Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

11 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I am not sure either. They (Russian from RBO Thread) say not legal release, because the source haven't listed the distributor name "blanked with —" But, these are tracked numbers. Actual numbers are lot higher like $32M for Avatar 2. 

Whatever, my point is that it's playing on Russia &James Cameron's Masterpiece isn't missing to playing anywhere outside North Korea.

Titanic become the social sensation in North Korea,Avatar failed.

Maybe JC’s impact only missing in the place without TV,but…Titanic also have a successful song maybe could land the poor place without TV but have Radio.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I wonder what plays in North Korea ;)

All Disney product(TLK,Mickey Mouse,Frozen,Tarzan,Beauty&Beast etc)& Tom and Jerry,Mr.Bean really popular in NK,for HLW,James Bond / M:I series ,Titanic,Home alone and Bend it like Beckham (This movie is special because it’s the gift that

congrats UK and NK established diplomatic relationship,Mr.Bean as well)  are popular in NK.

I also read the article written by the person who have business in NK said he saw many kids in NK obsessed by Spiderman and wearing Nike,but I can’t be gurantee this is true or not.(The book name is: A Capitalist in North Korea: My Seven Years in the Hermit Kingdom)

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Astonished 2

From @BoxOfficePro

On Friday, it actually fell behind Maverick through the equivalent point in release. Through Sunday, it’s now running -0.5% behind. Water had been running ahead of Maverick through their respective 13th days of release, or each film’s second Thursday.

Water is also running -6.9% behind 2009’s original Avatar through the equivalent point in release. Avatar finally overtook Water on their respective 57th days of release, or each film’s ninth Friday.

48 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I was going by Box Office Mojo where Russia isn't listed. Are we sure that's an officially sanctioned release? I thought Hollywood isn't releasing movies there...

Well, it isn't. Russia uses pirated copies, Kazakhstan's copies to be more precise. I'm sure studios are well aware of that, it's impossible not to, and I suspect they get a cut somehow, otherwise they would've punished Kazakhstan theaters for this, there would've been no reason not to.

Edited by Firepower

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Well, it isn't. Russia uses pirated copies, Kazakhstan's copies to be more precise. I'm sure studios are well aware of that, it's impossible not to, and I suspect they get a cut somehow, otherwise they would've punished Kazakhstan theaters for this, there would've been no reason not to.

I’d love to know how they got KDM’s to allow playback in Russia (or how they bypassed the need for one).

Edited by SnokesLegs

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Around 100m short i wouldn't call "significantly". If we take away Russia because A2 isn't playing there, it's only about 50m short.

Words on the street is that A2 made roughly $40M in Russia thanks to pirated copies, no marketing and no wide release.

Imagine what it could’ve done in normal conditions…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

They should’ve release it officially anyway and then give the profit to Ukraine. 🙃

for record-keeping purposes (overseas weekends)

$300.5M / weekend 1

$176.6M / weekend 2

$185.5M / weekend 3

$136.7M / weekend 4

$093.2M / weekend 5

$058.6M / weekend 6

$042.4M / weekend 7

$029.2M / weekend 8

$018.9M / weekend 9

$010.7M / weekend 10

$009.8M / weekend 11

$006.1M / weekend 12

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

It's not an official release, and it's not part of the official gross so it's irrelevant to the comp

Yeah. It's not an official release that's why Disney isn't counting it.

I wonder how they got a copy, though. But then again, the Russians are good at pirating. 😅

2 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Words on the street is that A2 made roughly $40M in Russia thanks to pirated copies, no marketing and no wide release.

Imagine what it could’ve done in normal conditions…

wow

what street are we talking bout?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wow

what street as we talking bout?

Read it online and users confirmed inhere.

For what is worth I know a bunch of people living in Moscow and they saw it like 2/3 times it was huge.

Edited by Mr Roark

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

Read it online and users confirmed inhere.

For what is worth I know a bunch of people living in Moscow and they saw it like 2/3 times it was huge.

but still nowhere near as huge as it could have been

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Yeah. It's not an official release that's why Disney isn't counting it.

I wonder how they got a copy, though. But then again, the Russians are good at pirating. 😅

Official copies thru CIS countries already dubbed in Russian especially Kazakistan.

Edited by Mr Roark

10 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Could make sense in Ukraine given the whole situation.

I mean a lot of women left Ukraine after invasion and a lot of men were mobilized, so it should even the ratio of those who live in safer regions and visit theaters, so 88% still doesn't makes sense to me, 60-65% maybe.