Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

$800m OS by Thursday? $925m OS by January 1st? $1.15b OS by January 8th? Is $1.5b OS possible?

Shame China didn't explode because of covid situation there. And I don't get it what is happening in Japan, but the rest of the markets is doing amazing job for this film. In alternative universe with no covid and no war, this would have clearly got a shot for the biggest OS gross of all time. For today, #4 best must be enough.

• Like 5

Just now, Juby said:

$800m OS by Thursday? $925m OS by January 1st? $1.15b OS by January 8th? Is $1.5b OS possible?

Shame China didn't explode because of covid situation there. And I don't get it what is happening in Japan, but the rest of the markets is doing amazing job for this film. In alternative universe with no covid and no war, this would have clearly got a shot for the biggest OS gross of all time. For today, #4 best must be enough.

We probably need a re-release for China IMAO

Just now, Juby said:

Japan is still a big question mark, very strange.

35 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Whaling perhaps?

I seriously doubt it - that's more of a government thing peddled by the ultranationalists that only survives thanks to subsidies these days, nobody really gives a shit (and certainly not enough to cause this performance).

And even if it did, it should've had a solid opening at the very least, which it did not get.

There's probably a million little reasons why - strong local competition in the form of Slam Dunk and Shinkai's (who at this point is about as theatrically as strong a pull as the miyazaki name) newest film, the general decline of Hollywood there bar some exceptions like Top Gun, 3D isnt the draw it used to be, etc. With that being said, I still wouldn't have expected it to be doing this abysmally.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LPLC said:

Here are my last updated projections :

DOM : $550M-$600M 

France : $120M-$140M

Germany : $100M-$120M 

United Kingdom : $80M-$90M  

Middle East : $60M-$70M

Spain : $45M-$50M 

Italy : $40M-$50M 

Nordic : $40M-$50M

Netherlands : $15M-$20M

Africa : $5M-$10M

Rest : $100M-$130M

Total EMEA : $605M-$730M

Mexico : $50M-$60M

Brazil : $40M-$50M 

Rest : $80M-$90M

Total Latin America : $170M-$200M

South Korea : $100M-$115M 

South East Asia : $65M-$75M

India : $50M-$60M

Australia : $45M-$55M

Japan : $25M-$35M

Taiwan : $20M-$25M

Hong Kong : $20M-$25M   

Russia/CIS : $10M

New Zealand : $10M 

Rest : $5M

Total APAC : $350M-$415M

China : $150M-$200M 

OS-China-Russia-Ukraine : $1,125B-$1,345B

OS-Russia-Ukraine : $1,275B-$1,545B

Total : $1,825B-$2,145B

Imo, at this point, JW and $1,7B are almost locked

Have to say that I completely agree with the total range.

• Like 1