Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

JULY 26-29 WEEKEND. SOLID RESULT FOR FALLOUT; BEST FOR THE FRANCHISE. LOCAL OPENERS FLOP AND FALLEN KINGDOM ABOUT TO PASS JURASSIC WORLD.

Mission: Impossible – Fallout

-3-Day is 13% ahead of Rogue Nation and 4-Day is 15% ahead of the same title topping it as the best start for the franchise. Also above Fury Road (67.20%+) but behind last year’s Mummy (-15.28%).

- Competition comes in two weeks with The Meg so shouldn’t have any issue to pass $200M and become franchise’s highest grosser, might even top $220M

Hotel Transylvania 3

-Is continuing its run at the same pace over HT2, actually, it increased this weekend going from 27%+ to 29%+, that’s thanks to stunning retentions on weekdays.

- Still tracking to finish with $500M+ if Christopher Robin doesn’t destroy it this weekend, although with three more weeks of holidays both can perfectly co-exist.

The First Purge

-Incredible drop considering its huge opening, after this is only grossing for sport, should finish over/under $10M USD.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

-Locked to pass Jurassic World! Excellent run, should finish with $690M; ahead of JW’s $685M becoming 10th highest grosser of all time.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Mission: Impossible - Fallout $75.76   $91.69 $4.93 1.2 1.5
2 Hotel Transylvania 3 $40.9 -45,68% $406.6 $21.52 844.04K 8.7
3 The First Purge $28.98 -53,18% $147.9 $7.80 540.6K 2.9
4 Más Sabe el Diablo por Viejo $19.84   $23.42 $1.25 360.01K 431.27K
5 Skyscraper $10.11 -66,74% $172.48 $9.12 200.64K 3.3
6 Ahí Viene Cascarrabias $7.71   $8.99 $483K 153.5K 180.73K
7 Ant-Man and the Wasp $6.8 -61,58% $275.14 $14.42 131.49K 5.4
8 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom $6.61 -54,09% $682.55 $34.46 133.96K 13.5
9 Adrift $3.29 -65,72% $22.01 $1.16 44.6K 342.08K
10 Wildling $2.16   $2.56 $137K 42.03K 50.51K

This Thursday opens: Christopher Robin, Darkest Minds, Ya Veremos, Cold Skin, Submergence, Chavela and Loveling

• Like 5

Top 5 of original movies in lc (no remakes, sequels, universes, etc.) with corresponding position in the Top 40. It's a Pixar and Derbez world!

01 02 1,101,564,822   Coco (2017)
02 17   600,377,842    No se Aceptan Devoluciones* (2013)
03 20   575,974,938    Avatar (2009)
04 28   485,873,912    Inside Out (2015)
05 34   456,422,886    How To Be a Latin Lover (2017)

• Like 6

Hello. This is my first post in this forum. How much do you think Christopher Robin will gross in Mexico? I'm going with at least 45 Million Pesos but not sure how to measure interest here (although I know a lot of people who want to see the movie). 

Ya Veremos is being promoted like it could be a really big hit but haven't not heard much interest. Probably 25 Million?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlsalf38 said:

Hello. This is my first post in this forum. How much do you think Christopher Robin will gross in Mexico? I'm going with at least 45 Million Pesos but not sure how to measure interest here (although I know a lot of people who want to see the movie). 

Ya Veremos is being promoted like it could be a really big hit but haven't not heard much interest. Probably 25 Million?

Welcome to the forums :D It's great to have more local people around here

The # of screens for CR is quite low compared to other blockbusters so i don't know why Disney doesn't trust on it, isn't an unknown property. Anything under $5M USD would be disappointing.

Ya Veremos is following a similar strategy to other Videocine titles: a lot of screens and marketing to build buzz post-opening, can explode to $150M+ or stay in the conservative area of $80M-$100M.

17 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Welcome to the forums :D It's great to have more local people around here

The # of screens for CR is quite low compared to other blockbusters so i don't know why Disney doesn't trust on it, isn't an unknown property. Anything under $5M USD would be disappointing.

Ya Veremos is following a similar strategy to other Videocine titles: a lot of screens and marketing to build buzz post-opening, can explode to $150M+ or stay in the conservative area of $80M-$100M.

Well, the numbers were for Opening Weekend¡ So I'm way off with Ya Veremos¡ Hahaha. I have seen that now. Looking at the numbers of screens Ya Veremos is in at least 2 and Christopher Robin only One. I was not planning on seeing Ya Veremos but in the end my familiy will make me see that one. I'm very keen on watching Christopher Robin and next week's The Meg (I love animals-eating people movies¡)

17 minutes ago, carlsalf38 said:

Well, the numbers were for Opening Weekend¡ So I'm way off with Ya Veremos¡ Hahaha. I have seen that now. Looking at the numbers of screens Ya Veremos is in at least 2 and Christopher Robin only One. I was not planning on seeing Ya Veremos but in the end my familiy will make me see that one. I'm very keen on watching Christopher Robin and next week's The Meg (I love animals-eating people movies¡)

Oh! OW I'm expecting $20M-$30M for Ya Veremos but don't know what to expect from Christopher Robin to be honest.

Now I'm thinking it was a bad idea to release both the same day; Ya Veremos is a feel-good comedy for families, same demo as Christopher Robin, although the later is getting a larger number of grown ups (thanks nostalgia). I hope at the end they don't kill each other for the audience.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Oh! OW I'm expecting $20M-$30M for Ya Veremos but don't know what to expect from Christopher Robin to be honest.

Now I'm thinking it was a bad idea to release both the same day; Ya Veremos is a feel-good comedy for families, same demo as Christopher Robin, although the later is getting a larger number of grown ups (thanks nostalgia). I hope at the end they don't kill each other for the audience.

Well yes. I think Christopher Robin will suffer because of Ya Veremos. I can only hope it has some staying power as it does look good (although of course I haven't seen it, definitely planning on going during the weekend)

This summer has not been that memorable. Other than Avengers, Incredibles or MI:VI I don't think there was anything REALLY exciting (Deadpool 2 was Ok, JW:FK was meh, HT3 was funny but not FUNNY, Ant-Man delivered... didn't see Solo or Skyscrapper and don't plan on seeing Equalizer 2 or Mamma Mia). Not a very memorable time for Blockbusters

10 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

I just watched the trailer after reading your description and it looks super emotional and funny that movie!

Hopefully Cinepolis will open it here in Panama

8 hours ago, carlsalf38 said:

Well yes. I think Christopher Robin will suffer because of Ya Veremos. I can only hope it has some staying power as it does look good (although of course I haven't seen it, definitely planning on going during the weekend)

This summer has not been that memorable. Other than Avengers, Incredibles or MI:VI I don't think there was anything REALLY exciting (Deadpool 2 was Ok, JW:FK was meh, HT3 was funny but not FUNNY, Ant-Man delivered... didn't see Solo or Skyscrapper and don't plan on seeing Equalizer 2 or Mamma Mia). Not a very memorable time for Blockbusters

It needs good wom and stay with 1,500+ screens for at least a couple of weeks.

Compared to last year's summer this one is way better for me; really liked IW, enjoyed Deadpool 2 and loved I2, Fallout and Isle of Dogs (not a blockbuster tho). 2019 should be more interesting.

1 hour ago, PanaMovie said:

I just watched the trailer after reading your description and it looks super emotional and funny that movie!

Hopefully Cinepolis will open it here in Panama

I guess you'll get it eventually, although I'm not sure Videocine works there, if not it should arrive with whoever distributes Lionsgate/Pantelion.

• Like 1

Apparently Disney is planning a 10th anniversary celebration of the MCU re-releasing 16 of MCU's titles from August 23 until September 30, i assume that doesn't include TIH and SM:HC neither AMATW, wonder which might be the other remaining.

Unexpected weekend...

Ya Veremos is looking for a $65M-$75M 4-Day weekend, biggest opening for a local this year and higher than past year's Hazlo como Hombre. 

Mission Impossible aims a 55%-60% drop, but keeps tracking towards a $210M+ final number.

Christopher Robin couldn't even top 1,000 screens -it barely went over 800- and it'll finish the 4-Day between $24M-$28M

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

According to estimates by Deadline and Screen Daily:

Christopher Robin opened with $26M across its 4-Day opening and #3 after Ya Veremos and Fallout

Fallout went over my estimate and should be between $170M-$175M by tomorrow. Crazy internal multi for the FSS 

Hotel Transylvania 3 is now over $450M

Darkest Minds opened with $18M

The First Purge is now close to $180M after a hard drop this frame

JW:FK and AMATW are now out of the weekend's Top 10, former with $690M and the later with $282M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't seen Isle of Dogs, although I really would like to see it soon, I'm just waiting to see it in digital.

During the weekend I saw "Hasta que la Boda nos Separe" I didn't like it. I laugh like three times during whole movie and really dislike the characters.

Will have to see "Ya Veremos" specially because it will surely gross more than 200 Million.

Strange Disney didn't trust Christopher Robin, I really think it looked good. Almost all theaters had it dubbed in Spanish (I don't like watching dubbed movies) so I couldn't find the right time to see it.

AUGUST 02-05 WEEKEND. YA VEREMOS: 4TH HIGHEST LOCAL OPENER EVER; CHRISTOPHER ROBIN FAILS AND TRANSYLVANIA 3 CLOSE TO 10M ADMISSIONS

Ya Veremos

-4th highest opening for a local film only behind No Se Aceptan Devoluciones, ¿Qué Culpa Tiene el Niño? and No Manches, Frida. Highest of the year beating La Boda de Valentina.

- Should pass $200M with ease, might even reach $250M+ if carries good wom.

Mission: Impossible – Fallout

-Running 19.28% ahead of Rogue Nation at the same point of release due to a higher ticket price average result of good numbers from IMAX and PLF screens and a better weekend hold.

- Among other comps: thanks to better weekdays is running at same pace as Mummy last year, already surpassed the lifetime gross of Fury Road and running 22% ahead of Spectre. For a spy film is doing exceptionally well.

Christopher Robin

-Ended the weekend a bit over 1,000 screens so… not good, probably Disney smelled another Wrinkle in Time –and not just here but worldwide- and decided to go low on both theatres and screens.

- Don’t know what use as comp; is right in the middle between Tomorrowland (39% under/$100M total) and Wrinkle in Time (43% over/$40M total).

Hotel Transylvania 3

-Should pass 10M admissions by Thursday or Friday becoming Sony's third title to pass the mark and the first in 11 years after Spider-Man 3! $500M will be a photo finish

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

-Officially now is the 10th highest grosser of all-time, rest as #14 at the admissions chart.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Ya Veremos $61.06   $73.10 $3.92 1.14 1.39
2 Mission: Impossible - Fallout $36.10 -52,34% $168.76 $9.07 572.73K 2.95
3 Hotel Transylvania 3 $24.04 -41,22% $457.04 $24.23 504.32K 9.88
4 Christopher Robin $23.48   $26.96 $1.44 420.13K 488.17K
5 The Darkest Minds $17.37   $20.20 $1.08 331.67K 391.70K
6 The First Purge $11.83 -59,17% $177.87 $9.41 227.65K 3.6
7 Más Sabe el Diablo por Viejo $8.38 -57,76% $44.65 $2.39 148.59K 887.15K
8 Ahí Viene Cascarrabias $4.26 -44,74% $18.44 $991K 80.51K 390.69K
9 Skyscraper $3.10 -69,33% $181.97 $9.63 64.4K 3.62
10 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom $2.68 -59,45% $689.50 $34.83 54.18K 13.69

This Friday opens: The Meg, Luis & The Aliens, Loving Pablo, Bad Samaritan and Sage Femme

• Like 5

Well, too bad about Christopher Robin. I don't think it will get to 100M at all. That will need a miracle¡

Ya Veremos will be the highest grossing Mexican movie this year. Don't see anything else doing more than 200M

And for the new openers, I really want to see The Meg. I love those kind of movies but what will it gross OW? 25-30? Can it get to 35? Have seen a lot of promotion for that one but then I may be biased.

From Deadline:

Bittersweet drama Ya Veremos (We’ll See) has posted the second-biggest opening weekend ever for a Mexican film in its home market. The film’s top-spot $3.9M ($73M Mexican Pesos) weekend haul was second in the all-time rankings behind 2013 box office sensation Instructions Not Included, the most successful Spanish-language film ever at the global box office, which raked in $45M stateside for Lionsgate’s Pantelion and $100M worldwide.