The Wild Eric

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Michael Bay can't even control what happens with Ambulance a much lower stakes $40m production. I can't imagine anyone believes directors at Disney/Marvel can be like oh pretty please can we shift the entire release schedule so our CGI can be well rendered. 

They can't but they shouldn't shit on the VFX work.

37 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol at these CGI artists suddenly being "victims" and are so underworked and overpaid.  

Only someone that has never worked an actual shitty job could say something like this.  

Trash take

they are working knowing that the time frame is ridiculous and they overwork to deliver something

you must think they just click a button for them to just wait for it to load

Edited by AnDr3s
  • Like 2

Just now, cannastop said:

I don't think that's what they're implying by saying its dodgy? Everyone knows VFX is almost always a matter of time, not that the workers are doing a bad job? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

I like how this is what you wanted to talk about. This was more pressing to you than the abuse the VFX industry has gone into by the hands of Marvel.

There's a world of difference between Internet funnymen and critics taking a potshot at a faceless conglomerate, which is what they do when they mock Marvel's garbage VFX, than the literal director mocking his own movie looking crappy, due to non-union VFX workers overworked and under a super strict deadline. This and Michael Bay's earlier comments for Ambulance are both super unprofessional and disrespectful, because the mistreatment of the VFX industry is a massive open secret they should have known about.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all, everyone work under abusive deadlines these days, including the directors. 

We all know things are shitty especially after Covid, but people can't take a joke? It does look bad, he knows it's not any worker fault, he just pointed out, it's not the big deal people make out of it. 

And i disagreed that people online trashing it is poking the conglomerate, most people don't even talk about Disney or Marvel when they post 4 bad quality screenshots of a movie to make their relentless bad jokes about it. These endless jerk circle of jokes everytime Marvel drops something is way more offensive than the director doing a silly joke that isn't direct to anyone.

25 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol at these CGI artists suddenly being "victims" and are so underworked and overpaid.  

Only someone that has never worked an actual shitty job could say something like this.  

Probably everyone but the actors, producers and director are severely underpaid compared to the value their adding to the project.

The thing is though, it's like comparing the a football (soccer) player or manager to the staff that work with the team, maybe their physiotherapist. The way these people are paid is just fundementally different, it's like a bidding war. These people have agents because of crazy levels of variance in the contracts, people are making deals.

Meanwhile realistically the physio is going to get paid market rate, which is very stable. The thing is if someone quits because they're not paid enough, theres someone else willing to get paid that amount and get similair outputs. Meanwhile with a player can fundementally change how the whole team works together as a unit... what am I on about I don't know but I guess my point is if you don't like it, unionise or quit

Also its prob not even the CGI artists fault right, they probably just didn't have the resources. I

Though I heard all the big talents in VFX got headhunted by WETA for Avatar and actually double wages and stuff.

6 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

you must think they just click a botton for them to just wait for it to load

honestly I think that's what some people think CGI is.

I once heard incredulity that a cartoon could have a $200 million budget. 🙄

Well when you have 1,000 employees in California...

Edited by cannastop

VFX artists are some of the most under-appreciated people of the entire movie industry. They work their asses of, have extremely tight deadlines and then have to listen to shitheads on Social Media how terrible the CGI is, even if it isnt even terrible. I have nothing but respect for them.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

I like how this is what you wanted to talk about. This was more pressing to you than the abuse the VFX industry has gone into by the hands of Marvel.

Well, I don't make my posts for your approval, but I'm glad that you liked it! (plus the movie having crappy CGI doesn't exactly seem like a world-ending issue either, so I'm not sure why your post has such an obnoxiously moralizing tone)

9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I've seen Martin Scorsese trend on twitter a lot over the past few years and every time its always overly sensitive CBM fans still whining about him.   At this point I feel like the people still mad are like Kevin Smith, 40+ year olds that still dress like they're 12.

And yet, that doesn't apply to the tweet that was posted. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

the more pertinent question is if VFX workers can have better job conditions. and what to do. The tweet from the former VFX worker said that MCU's strength at the box office itself was a problem.

Though it also might be pertinent if Taika was being flippant about their craft in his own directed movie.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Martin Scorsese doesn't think Face/Off is cinema either! But do fans of that movie throw a fit?

At the Hawaii International Film Festival, where the “Face/Off and “Hard Boiled” director received the festival’s Halekulani Lifetime Achievement Award, Woo took to the stage to support Scorsese’s recent comments that MCU films and their kin are the equivalent of an amusement park attraction.

“I’m concerned about when these movies get more and more popular, I’m afraid it will make young audiences get lost when it comes to knowledge about film,” Woo said, while appreciating that comic-book tentpole movies make money and entertain audiences.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Martin Scorsese doesn't think Face/Off is cinema either! But do fans of that movie throw a fit?

He doesn't even like SW. There's plenty of accounts of him being kind of dismissive of it to his own friend back in the day. I really don't get why this became such a grudge match lol.

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I've seen Martin Scorsese trend on twitter a lot over the past few years and every time its always overly sensitive CBM fans still whining about him.   At this point I feel like the people still mad are like Kevin Smith, 40+ year olds that still dress like they're 12.

Kevin Smith wasn't even mad at Scorsese, he was just saying it wasn't a surprise that someone of Marty's caliber wouldn't be into stuff like the MCU (the "out of touch" part was unfortunate, I personally don't agree). In the same interview, Smith even commented on how the media is just asking directors about comic book movies so they can generate clickbait, and the smart thing is just to avoid answering. Didn't take his own advice, heh.

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's really not hard, focus on the positive aspects of your movie, especially when it's just opening.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Just now, Rebeccas said:

He doesn't even like SW. There's plenty of accounts of him being kind of dismissive of it to his own friend back in the day. I really don't get why this became such a grudge match lol.

It's because Marvel fans and superhero movie fans in general take things so personally. It's that simple

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

At the Hawaii International Film Festival, where the “Face/Off and “Hard Boiled” director received the festival’s Halekulani Lifetime Achievement Award, Woo took to the stage to support Scorsese’s recent comments that MCU films and their kin are the equivalent of an amusement park attraction.

“I’m concerned about when these movies get more and more popular, I’m afraid it will make young audiences get lost when it comes to knowledge about film,” Woo said, while appreciating that comic-book tentpole movies make money and entertain audiences.

whoops, just thought I saw Face/Off grouped in with some other movies that "weren't cinema". But maybe that was some other director.

Just now, cannastop said:

whoops, just thought I saw Face/Off grouped in with some other movies that "weren't cinema". But maybe that was some other director.

Maybe jane campion who said she hates all superhero movies, and also horror and anything genre-y. 

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Maybe jane campion who said she hates all superhero movies, and also horror and anything genre-y. 

Nah, could have sworn it was Robert Altman or something.

But at least we know Hayao Miyazaki says Martin Scorsese isn't cinema. 😎