cannastop

Women Talking | Based on the Novel by Miriam Toews | Sarah Polley Directing | Frances McDormand, Rooney Mara | December 2, 2022

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Now launching December 23 in NY/LA/Toronto/Chicago, wide TBD I guess.

‘Women Talking’: Sarah Polley Movie To Open Over Christmas Weekend – Deadline

Soo...nothing wise on Christmas Day then? I realize Sunday is an awkward day for an opening but in 2016 at least two movies expanded wide on that day (Fences, La La Land).

1 minute ago, Verrows said:

Soo...nothing wise on Christmas Day then? I realize Sunday is an awkward day for an opening but in 2016 at least two movies expanded wide on that day (Fences, La La Land).

Nope, it appears not. Maybe A24 will expand The Whale wide on Christmas Day but that sounds like just as much of a tough sell around the holidays as this does. Christmas through New Year's is shaping up to be all about Avatar this year.

Saw this tonight and didn't like it much

The color grade is immediately off-putting. The film is more interested in raising questions than having a discourse so the film repeats the same rhetoric--interesting moral dilemma undercut by an immediate faux-lyric and graceless montage. Even the musical cues are repetitive. The conflict is more restricted to narrative means. The performances are overblown with exception of Rooney whom is quite easily the MVP.

MGM was wise to move release date. It would have died hard by the 16th. At least now they can market the Golden globe nominations it'll receive and hope for the best

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

You know when you see a movie and think “I must have missed something” because all the pieces are there for you to really love it, but you felt a strange sense of disengagement?

This is a really well-crafted, riveting, and oftentimes very upsetting movie. But for some reason I just couldn’t find myself FEELING everything the film wanted me to feel. Just because of the subject matter, I’m going to compare it to She Said; watching that movie, not only did I empathize with all the horrible things that were happening throughout the film, those feelings transcended purely “watching a film” to feeling genuinely sick to my stomach. 

I don’t know, maybe I just watched it at a time when I was distracted by other things, worried about school/family/life/anything that can take me away from a film, maybe I was too tired when I watched it to fully enjoy it, but I’m not sure. For me, stretches of it fell flat when I knew objectively I should be riveted based on the content of what’s on screen, as well as the level of craftsmanship in every respect.