Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

Just now, Bruce said:

Quiet possible

If its break out in China

I'm betting on a $190m dom OW, I'm expecting a close to 30/70 split from DOM to OS-China.

so $190m / 0.3 = DOM + (OS- China) = $633m

add $17m for good luck to account for the wednesday and thrusday releases internationally.

$650m opening weekend without China is my prediction. What do we think China will do ?

The deciding thing will be the "Wow factor". If critics walk out of the premiere tomorrow and praise it for replicating the cinematic experience of the first one, we know that it will be a word of mouth monster. Then I think 700-800 million opening weekend is a lock.

Edited by YSLDC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm betting on a $190m dom OW, I'm expecting a close to 30/70 split from DOM to OS-China.

so $190m / 0.3 = DOM + (OS- China) = $633m

add $17m for good luck to account for the wednesday and thrusday releases internationally.

$650m opening weekend without China is my prediction. What do we think China will do ?

150-200m Ow

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

150-200m Ow

One Piece movie did only $11m Ow in China and it was hyped on Maoyan. How 150-200m Ow is even possible when half cinemas are closed and for remaining ones people don't rush to watch movies.

Edited by adaros

2 minutes ago, adaros said:

One Piece movie did only $11m Ow in China and it was hyped on Maoyan. How 150-200m Ow is even possible when half cinemas are closed and for remaining ones people don't rush to watch movies.

isn't that like the most an anime movie has ever made there? it's china not japan

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, adaros said:

You compare the anime movie to the James Cameron movie?

No anime movie doing good here,it’s not Japan

Edited by Bruce

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

You compare the anime movie to the James Cameron movie?

No anime movie doing good here,it’s not Japan

True, I hope Avatar will do well in China. Just after seeing what numbers movies are making there in last weeks is not very reassuring. On top of closed cinemas I think people may be afraid to go to cinema and later be forced to quarantine if any covid case is found between viewers.

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

isn't that like the most an anime movie has ever made there? it's china not japan

Last OP film opened to almost twice as much, and this one was much more hyped and broke out to way higher numbers everywhere else it opened.

People are right, just because theaters are re-opening doesn't mean China is suddenly back to normal, hopefully A2 can still have a strong run and all but please keep the expectations in check.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Last OP film opened to almost twice as much, and this one was much more hyped and broke out to way higher numbers everywhere else it opened.

People are right, just because theaters are re-opening doesn't mean China is suddenly back to normal, hopefully A2 can still have a strong run and all but please keep the expectations in check.

Also, one thing to mention is how is social distancing in these theaters

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Not gonna happen.

yeah, would have needed a perfect china, change weekend to week and then were talking

55 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

I known that the first Avatar broke a lot of records in many countries and did well in all, but my question is what countries were the worse performing for the first Avatar?

If you mean the relatively worse I wiuld say France,Japan,India,Turkey,Germany and Argentina is doing not that well,because Avatar didn’t break the all time record these place like others

But even it didn’t break record,it’s still crowded in the top 5 highest grosser of all time,we can’t say it’s doing bad in these region,but it’s doing incredible.

If you ‘worse’means is doing ‘real bad’

I would personal say Finland is the worst performance market for Avatar 1,because Avatar is not even crowded top 50 of all time in that place,compare to normal movie is still doing good (it‘s 2009 Finland yealy champion)but is not impressive,is the only market that Avatar not even in all-time top 50 in 2009,only

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce said:

If you mean the relatively worse I wiuld say France,Japan,India,Turkey,Germany and Argentina is doing not that well,because Avatar didn’t break the all time record these place like others

But even it didn’t break record,it’s still crowded in the top 5 highest grosser of all time,we can’t say it’s doing bad in these region,but it’s doing incredible.

I would personal say Finland is the worst performance market for Avatar 1,because Avatar is not even crowded top 50 of all time in that place,compare to normal movie is still doing good (it‘s 2009 Finland yealy champion)but is not impressive,is the only market that Avatar not even in all-time top 50 in 2009,only

Wow I didn't know about Finland, now I'm interested to follow how the sequel does...

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

Avatar was biggest Hollywood grosser in India, it absolutely did very well here.