Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

Just now, Bruce said:

I heard Avatar failed in Japan because most of Japan cinema doesn’t prove 48 fps movie,so Japan cinema only change 48 fps to 24 fps which make film watch weird and lead to public protest…

disappointing if true, the 95% of cinemas in the UK just play it in 24fps don't see why they couldn't have too

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

I heard Avatar failed in Japan because most of Japan cinema doesn’t prove 48 fps movie,so Japan cinema only change 48 fps to 24 fps which make film watch weird and lead to public protest…

Wait lol That's strange. I don't know what they were expecting, but only a few theaters in the world can show movies at 48fps.

We (everyone, because almost everyone have seen it at 24) only missed action sequences with HFR, the rest of the movie is 24fps with a duplicated frame. Only those sequences are at real 48.

It seems a bit exaggerated to me lol

I personally enjoyed the movie in 3D 24fps.

4 hours ago, MG10 said:

Same list without China:

1) Avatar - 1.875B 

2) Titanic - 1.39B

3) Avengers: Endgame - 1.31B

4) Spider-Man: NWH - 1.102B

5) Star Wars TFA - 1.006B

6) Avengers: IW - 1B

7) The Lion King - 993M (special mention since it was close) 

If Avatar 2 is released in Russia, I think it can add another $50-70M to the OS gross

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

That was made up story.

I really hate it how much people are just going to make stories on why Avatar is failing.

Like -

"Current Government don't like Avatar"

"Film Board gave Avatar a R-rating"

"Whaling"

"Cameron made racist remarks"

"Screen share scandals" (A2 got the widest release till date)

"Theatre Boycott" (They will remove it from screens where sales are negligible. Common practices)

The reasons are already explained multiple times whether it is JBO or OS Thread.

I don't think it's really necessary to bring up this thing again and again. It's better for everyone to accept what the film is earning. Because it is performing best in compare to their previous distribution release of Disney since Post-CoVid-19.

• Like 5

Japan is just an unpredictable market, frozen 2 dropped by 13 billion yen from the first one which was a top 3 all time grosser/ticket seller at the time, at this point a2 just needs to squeeze out as much as it can from that market and try to make a respectable gross 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Japan is just an unpredictable market, frozen 2 dropped by 13 billion yen from the first one which was a top 3 all time grosser/ticket seller at the time, at this point a2 just needs to squeeze out as much as it can from that market and try to make a respectable gross 

It should. Despite it all seems moviegoers are still coming in to see it.

What's the total in japan now?

20 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Eh Frozen 2 still had massive opening and ended up with $120m+ USD. I think when you have reached uber-blockbuster status and clearly had good reception / audience interest the first time around... barring some severe extraneous circumstance with something that demands to be seen in theaters (so screw the idea of everyone waiting for Disney+... seriously?) there should at least be a base level of interest expected. Even something like $60-70m total would be explicable given the circumstances, but not this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

The more this plays out the more the numbers in Japan annoy me tbh. The original still had a crazy multiplier there and this is not an Alice through the Looking Glass situation where it is bombing everywhere. No excuses.

Accept the reality and move on. Because discussion doesn't really can't continue forever.

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

The more this plays out the more the numbers in Japan annoy me tbh. The original still had a crazy multiplier there and this is not an Alice through the Looking Glass situation where it is bombing everywhere. No excuses.

I feel the 3D push hampered in a market where the audience is older and 3D is dead over there. I am not sure how the release is split between 2D/3D but Cameron would have strongly pushed for 3D. 

40 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Accept the reality and move on. Because discussion doesn't really can't continue forever.

This comment would make sense months from now rather than the third week of release. For now we can continue to marvel at their failure.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I feel the 3D push hampered in a market where the audience is older and 3D is dead over there. I am not sure how the release is split between 2D/3D but Cameron would have strongly pushed for 3D. 

Whereas at where I am people are rediscovering the 3D experience and 3D showtime is getting more and more popular here.