cannastop

Best Original Song 2022

So far the only candidates I'm familiar with for movies released in 2022 are 

1. "Hold My Hand" from Top Gun: Maverick written by Lady Gaga and Michael Tucker
  2. "Nobody Like U" from Turning Red written by Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell

I think there's enough hype around the invented boy band from Turning Red for an Oscar push, but maybe the song isn't enough to win an Oscar. I think Lady Gaga has the upper hand again this year.

Really pulling for Turning Red to pull through for a nomination not just because I'm a huge fan of the movie but also because I am curious to see how they'd pull off the live performance of the song for the ceremony.

https://variety.com/lists/2023-oscars-predictions-ranked-best-picture/best-original-song-2023/

LMAO Variety. @YourMother looks like Lyle will win an Oscar!

Babylon” (Paramount Pictures)
Unknown possible song
Lyle, Lyle Crocodile” (Sony Pictures)***
To be announced
I Wanna Dance with Somebody” (Sony Pictures)
Unknown possible song
Wendell and Wild” (Netflix)
Unknown possible song
White Bird: A Wonder Story” (Lionsgate)
Unknown possible song

Best Original Song is one of this year’s strongest Oscar categories and has potential to provide a star-studded slew of performers for the next Oscar show.

In addition to “Hold My Hand” by Lady Gaga;

Taylor Swift has “Carolina” for Where the Crawdads Sing which can easily land here if that film takes off.

Then Diana Ross has a song for Minions 2.

Doja Cat’s “Vegas” could be another nom for Elvis. That song became a minor viral hit and could easily happen.

So yeah, ABC is potentially about to be very happy with the selection of Song nominees we could get.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SLAM! said:

Taylor Swift has “Carolina” for Where the Crawdads Sing which can easily land here if that film takes off.

Then Diana Ross has a song for Minions 2.

Well I've heard Taylor Swift has tried to get nominated in this category before and failed.

Also kind of doubt Minions 2 will get any nominations unless that song is a big hit like "Happy" was.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:01 AM, cannastop said:

OK apparently that article was from all the way back in April.

A more recent prediction has "Nobody Like U" from Turning Red as a frontfrunner for this category!

https://variety.com/lists/oscars-contenders-first-half-2022-elvis-everything-everywhere-all-at-once-top-gun-maverick/original-song-nobody-like-u-from-turning-red-pixar/

:ohmygod:

But Billie Eilish and Finneas did win last year... does that matter? I mean Alan Menken won year after year too.

Edit: The article mentions Lady Gaga's song for Top Gun as a kind of Runner Up

Edited by cannastop

Two notes about this category.

- "I Ain't Worried" (Top Gun: Maverick) may be ineligible. I think the Academy made it so that songs with samples in it are ineligible. If "I Ain't Worried" is ineligible then that'll likely boost the chances "Hold My Hand" has at getting nominated.

- "Vegas" and other songs from Elvis will also be affected by ineligibility of songs with samples. In fact, if anything from the Elvis soundtrack doesn't have samples and it actually shows up on a submission list for Original Song, I'd keep an eye on it. Elvis is one of the biggest hits of the year and a song's attachment to the film could boost it.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, SLAM! said:

Two notes about this category.

- "I Ain't Worried" (Top Gun: Maverick) may be ineligible. I think the Academy made it so that songs with samples in it are ineligible. If "I Ain't Worried" is ineligible then that'll likely boost the chances "Hold My Hand" has at getting nominated.

- "Vegas" and other songs from Elvis will also be affected by ineligibility of songs with samples. In fact, if anything from the Elvis soundtrack doesn't have samples and it actually shows up on a submission list for Original Song, I'd keep an eye on it. Elvis is one of the biggest hits of the year and a song's attachment to the film could boost it.

The last few James Bond songs contained some elements of the original Bond theme and they've still won. Maybe you can get away with a few similar notes or a chord progression and it's not considered a proper sample? The songs you mention do seem to have more overt examples of sampling, though. Still, this feels like a bit of a campaign ad:

There are plenty of examples with musicals where the song from the movie that gets pushed for awards isn't considered the "best" or isn't the most popular. Just last year, it happened with Encanto.

For a non-musical, though, a similar example doesn't easily come to mind. If the Academy is a stickler about samples, then Paramount pushes "Hold My Hand". If not...they have to go with the actual hit, right?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The last few James Bond songs contained some elements of the original Bond theme and they've still won. Maybe you can get away with a few similar notes or a chord progression and it's not considered a proper sample? The songs you mention do seem to have more overt examples of sampling, though. Still, this feels like a bit of a campaign ad:

There are plenty of examples with musicals where the song from the movie that gets pushed for awards isn't considered the "best" or isn't the most popular. Just last year, it happened with Encanto.

For a non-musical, though, a similar example doesn't easily come to mind. If the Academy is a stickler about samples, then Paramount pushes "Hold My Hand". If not...they have to go with the actual hit, right?

Usually it's whatever is the most emotional/power ballad-y song that ends up getting pushed, so "Hold My Hand" would make sense in any scenario. In the case of Encanto, "Dos Oruguitas" was that movie's "Remember Me" so it's no surprise why they pushed that over "We Don't Talk About Bruno" (though I'm guessing they might've changed that if they had any idea the song would become such a sensation).

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Usually it's whatever is the most emotional/power ballad-y song that ends up getting pushed, so "Hold My Hand" would make sense in any scenario. In the case of Encanto, "Dos Oruguitas" was that movie's "Remember Me" so it's no surprise why they pushed that over "We Don't Talk About Bruno" (though I'm guessing they might've changed that if they had any idea the song would become such a sensation).

That's why it gets so boring when the nominees are performed at the Oscars. Mix up the types of songs that get nominated, AMPAS!

Gaga just won in the category not too long ago, is there any incentive to give her another Oscar for a song that's not regarded nearly as well? Plus, her campaigning can be...a lot, and I don't think it helped her last season.

*If* "I Ain't Worried" is eligible and gets in, it would probably stand out among a sea of ballads that play over the credits. Do we have any "thematically important within the movie" songs in serious contention this year? Very wary of anything attached to Don't Worry Darling at the moment...

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

That's why it gets so boring when the nominees are performed at the Oscars. Mix up the types of songs that get nominated, AMPAS!

Gaga just won in the category not too long ago, is there any incentive to give her another Oscar for a song that's not regarded nearly as well? Plus, her campaigning can be...a lot, and I don't think it helped her last season.

*If* "I Ain't Worried" is eligible and gets in, it would probably stand out among a sea of ballads that play over the credits. Do we have any "thematically important within the movie" songs in serious contention this year? Very wary of anything attached to Don't Worry Darling at the moment...

Is there any word as to who (if anyone?) is doing a song for Avatar 2? I know the Leona Lewis song for the original went nowhere (although the Globes nominated it lol) but you never know!

Also, shouldn't rule out a song for Black Panther 2 since the first was nominated.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Is there any word as to who (if anyone?) is doing a song for Avatar 2? I know the Leona Lewis song for the original went nowhere (although the Globes nominated it lol) but you never know!

Also, shouldn't rule out a song for Black Panther 2 since the first was nominated.

"I See You" absolutely wilted in comparison to "My Heart Will Go On". You forget that the release of Titanic and Avatar were closer in time than the release of Avatar and Avatar 2 will be. Maybe an Avatar 2 song would have an easier go at the Oscar.

"All the Stars" was a credits song but given the events of the trailer, it wouldn't surprise me if Black Panther 2 features an original song within the movie.

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

"I See You" absolutely wilted in comparison to "My Heart Will Go On". You forget that the release of Titanic and Avatar were closer in time than the release of Avatar and Avatar 2 will be. Maybe an Avatar 2 song would have an easier go at the Oscar.

To be fair, "I See You" is also not even that good of a song (not that that's stopped subpar songs from being nominated and in some cases even winning *cough*"Writing's On the Wall"*cough* in the past, I know).

Watch Pasek and Paul win the Oscar for one of the songs from that Shawn Mendes as a crocodile movie lmao.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Shortlist:

“Time” from “Amsterdam”
“Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength)” from “Avatar: The Way of Water”
“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
“This Is A Life” from “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“Ciao Papa” from “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”
“Til You’re Home” from “A Man Called Otto”
“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR”
“My Mind & Me” from “Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me”
“Good Afternoon” from “Spirited”
“Applause” from “Tell It like a Woman”
“Stand Up” from “Till”
“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick”
“Dust & Ash” from “The Voice of Dust and Ash”
“Carolina” from “Where the Crawdads Sing”
“New Body Rhumba” from “White Noise”

https://deadline.com/2022/12/oscar-shortlists-2023-categories-international-documentary-shorts-1235204412/

• Like 1