Issac Newton

Suzume's Locking-Up | CoMix Wave Films | November 11, 2022 — directed by Makoto Shinkai

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Any word on if this gets an Oscar qualifying run in 2022? In the USA of course.

Though, Hard to say. I guess it will somehow have one but will it get nominated (I wish)

For Overseas, so far Korea is confirmed to arrive in 2023.

42 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Highly likely. Most likely getting a NY/LA release this year and then 2023 release like with most of these.

Funny enough there are six markets that qualify now.

Los Angeles County; the City of New York; the Bay Area; Chicago, Illinois; Miami, Florida; and Atlanta, Georgia, and apply to General Entry categories as well as the Documentary and Short Film categories.

https://www.oscars.org/news/awards-rules-and-campaign-regulations-approved-95th-oscarsr

Anime streaming giant Crunchyroll has acquired global distribution and marketing rights (excluding Asia) for award-winning Japanese director Makoto Shinkai’s upcoming working-titled animated feature Suzume No Tojimari.

From ScreenDaily: "The coming-of-age tale marks a sixth animated feature for Shinkai after breakout international hits Your Name (2016) and Weathering With You (2019).

The feature is produced by CoMix Wave Films, the Tokyo animation studio behind many of Shinkai’s works, and Story Inc., which took credits on Weathering with You

The deal between Crunchyroll and Japanese studio Toho, which handles worldwide rights, was brokered by French sales powerhouse Wild Bunch International (WBI).

Under its terms, Crunchyroll will team up with Sony Pictures and WBI on global distribution of the title. Crunchyroll will distribute the film in North America, while Sony Pictures and WBI will co-distribute in Europe. Crunchyroll and Sony Pictures will handle all other territories outside of Asia 

Toho will release the production in Japan on November 11, 2022, and it will then be distributed in all other major territories from early 2023 onwards."

So I was missing a big info about Overseas :)

• Like 2

Hopefully this is more in the realm of quality of Your Name and 5 Centimeters Per Second. The visuals obviously look stunning and I'm intrigued in what the symbolism of the door will be. 

However I'm getting some Studio Ghibli wannabe vibes which has me worried as Children Who Chase Lost Voices was Shinkai's weakest film in my opinion and that was very much going for that vibe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Anime streaming giant Crunchyroll has acquired global distribution and marketing rights (excluding Asia) for award-winning Japanese director Makoto Shinkai’s upcoming working-titled animated feature Suzume No Tojimari.

From ScreenDaily: "The coming-of-age tale marks a sixth animated feature for Shinkai after breakout international hits Your Name (2016) and Weathering With You (2019).

The feature is produced by CoMix Wave Films, the Tokyo animation studio behind many of Shinkai’s works, and Story Inc., which took credits on Weathering with You

The deal between Crunchyroll and Japanese studio Toho, which handles worldwide rights, was brokered by French sales powerhouse Wild Bunch International (WBI).

Under its terms, Crunchyroll will team up with Sony Pictures and WBI on global distribution of the title. Crunchyroll will distribute the film in North America, while Sony Pictures and WBI will co-distribute in Europe. Crunchyroll and Sony Pictures will handle all other territories outside of Asia 

Toho will release the production in Japan on November 11, 2022, and it will then be distributed in all other major territories from early 2023 onwards."

So I was missing a big info about Overseas :)

Really hope this doesn't screw ANZ over, Madman was always great at getting these films out in this part of the world before a lot of other English speaking territories. 

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Normally, 1st Neighbours (Korea, Hong Kong) → Oceania/Asia → North America/Europe → South America/Middle East &then remaining countries 

This is how Japanese Film release across Overseas is being planned :)

Yeah ANZ is Oceania, hopefully CR taking global rights (outside Asia) doesn't mean they hold it back to give it a global release on the same day or anything crazy like that. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1