filmlover

Back to Black | 5/17/24 | Focus | Marisa Abela is Amy Winehouse | Sam Taylor-Johnson directs

https://deadline.com/2022/07/amy-winehouse-back-to-black-studiocanal-sam-taylor-johnson-1235061572/

EXCLUSIVE: Following years of Hollywood working on getting a biopic of Amy Winehouse off the ground, Sources tell Deadline Studiocanal is gearing up to make Back to Black, a new film about the life of the Grammy wining singer who tragically passed in 2011 with Fifty Shades of Director Sam Taylor-Johnson directing. The script has been written by Matt Greenhalgh and the project is now moving fast following Taylor-Johnson boarding the pic. Studiocanal is producing with Alison Owen and Debra Hayward alongside Tracey Seaward.

The film is expected to take a look at the life and music of Winehouse who started off as a budding North London jazz singer to eventually becoming a Grammy-winning music superstar with hit records that included Rehab and Back To Black.  Her life would eventually be cut short in 2011 at age 27 following a long battle with alcohol and drugs

Following her death in 2011, Hollywood has since tried to tell her story with various projects going into development including one from Lotus Entertainment with Noomi Rapace attached to star but ultimately none moving forward. While a feature film has yet to make it into production, the 2015 A24 doc Amy was a huge success ultimately winning the Oscar for best documentary.

This pic is being made with full support from the Amy Winehouse estate and producers and Taylor-Johnson will begin their search for the individual who will take on the role of Winehouse in the weeks to come.

The Whitney biopic, the MJ one in development, and now this will complete Hollywood's "biopics about iconic singers who led such troubled lives that their premature deaths didn't surprise anyone" trilogy.

The casting for Amy is gonna be fascinating. Seems obvious that Aaron is gonna play Blake Fielder-Civil?

I often think about how STJ made Fifty Shades of Grey far, far better than it had any right to be, despite the book's author literally having the power to overhaul every creative decision she made, launching a billion dollar franchise in the process...and then being hung out to dry. That movie is good and I will not hear otherwise.

I hope this works out for her.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

The casting for Amy is gonna be fascinating. Seems obvious that Aaron is gonna play Blake Fielder-Civil?

OMG, of course ATJ is going to play My Blake Incarcerated (Amy referred to him like that in an acceptance speech once, that's been his name to me ever since). If this has Mitch Winehouse's backing, then Blake is bound to be the ultimate villain here, as her dad will want to redeem his image after coming off so poorly in the Amy documentary.

I wonder how much of the Frank era will be shown, I like the vibe, but it'd also show just how drastically things changed with her over time.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I'll be shocked if they cast anyone either famous or semi-famous as Winehouse tbh. All the names I've seen tossed around on Twitter have either already aged out of the part or will have by the time the cameras start rolling (keep in mind she passed at 27). The "discovery" route seems like the way to go.

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'll be shocked if they cast anyone either famous or semi-famous as Winehouse tbh. All the names I've seen tossed around on Twitter have either already aged out of the part or will have by the time the cameras start rolling (keep in mind she passed at 27). The "discovery" route seems like the way to go.

A relative unknown seems the smart way to go, but Hollywood likes a "sure thing".

If they are using Amy's recordings (with a soundalike for random moments of singing here and there), then it wouldn't matter if the actress has much of a voice in real life. Someone plucked from total obscurity would be great, but a big name means a bigger budget in showbiz.