The Wild Eric

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

I don't think January really is a "dumping ground" as much as conventional wisdom indicates. People still go to the movies quite a bit during that time, it's just that studios have every incentive to actually open their goods in December for awards considerations and full exploitation of the holiday season

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't think January really is a "dumping ground" as much as conventional wisdom indicates. People still go to the movies quite a bit during that time, it's just that studios have every incentive to actually open their goods in December for awards considerations and full exploitation of the holiday season

Yeah maybe you can have financially successful movies in January, but awards winners they are not.

Wasn't it a meme that January is the place for movies like Paul Blart?

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah maybe you can have financially successful movies in January, but awards winners they are not.

Wasn't it a meme that January is the place for movies like Paul Blart?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

Blade still coming this year though. I also feel Tiger’s Apprentice would move to 2024 to save itself from Migration. Elemental should move if it’s facing Fast X OW too.

Something big needs to be in Christmas. Wonka is a wildcard and no one cares enough about Afterlife 2 for it pull in good numbers. The best choices would be Hunger Games, The Marvels or Indy 5.

Hunger Games prequel won't be that big. The Marvels will see a big drop from Captain Marvel. Totally carried by Endgame hype and was extremely mediocre. 

Indy 5 is a good choice. I think Snow White could be a really good choice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Its a "dumping ground" in that its releases, outside of award contenders and their expansions, that were not deemed good enough to get summer, holiday, or even spring placement

That's not to say every release is worthless; sometimes a studio just has a packed calendar, but its definitely a short straw among the possible release windows

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

NFL postseason being in January probably isn't ideal for movies.

It doesn't help for sure but the bigger issue is definitely that the awards movies are expanding through January and most studios have one or the other movie in the mix for awards they want to concentrate on. So they dump the bad movies there. 

Which is why when a January release actually turns out to be good like a Bad Boys 3, everyone is surprised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

There is a new trend. Movie versions of Broadway versions of movies lol. 

Netflix is releasing Matilda the musical this christmas. And The Colour purple, Mean Girls and Sunset boulevards are in production. 

They all really seem terribile ideas

New trend? Girl.

Sunset Boulevard is going to finally win Glenn Close her Oscar.

Blade could be big, even the MCU skeptics like me hyped for that one. No indication it is coming 2023 though. Is Zegler Snow White gonna be ready for 2023 if they're shooting Hunger Games?

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Blade could be big, even the MCU skeptics like me hyped for that one. No indication it is coming 2023 though. Is Zegler Snow White gonna be ready for 2023 if they're shooting Hunger Games?

If it's MCU I'm not hyped. I really hated that last Spidey

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

You think it could outgross Mary Poppins Returns?

I think that's the gist, yeah.

Though that's another movie that lots of people were bullish on to go above $300m dom, and ended up lower than $180 m dom.