Cap

MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS SAN DIEGO COMIC CON | THURSDAY: WWE PANEL | FRIDAY: LOTRs | SATURDAY: KEVIN | SUNDAY: BARGAINING SHOPPING | WE'RE BACK, BAY BEE.

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Yikes if true! FOX's final middle finger to X-men fans. At least it wasn't 2030 or something.

X-men for sure in Secret Wars now like Spidey in Civil War.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I wonder why they didn’t announce this at comic con. Huge get right there. Shang Chi was really well done.

My guess is this:

A: they want directors for both movies lined up before an announcement

B: they want the Phase 6 stuff to be for D23

• Like 1

Good article

”I was working seven days a week, averaging 64 hours a week on a good week. Marvel genuinely works you really hard. I’ve had co-workers sit next to me, break down, and start crying. I’ve had people having anxiety attacks on the phone.

To get work, the houses bid on a project; they are all trying to come in right under one another’s bids. With Marvel, the bids will typically come in quite a bit under, and Marvel is happy with that relationship, because it saves it money. But what ends up happening is that all Marvel projects tend to be understaffed. Where I would usually have a team of ten VFX artists on a non-Marvel movie, on one Marvel movie, I got two including myself. So every person is doing more work than they need to.

I remember going to a presentation by one of the other VFX houses about an early MCU movie, and people were talking about how they were getting “pixel-fucked.” That’s a term we use in the industry when the client will nitpick over every little pixel.

The main problem is most of Marvel’s directors aren’t familiar with working with visual effects. A lot of them have just done little indies at the Sundance Film Festival and have never worked with VFX. They don’t know how to visualize something that’s not there yet, that’s not on set with them. So Marvel often starts asking for what we call “final renders.” As we’re working through a movie, we’ll send work-in-progress images that are not pretty but show where we’re at. Marvel often asks for them to be delivered at a much higher quality very early on, and that takes a lot of time. Marvel does that because its directors don’t know how to look at the rough images early on and make judgment calls.“

https://www.vulture.com/article/a-vfx-artist-on-what-its-like-working-for-marvel.html

27 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Good article

”I was working seven days a week, averaging 64 hours a week on a good week. Marvel genuinely works you really hard. I’ve had co-workers sit next to me, break down, and start crying. I’ve had people having anxiety attacks on the phone.

To get work, the houses bid on a project; they are all trying to come in right under one another’s bids. With Marvel, the bids will typically come in quite a bit under, and Marvel is happy with that relationship, because it saves it money. But what ends up happening is that all Marvel projects tend to be understaffed. Where I would usually have a team of ten VFX artists on a non-Marvel movie, on one Marvel movie, I got two including myself. So every person is doing more work than they need to.

I remember going to a presentation by one of the other VFX houses about an early MCU movie, and people were talking about how they were getting “pixel-fucked.” That’s a term we use in the industry when the client will nitpick over every little pixel.

The main problem is most of Marvel’s directors aren’t familiar with working with visual effects. A lot of them have just done little indies at the Sundance Film Festival and have never worked with VFX. They don’t know how to visualize something that’s not there yet, that’s not on set with them. So Marvel often starts asking for what we call “final renders.” As we’re working through a movie, we’ll send work-in-progress images that are not pretty but show where we’re at. Marvel often asks for them to be delivered at a much higher quality very early on, and that takes a lot of time. Marvel does that because its directors don’t know how to look at the rough images early on and make judgment calls.“

https://www.vulture.com/article/a-vfx-artist-on-what-its-like-working-for-marvel.html

Is it fair to pin at least part of the blame for this on Bob Iger? He seemed very insistent on making sure Disney filled their yearly quota for all their major franchises. 

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I wonder why they didn’t announce this at comic con. 

Were scouring their contacts over at Lucasfilm to make sure he wasn't going to be attached to an upcoming SW project. :ph34r:

Spoiler

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, Cap said:

Re: The "Holding Things for D23" Thing -- 

That is **ALWAYS** the rumor.

I've been hearing they're going to hold "the good stuff back" for D23 since at least 2015.  That was the year they skipped altogether.  So since then every two years we go through this "will that come, won't they come" charade. While I completely understand the temptation to skip, I'm also wary of this.

From a Corporate POV I get it.  Money, Control, My Fiefdom, Etc, Etc, Etc,  They also have a full panel this year, which is new.  So that is something to factor in.  Cause it's either going to be 45minutes or 1hour of time to fill.

But

First, D23 and Comic Con are two VERY different events.

D23 is far more Disney/Classic Disney/Corporate Disney focused in both its presentation and its attendees.  There's folks who attend the Film Panels (that Star Wars and Marvel used to get rolled into) who have zero interest in Marvel, and don't want it there with their "Classic Disney Brand".  Remember how the big buzz was for The Lion King and Mary Poppins in recent years coming off D23?  It's just a different vibe. 

We'll see how this year goes because Star Wars and Marvel are getting their own panel, but in the past, eh.

The other thing is that with D23 being a semi-lotto system in the past, and now going to a full lotto, you're not going to get the same fever pitch in that room. 

Which leads back to SDCC --

Marvel Studios and SDCC have a very symbiotic relationship.  Baby Marvel showed up to SDCC with just RDJ and Stan for their first Iron Man panel, and it wasn't even the Marquee event.  Now it is.  It's almost like the size and explosion of SDCC in the 2010's ran parallel to Marvel's.

So they're going to want to continue their domination, and they're not going to want to get shown up.  I say this because when speaking with SDCC staff a couple years ago, we basically got confirmation that Marvel REFUSES to put their panel first on Saturday (despite the fact that would make everyone's life so so so so so much easy, because they always want to go LAST and steal the thunder/ride the hype wave out of the room.) 

The other thing about announcing things at Comic Con v D23 is the SDCC crowd is bonkers.  Most have been in line for at least 48 hours.  They're probably gotten into at least one fight over wristbands with the people around them.  Most are punch drunk.  There is a tangible buzz in that room, and they will scream and positive react to just about everything.

My favorite moment EVER is when Kevin in 2018 casually mentioned "Skrulls" and the roof went off the place.  

So if they're worried that there's been a lukewarm response to Phase 4, or people are getting cranky, or we're seeing the clicks in the armor, this would be the time to announce everything, have people go NUTS, and then put on the reports that everything is fine! Our fans still love this!  

Whereas with D23, they LITERALLY take your phones, so there's no bombard of fancams of people screaming cause Kevin is on stage.  

IDK.

I could be wrong.  It's a brave new world.  

And I also can't judge what people find disappointing or not disappointing.  I would not find Black Panther, She-Hulk, Holiday Special, The Marvels disappointing, with probably announcement of the F4 cast and a big screen with a bunch of titles on it.  D23 will probably gets the Loki S2 footage, more The Marvels footage, and I would announce any new Disney+ show there.

Cause remember, there's two phases to this.  There is ANNOUCEMENTS and there is FOOTAGE.  You can ANNOUNCE here, and not show footage until D23.

Yeah, I thought it was 2, cause it's normally 2 to 2.5 hours.  The hour this year is a first.

Don't forget to put on Captain America: The Winter Soldier!!!

I have a feeling the D23 is really aimed at the stockholders and/or potential investors rather then the Marvel/SW nerds.

And DC did not even try to challenge Marvel this year. Mavel domnation of SDCC seems to be a long term thng.