Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Frozen Empire spooks with $2.7M OW; Kung Fu P4nd4 reaches $22.8M, Dune 2 crosses $10M.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, carlsalf38 said:

So... for Venom you're going with 150M+? I haven't heard good things about it and I bought tickets for Imax on Sunday (afternoon) and theather was basically empty so... But you are better than me at this so let's say 130M (just to be safe¡ Hahaha)

Do you have the complete boxoffice numbers for this year in Mexico? I only have the ones that are published by Canacine (this is only a hobby) but as they only publish the top 10, I cannot know of all the movies that are outside that range or where do you see the numbers (if they are published at all)?

Yeah, I'm seeing $130M-$160M for Venom, buzz is been slowing but still strong to have a huge opening. 

I really don't have Top 10 yearly outside of the info that share with @Purple Minion, he's the one that makes the yearly and all-time charts. 

3 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

It could make another $200M with some other upcoming comedies and other titles like Museo. Intrigued by Roma, the limited screenings it held here at Mexico City grossed $300K on its one week run.

• Like 1

Standing with $140M+ for Venom, PS for midnights in CDMX are stronger than last year's Justice League, Wonder Woman and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Diana Prince's movie isn't a fair comp since was really a walk-up hit but i do see it opening around Guardians' numbers.

• Thanks 1

By the way... Warner is releasing A Star Is Born tomorrow in a very tiny number of theatres, it expands to a few more locations on Monday and expands nationwide on next friday. They want to build proper wom. Could it top La La Land's $85M gross? 

Corrected my initial post, BoxOfficeReport had a wrong number earlier. Fab OW for Veneno, biggest for a standalone superhero movie, higher than Doctor Strange (+118%), Ant-Man And The Wasp (+77%), Logan (+72%) and Thor: Ragnarok (36%).

@Carlangonz if it does 190M+ lc, would it enter the all time Top 10?

Edited by Purple Minion

That really was a very good number for Venom. 189 Million¡ Great. 

Although everything else basically die this weekend due to the monster that Venom was

For this weekend. What do you think about A Star is Born? I don't think it will be a big sucess here but Oscar Buzz can probably lift it a little bit

Goosebumps 2 can in the end be the winner with 35-40M probably

On 10/10/2018 at 1:54 AM, Purple Minion said:

If it doesn't collapse on its second week, Venom could reach 500M lc.  Who would have thought.

From what I'm seeing i don't think so, had considerably low weekdays compared to opening and by monday should be 9%-11% behind Homecoming, with Halloween and Bohemian Rhapsody around the corner don't think it can make it.

Goosebumps and Star Is Born are neck-to-neck for #2 this weekend, but due to its family appeal Goosebumps is winning. Both aim to $20M+

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

$1.3M OW for A Star Is Born. Bit on the lower range of expectations, isn't it?

Kinda underwhelming but it had good legs for the weekend and a solid PSA, we'll see if wom help it to keep screens and shows. 

OCTOBER 12-14 WEEKEND. VENOM REPEATS ON TOP; GOOSEBUMPS AND STAR IS BORN DON’T EXPLODE.

Venom

-Running 7.79% behind Spider-Man: Homecoming. This weekend’s drop was actually pretty good considering it’s a CBM.

- This weekend faces a $100M+ opener: Halloween. Anyway, should finish with $445M-$455M as Sony’s third highest grosser title only behind this year’s Hotel Transylvania 3 and Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Venom $84.20 -55,52% $336.12 $17.69 1.5 6.3
2 Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween $32.3   $32.3 $1.69 667.9K 667.9K
3 A Star Is Born $20.8   $23.8 $1.24 295.7K 346K
4 Smallfoot $17.5 -48,22% $145.4 $7.69 371.3K 3.1
5 Te Juro que yo no Fui $12.8   $12.8 $671K 165.1K 265.1K
6 Ni Tú Ni Yo $4.66   $4.66 $244K 95.5K 95.5K
7 Bleeding Steel $2.86   $2.86 $149K 57.62K 57.62K
8 A Simple Favor $2.39 -64,85% $41.5 $2.18 31.03K 621.84K
9 The Predator $1.63 -75,30% $140.74 $7.47 33.7K 2.75
10 Papillon $1.4 -72,05% $28.5 $1.50 17.62K 494.82K

This Friday opens: Halloween, Cinderella and the Secret Prince, Si Yo Fuera Tú, Rebeldes de Altura, Les Dents, Pipi, Au Lit!, The Bookshop, Hearts Bit Loud, La Otra Parte, El Hombre Detrás de la Máscara, Be Afraid and Virus Tropical.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Halloween's midnights are quite low compared to juggernauts like It and Conjuring franchise, but this is also a franchise that isn't as big as those ones so it will be less front-loaded. 

Expecting $110M-$130M opening, my only concern are screens, it'll start with high 2,000-low 3,000. Buzz is strong so could really blow up any expectation.

• Like 2

$5M+ OW projected for Jalogüin, as per Deadline:

The estimate $5.1M Mexico bow at 830 locations is the best opening for a Blumhouse film ever and 5th all-time highest for a horror film. The weekend is tracking over The Conjuring (+73%), Lights Out (+181%) and Happy Death Day (+527%).

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1