The Wild Eric

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah I can remember when Spider-Man broke the 100 million opening weekend how big of a deal that was. The mojo forums got going in 2002 and that was a huge topic for us naturally.

Yeah! Potter breaking it with 90M in November then Spider-man crushing that record with 115M in May. Was nuts. Back then a fair of summer blockbuster loved that 5 day opening. Phantom Menace would've had the record easily had it opened on a Friday.

• Like 1

The MCU started in 2008 and I have seen every single one of those movies in theaters and that is nuts. What is even more scary is that I am reaching the point of my life where I know that won't happen for much longer and it makes me sad.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Since I asked the question, I need to answer. 

I'm 33 and I've been interested in the box office since HP1. My first inclination to what box office was, was hearing that HP1 broke the domestic OW record. With that being said, I didn't start actively following until Spider-Man 3. I lurked in several forums until making this account right around TFA

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

For reference, how old are some of you? 

49 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I double checked to see

June 2022 had $968,820,288 gross

June 2019 had $1,149,048,054 gross.

So it's about 15.7% lower than 2019. June 2022 is the worst "normal" June since 2007 btw.

But it is at least comparable to previous years, unlike 2020 and 2021.

🤓

Yeah, first June below 1B since then (outside 2020 and 2021).

But April through June were the worst since 2005-2008, January was the worst one since 1990 (outside of 2021).

July probably will stay below 1B too - the two blockbusters opened - yes its half way there, but two 100m openers, won't happen again.

Last July below 1B was 2014 and before that 2002 and 2001 and then all before 1999.

Thinking December could be the first month since December 2019 to be above 1B again and that will be close (needs Avatar to open really big and have great legs and Shazam to perform above the first one - Puss in Boots should help.

(With Chadwick Boseman still alive I would have said November, but Black Panther alone won't be enough to bring the month over 1B (Strange World won't perform well enough).)

• Like 1

Nice. That makes 3 of us who are 47. Another one how used to be active in BOM and early BOT days is @Accursed Arachnid!™. He is also 47. 

That said age is just a number. I feel fitter than when I was 27. I keep pushing my kids to stay fit as well. 

BO wise earliest memory was pre internet in 1989 summer. That was nuts with Indy 3, Ghostbusters 2 and of course the biggest kahuna Batman. But I was not that interested in numbers itself until internet era when I used to follow Guru's weekend article religiously. There was also a site upcomingmovies which I used to read for forthcoming movies. Most of the rumors did not pan out like the extended wait for next batman movie or Back to the future 4. 

18 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

1 hour ago, DAR said:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

38 😬

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’ve been following BO since the mid 90s, back when Entertainment Weekly and Showbizadata were the places to get weekly data. 

Edited by VanillaSkies

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

I find it SO interesting how Sony marketed No Way Home compared to Disney's handling of Strange and Thor. No Way Home revealed almost nothing after what happens in the first 30 minutes and that ignited this lightning-in-a-bottle fervor of people debating if Tobey and Andrew were in the movie, how they'd be in the movie, etc. Less was so much more there. Strange attaches a full trailer to the end of No Way Home and uses Patrick Stewart's voice in the second trailer because they know promising a comparable experience to the "ZOMG" multiverse appearances of No Way Home will get the most butts in seats, and because that movie has relatively little interest in the multiverse audiences are largely displeased. And as someone who unfortunately knows too much about all these movies before I see them, I still watched that first Love & Thunder trailer and presumed the whole thing was gonna be a Guardians team-up movie. The end of Endgame suggests that kind of story, so why not? The second trailer corrects that, but if you only saw the first trailer in front of Doctor Strange, you'd probably be a little confused that they're given nothing to do and leave by minute 20 or so.

So yes, I think this Thor opening is phenomenal for the laziest MCU marketing campaign since Iron Man 2. It shows how much people loved what they did with his character from Ragnarok through Endgame. And like Iron Man 2, it basically matched Ragnarok's opening adjusted for inflation and will barely crest over the last one's gross. At best audiences will find this one forgettable but enjoyable. At worst they'll be actively disappointed by the marketing campaign's vague misdirect, or how much flatter the comedy is than Ragnarok, or the weird tonal shifts this movie probably wisely never tried to reflect in its marketing.

When Doc Ock showed up on the NWH trailer it was a jaw dropping moment and immediately turned it into one of the biggest event films of all time. Wonder what will be the next film to get that kind of hype 

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This has to be Disney I'm guessing

Marvel is not getting back in there anytime soon and the rest of their lineup was never big there anyway.

33 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah I can remember when Spider-Man broke the 100 million opening weekend how big of a deal that was. The mojo forums got going in 2002 and that was a huge topic for us naturally.

Good old Mojo years. There were some fun threads going there. Epic Spidey vs Pirates and obviously TDK opening weekend was fun. Then of course baumer vs world regarding Twilight haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I remember a day after first joining BOM in November 2008, I created a DH2 over Titanic WW Club. 

Harry Potter and the Return of Voldermort With Radcliffe, Watson and Grint it's gonna double Titanic in 2032.

2 hours ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

24, soon to be 25 and already feeling somewhat like a cynic old man when i look at kids today, especially so since im aiming to become a teacher.