The Wild Eric

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Just now, Doffy said:

Technically jwd will gross more than ds2 if we don't count opening Weeknd.

Because it is the better movie.

Which isn't saying much because all 3 Strange, Thor amd Dominion are some of the most disappointing movies their respective franchises ever made. 

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

GotG2 released the first weekend of May and, I assume, had more new competition than TLT will deal with and TLT of course the second weekend of July release in the heart of summer days. 

Can TLT get to 145M+ with the 41.75M Saturday? Could be close if the Sunday drop is soft.

DS2 dropped 67% on second weekend with firestarter doing sub 5m.

What matters is WOM and in this case it's not good.

Comparing it to GOTG 2 a may release even which is not the right comp . WOM for that was better.

Home coming and antman2 had also had better WoM too and both dropped low 60s . 

Expect this to drop bigger then stabilize to finish around 350m if all goes well.

MCU stuff released in July over the recent past...

Homecoming 2.85 OW multiplier 334M DOM 

Far From Home ??? OW multiplier as it opened on a Tuesday... Still, legged it out to 390M DOM

Ant Man 3.16 OW multiplier 181M DOM

Ant Man and Wasp 2.86 OW multiplier 217M DOM

Summer days really helps inflate the legs for everything but with those recent multi numbers, I'd think a 2.5+ multi for Thor 4 should happen. Seems a reasonable expectation at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

This number seems a bit underwhelming to me. It’s a little under $2400 per day per theater, or roughly what TGM earned per theater last Sunday (day 38). It doesn’t seem to be crossing over much to families; but then again the marketing for the film can’t break the grip the Minions/Dinos/Space Rangers/Streaming Services have on families right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Not that I’m looking to give the mousehouse any more marker power than they already have, but I think it would a smart long term play to design and then help implement (ie share install costs) of a new PLF format. Something that could eventually rival the IMAX brand, enhance the theatrical experience and help fill the current gap between PLF demand and supply 

They partially shot themselves in the foot with their D+ streaming push, and this would be a way to reverse that trend. If consumers are being more selective with their spending, then you have to give them better value to make it worth the cost

agree. We know the decree is coming to an end in a few weeks, so I think we’ll see one of the majors step in and invest big time in one of the majors.  Nobody knows the business of installing magic into external entertainment than the mouse.  

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

This number seems a bit underwhelming to me. It’s a little under $2400 per day per theater, or roughly what TGM earned per theater last Sunday (day 38). It doesn’t seem to be crossing over much to families; but then again the marketing for the film can’t break the grip the Minions/Dinos/Space Rangers/Streaming Services have on families right now.

The movie just really hasn't be doing well

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Because it is the better movie.

Which isn't saying much because all 3 Strange, Thor amd Dominion are some of the most disappointing movies their respective franchises ever made. 

It's only going to gross more by something like 5M~ depending on late legs. After this weekend JWD is pacing 35M~ behind JFWK and will likely finish with something like 375M~ for 230M~ post OW DOM. DS2 will do something like 225M~ post OW DOM. I'd say it just shows that both had mixed WoM. As in, they essentially will make the same after their OW DOM. While DS2 had the better head start from a larger OW DOM demand, JWD had the benefit of Father's Day earlier in its run, Juneteenth, 4th of July and true inflated summer days.

• Like 1

That Dominion is at 30% and L&T at 68% is just absurd. 

I hated some of Dominion but still had a better time with it than L&T. I know it’s all subjective, but there’s definitely some substantial easy lays when it comes to mediocre MCU. 

I cannot fathom a world where almost 70% of film critics think L&T is a good movie they can recommend as being entirely successful.  The reality is that the RT world is very heavily weighted towards bloggers now, whose bread and butter is this universe.  Metacritic’s 57 is much more in line with where it should be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's only going to gross more by something like 5M~ depending on late legs. After this weekend JWD is pacing 35M~ behind JFWK and will likely finish with something like 375M~ for 230M~ post OW DOM. DS2 will do something like 225M~ post OW DOM. I'd say it just shows that both had mixed WoM. As in, they essentially will make the same after their OW DOM. While DS2 had the better head start from a larger OW DOM demand, JWD had the benefit of Father's Day earlier in its run, Juneteenth, 4th of July and true inflated summer days.

Yeah but Multiversal Madness didn't had to contend with Top Gun Maverick for 3 weeks.

Dominion had Maverick on a historcal run, Lightyear, Black Phone, Elvis for its initial 3 weeks.

A bit more accurate...!!

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

That Dominion is at 30% and L&T at 68% is just absurd. 

I hated some of Dominion but still had a better time with it than L&T. I know it’s all subjective, but there’s definitely some substantial easy lays when it comes to mediocre MCU. 

I cannot fathom a world where almost 70% of film critics think L&T is a good movie they can recommend as being entirely successful.  The reality is that the RT world is very heavily weighted towards bloggers now, whose bread and butter is this universe.  Metacritic’s 57 is much more in line with where it should be. 

You would have the same problem with Metacritic where L&T is 57 and Dominion is 38. RT and Metacritic just measure different things, but even the traditional critics liked L&T more than Dominion (I also personally preferred Dominion). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah but Multiversal Madness didn't had to contend with Top Gun Maverick for 3 weeks.

Dominion had Maverick on a historcal run, Lightyear, Black Phone, Elvis for its initial 3 weeks.

All true which somewhat offsets the benefit of the summer days and holidays earlier in JWD's run. So, again, still, each had their own strengths with release day. And, they'll finish about 5M apart post OW DOM. So... They pretty much sold the same number of tickets with a very slight edge to JWD... Which, to me, speaks to the WoM of both being mixed. This would be more compelling if JWD did or somehow does something like 20M+ or 30M+ more than DS2 post OW DOM. As is, just looks like two movies that if better received each would've and should've made at least 250M+ post OW DOM. Neither did. And, likely, neither will come close to that. They're about the same.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

All true which somewhat offsets the benefit of the summer days and holidays earlier in JWD's run. So, again, still, each had their own strengths with release day. And, they'll finish about 5M apart post OW DOM. So... They pretty much sold the same number of tickets with a very slight edge to JWD... Which, to me, speaks to the WoM of both being mixed. This would be more compelling if JWD did or somehow does something like 20M+ or 30M+ more than DS2 post OW DOM. As is, just looks like two movies that if better received each would've and should've made at least 250M+ post OW DOM. Neither did. And, likely, neither will come close to that. They're about the same.

Yeah, one thing common with both that they both didn't deliver what they promised.

Dr Strange promised Multiverse of Madness, it delivered barely little Multiversal Madness.

Dominion promised Dinosaurs living with humans and resulting consequences, and it delivered a sequel of A Bug's Life.