Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

5 minutes ago, Moses said:

There is no doubt that Avatar 2 is having a great run

I think the main problem is having huge huge expectations before release.

I remember after AEG success many people putting expectations over 3 billions.

Nobody expect China is bothered by covid that much

Over 3B is doable if China full potential

We have 40m people getting covid per day right now

And also we need a Russia release when Avatar 3 came out

Avatar 3 will be the peak of the series

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

One question, i'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the OS numbers this week.

The weekend is a 4-day and counts THU or MON? 

Because i was reading 180M as the usual FRI - SUN. 51M for FRI and another 129M for SAT + SUN. 

But then the total would be ~987M by SUN instead of ~955M, so i must be reading something wrong, but i don't know what lol.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

One question, i'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the OS numbers this week.

Because i was reading 180M as the usual FRI - SUN. 51M for FRI and another 129M for SAT + SUN. 

But then the total would be ~987M by SUN instead of ~955M, so i must be reading something wrong, but i don't know what lol.

I think it's Thur-Sun but @charlie Jatinder can clarify. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I believe some of that THU gross goes into the weekend gross. Some countries have a 4-day weekend, some 3-day, and a couple a 2-day weekend.

• Thanks 1

I've read somewhere that women/young girls dominate Japan's box office and it really shows:

Demon Slayer was at its core about rescuing the hero's sister/the love for your sister

Spirited Away, Mononoke, Howl, etc. featured a female protagonist/strong female characters

Frozen - enough said

Your Name was a romance with a female protagonist
Same with Titanic

etc.

The first Avatar was marketed as a sci-fi romance right from the last scene in the first teaser (Jake and Neytiri touching foreheads intimately) and had more female appeal like Titanic (and is also the follow up to Titanic)

And yeah it had that curiosity factor from the 3D hook

Avatar 2 is not a romance, the fathers and sons are taking the lead and being the focus of the story, it's more male-appealing

And the visuals are an upgrade but not a new novelty that attracts curiosity

And yeah anime is having its renaissance moment overshadowing Hollywood movies, Top Gun was an exception I guess due to nostalgia and Tom Cruise being a big star in Japan, presumably having many female fans?

11 minutes ago, Royce said:

I've read somewhere that women/young girls dominate Japan's box office and it really shows:

Demon Slayer was at its core about rescuing the hero's sister/the love for your sister

Spirited Away, Mononoke, Howl, etc. featured a female protagonist/strong female characters

Frozen - enough said

Same with Titanic

etc.

The first Avatar was marketed as a sci-fi romance right from the last scene in the first teaser (Jake and Neytiri touching foreheads intimately) and had more female appeal like Titanic (and is also the follow up to Titanic)

Avatar 2 is not a romance, the fathers and sons are taking the lead and being the focus of the story, it's more male-appealing

And yeah anime is having its renaissance moment overshadowing Hollywood movies, Top Gun was an exception I guess due to nostalgia and Tom Cruise being a big star in Japan, presumably having many female fans?

My friend…I know I might be quiet mean,but …I think you really have some stereotype for girls

Not all girls love romantic story,like “prince saving princess” drama,like pink and purple color,and don’t like fighting,don’t like battle,don’t like man and man brotherhood drama,don’t like War scene,don’t like car,don’t like dianosaur…that’s just…nonsense

I listen to these kind of word from my childhood to nowadays,and I’m enough by listening these,I’m done with that,because seriously ,I don’t think there are much difference between man and woman,we are all human being,is not ‘man and woman difference’ problem,is more like ‘human and human difference’ problem,a good movie can be liked both man and woman,boys and girls,girls also like fighting and boys can like love story,that’s the fact

There are many reason Avatar 2 failed in Japan,but not this sexual difference,how you explain the first Avatar huge succeed in Japan

I don’t want to take the conversation to the politic correct stuff,I think politic correct is stupid,but..you really need to change your stereotype

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Royce said:

Frozen - enough said

Same with Titanic

etc.

Well to be fair it's not like 90% of the box office comes from women, maybe it's 55% which is probably considered a lot only because in most cases it's the opposite...

@Royce Can't speak for everyone but can for my sisters and what I observed from movies that were extra popular with women (Titanic, Twilight). The key is male love interest. All these movies had a heroine as audience proxy that is courted by a male lead that really appeals to that audience. It's the same thing with shipping. There's a reason why some ships are popular and some are not and that boils down to a male love interest. Reylo was huge because audience that had Rey as a proxy wanted to boink Kylo. On LOTR:ROP side, official couple never took off (Don Lemon and some old lady) while Galadriel and Halbrand (ahem) are appearing on 2022 Best Romance and Best Pairings lists because ladies who loved the show want to bang him. 

First Avatar was something never seen before so maybe that drove female audience more than Sam Worthington whom I can't imagine having the effect of Leo, R-Patz, Adam Driver, Charlie Vickers.