold in overall. Drive-ins are selling well over multiplex theatres.

Cinemex hasn't reopened any location but they're ready for it.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

When will you go back to theaters. I know Cinepolis is doing a whole safety protocol but what will it take for you to return to theaters considering the situation hasn't ended and will still take some time?

A lot of people are afraid still to go outside to work let alone to restaurants and entertainment.

Do you really think Mulan and Tenet will stay put in July? If everything goes as planned for what I understand cinemas in Mexico City will open only until June 24 or 25th and that's with only 40% attendance right? So... will things really improve in one month for cinemas to allow 100% of attendance and will people really go in droves to the movie theaters?

3 hours ago, carlsalf said:

When will you go back to theaters. I know Cinepolis is doing a whole safety protocol but what will it take for you to return to theaters considering the situation hasn't ended and will still take some time?

A lot of people are afraid still to go outside to work let alone to restaurants and entertainment.

Do you really think Mulan and Tenet will stay put in July? If everything goes as planned for what I understand cinemas in Mexico City will open only until June 24 or 25th and that's with only 40% attendance right? So... will things really improve in one month for cinemas to allow 100% of attendance and will people really go in droves to the movie theaters?

I won't attend for the rest of the year and probably until mid next year. The situation will take some time to recover as we haven't even reached the peak of cases. 

And no, theatres won't expand any capacity. Forecast for both Mulan and Tenet aren't very promising unless they extend its runs since we know this is a front-loaded territory but even with that there's no guarantee they'll keep their audiences. From where I see it Tenet would barely register over $1M USD (compared to $5M+ from Nolan's two latest titles) and Mulan would be just over/under $10M USD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cinemex now opening as well on selected cities. They're offering special discounts for re-releases and buying tickets through app or website. 

At the same time as days go by more and more drive-ins are opened and announced across the country. Autocinema Coyote -with two locations in Mexico City- reached deals since last year with distributors such as Corazón, Warner/Universal and Sony to get day-to-date releases for some of their titles so it'll be interesting to see how it goes for potential new openers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Only two more low-tier cities re-opened this weekend. Seberg and russian title Yaga were the new releases. 

Cinemex is the one making the bigger effort:
- In adition to discounts on tickets purchased through app and website they're also giving discounts on concessions.
- Re-releases of Disney titles though different phases. This weekend was the first phase with The Lion King, Zootopia and Inside Out.
- Free admission to medical staff

• Like 3

More than half of states have moved to safer phases but permissions to reopen still depend on every local government. Jalisco (2nd major state) will allow reopenings next week but Mexico City (Major market) and Nuevo León (3rd major market) are very uncertain. 

Cinépolis may see lay-offs in some locations if they don't reopen during July. https://www.forbes.com.mx/negocios-cinepolis-perdio-83-5-millones-de-boletos-por-la-pandemia-que-no-podra-recuperar/

Cinemex expects the same and in case of not being able to reopen by august-september they'll start to close locations. https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/cartera/por-virus-cinemex-pierde-mil-750-mdp

Smaller chains will struggle and some may be gone. Art-houses have been looking for public funding after their closures and the future for them looks darker. 

• Sad 2

Re-opening has been slow so far. A month after first states allowed theatres reopen with limited capacity overall BO still behind $100K USD per weekend and admissions fall below 30K admissions. 

Jalisco (2nd largest market) shutdown all theatres after let them reopen for a few days and reopening for other major markets like Mexico City, Nuevo León and Tijuana still look distant as cases keep growing. Other states have been very restrictive when comes to capacity and only allow 20%-30% of it. 

Canacine announced the permanent closure of 14 theatres across the country from both major chains https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/espectaculos/acaba-la-funcion-para-14-cines-cuarentena-los-deja-en-quiebra

Both Cinépolis and Cinemex are still making efforts to draw crowds getting re-release deals with Disney (with titles like The Greatest Showman, Aladdin, Captain Marvel, The Lion King, Civil War, among others) and Warner (showing classics such as Rebel without a Cause, 2001, Casablanca and The Exorcist).

Scoob and local title Amores Modernos will be the newcomers that will test the market next weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Past week kept steady results but this weekend saw a decline in both revenue and admissions. Scooby was delayed and there seems to be new material for distributors to keep releasing. Plus some states had to shutdown theatres again.

I've been hearing that at least Cinépolis is evaluating more locations to be permanently closed so won't surprise if Cinemex is doing the same. However they're only closing locations 20+ years old or that were never profitable (Monterrey has an excess of cinemas) and were going to close between this and next year so Covid-19 only speed up that process.

If there's no new material upcoming I can't see the chains holding so much. I can't see Mexico City re-opening before october either and could be similar for other major cities and that's part of the reason why Tenet has no new release date, and it basically applies to most of Latin America.

I'm interesting to see how the shortened theatrical window from Universal unfolds internationally. It would be a win-win here if applies with Cinépolis which already has a VOD platform and is been certainly the most popular during pandemic because they mix its loyalty program with Klic (the platform) and people can use the credit of their loyalty card to rent or buy with a 50% disscount. But it would be painful for small distributors and art-houses. 

5 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Past week kept steady results but this weekend saw a decline in both revenue and admissions. Scooby was delayed and there seems to be new material for distributors to keep releasing. Plus some states had to shutdown theatres again.

I've been hearing that at least Cinépolis is evaluating more locations to be permanently closed so won't surprise if Cinemex is doing the same. However they're only closing locations 20+ years old or that were never profitable (Monterrey has an excess of cinemas) and were going to close between this and next year so Covid-19 only speed up that process.

If there's no new material upcoming I can't see the chains holding so much. I can't see Mexico City re-opening before october either and could be similar for other major cities and that's part of the reason why Tenet has no new release date, and it basically applies to most of Latin America.

I'm interesting to see how the shortened theatrical window from Universal unfolds internationally. It would be a win-win here if applies with Cinépolis which already has a VOD platform and is been certainly the most popular during pandemic because they mix its loyalty program with Klic (the platform) and people can use the credit of their loyalty card to rent or buy with a 50% disscount. But it would be painful for small distributors and art-houses. 

agreed, but probably it will unfold the same way or close to it with the us, as many articles and insiders have pointed it out 1) bc universal has the option that doesnt mean that they will pull the movie out of theatersm thats not the case, 2) big blockbuster movies like tenet wont be affected and 3) these deal will have most if not all of its impact upon small and mid budget movies, but even then the small or mid movies that perform very well, or outperform, will probably have a  normal run or close to it, so imo these deal the only thing that it does for universal, is that they are able now to have a movie in pvod, like 30 days after the release, in other words, it gives them the freedom to choose what they want to do, and b) they can now put a movie that bombed or underperformed in pvod like 17 days into release, still  that doesnt mean that they will pull it out of the theaters, so all in all i dont think that both dom and os releases/runs will have a problem, the blockbusters will keep doing what they do , its the small movies and some mid that will get screwed again ( exept the ones that have good runs though), anyways we wont know the affect that this deal will have for a long time,  imo 

Edited by john2000

8 hours ago, john2000 said:

agreed, but probably it will unfold the same way or close to it with the us, as many articles and insiders have pointed it out 1) bc universal has the option that doesnt mean that they will pull the movie out of theatersm thats not the case, 2) big blockbuster movies like tenet wont be affected and 3) these deal will have most if not all of its impact upon small and mid budget movies, but even then the small or mid movies that perform very well, or outperform, will probably have a  normal run or close to it, so imo these deal the only thing that it does for universal, is that they are able now to have a movie in pvod, like 30 days after the release, in other words, it gives them the freedom to choose what they want to do, and b) they can now put a movie that bombed or underperformed in pvod like 17 days into release, still  that doesnt mean that they will pull it out of the theaters, so all in all i dont think that both dom and os releases/runs will have a problem, the blockbusters will keep doing what they do , its the small movies and some mid that will get screwed again ( exept the ones that have good runs though), anyways we wont know the affect that this deal will have for a long time,  imo 

Small and mid-size movies from foreign territories will suffer because most of the time they get deleays. Heck, even mid-size movies from the big 6 get a month delay (minimum) compared to US like it happened for Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood and Little Women so piracy will hit them hard and smaller movies which only go through art-houses and open limited for big chains will be dead.

On the other hand local cinema would see a big boost. Several movies barely make money during its theatrical run but then explode on VOD or streaming like happened with last year's Chicuarotes or Netflix exclusives such as Roma and Ya No Estoy Aquí so for them it's very positive this strategy since audience don't see much value on seeing them in cinemas but rather they build buzz when they release digitally or in video, especially because local distributors already have exclusive deals with Netflix and Prime Video (which is getting stronger in the country as time goes by)

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

UPDATE. Though there's no date for a reopen of cinemas in Mexico City the local health department published the following rules stipulated for reopening of locations:

• Capacity limited to 30% of each auditorium.
  • No more than 2 attendants per group of people so no families
  • No concessions or any kind of food allowed for sale and consumption
  • Masks are mandatory before, during and after shows.
  • Theatres should promote online ticketing to avoid physical contact.

14 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

UPDATE. Though there's no date for a reopen of cinemas in Mexico City the local health department published the following rules stipulated for reopening of locations:

• Capacity limited to 30% of each auditorium.
  • No more than 2 attendants per group of people so no families
  • No concessions or any kind of food allowed for sale and consumption
  • Masks are mandatory before, during and after shows.
  • Theatres should promote online ticketing to avoid physical contact.

so could be like next month ? if they publish this now ?

On 7/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, john2000 said:

so could be like next month ? if they publish this now ?

They're just publishing them right now to be prepared and Canacine (the local equivalent of NATO) is pushing hard for a reopening in the city but last week recorded the biggest week ever for new cases so I'm sticking with October as the most positive scenario.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

They're just publishing them right now to be prepared and Canacine (the local equivalent of NATO) is pushing hard for a reopening in the city but last week recorded the biggest week ever for new cases so I'm sticking with October as the most positive scenario.

do they at least get financial support, and in general has the goverment help you financially ? if not thats fucked up

On 7/30/2020 at 3:08 PM, Carlangonz said:

Yesterday the App for Cinepolis changed from "Schedule not available" to: "Next Releases" (from August 7th and onwards) when looking at the movie times in CDMX South... Not sure if that means it will open really as I think there are a lot of discrepancies between the local and federal goverments but it change the status indeed.

What do you think about Disney's announcement regarding Mulan? Do you think it will happen with other big titles? Or will it only be a one time thing? I think they are testing the waters and if it works probably more tites will follow that road which will be sad for theater and distribution.

Besides apparently Disney+ was officialy announced for Mexico and Latin America for November... not sure how will that work as right now Amazon Prime works as a partial Disney+ here in Mexico.

19 hours ago, carlsalf said:

Yesterday the App for Cinepolis changed from "Schedule not available" to: "Next Releases" (from August 7th and onwards) when looking at the movie times in CDMX South... Not sure if that means it will open really as I think there are a lot of discrepancies between the local and federal goverments but it change the status indeed.

What do you think about Disney's announcement regarding Mulan? Do you think it will happen with other big titles? Or will it only be a one time thing? I think they are testing the waters and if it works probably more tites will follow that road which will be sad for theater and distribution.

Besides apparently Disney+ was officialy announced for Mexico and Latin America for November... not sure how will that work as right now Amazon Prime works as a partial Disney+ here in Mexico.

Federal Government already gave recommendations to reopen locations in 15 states out of all 31 and Mexico City but final word still up to each local government and each chain. I don't think they will want to take the risk as many states had to close again after surge of cases. 

At least in here we won't be getting it, Disney will release in some of the theatres that already opened but without a wide launch and no Disney+ it will be easily and extremely pirated. 

Prime Video contract ends on October but apparently that only applies for WDAS/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm movies because a lot of Fox properties -especially TV- have been moving from other services to Prime Video and has worked pretty well for both companies. Titles such as How I Met Your Mother (which is like getting Friends in the US) and American Horror Story were a huge win for Amazon and with no Hulu here seems like Disney found a place to move their adult content. I heard is working so well for them that Disney+ might even be part of Prime Video Channels.

• Thanks 1