Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

Pretty bad number for Super Pets. I'm going to get roasted for this, but this movie should have just been sent straight to HBO Max. It's clear the only reason why this is anywhere near theaters is because of The Rock's involvement. Pretty bold of him to expect families to pay for an inconsequential spin-off in this day and age. As we're seeing with the latest projections, they aren't. If around $20M is all it can do during the dog days of summer, then I can't even imagine how badly it'd be doing had it been kept in May, against Doctor Strange 2 and Top Gun 2.

You should not be doing these random spin-offs when you don't even have a proper fucking SUPERMAN in your mainline movies. Zaslav was absolutely right in pulling the plug on Wonder Twins. Scrap the current mess that is the DCEU, then get an actual shared universe together, with a real Justice League. Then, and only then, should you be even remotely thinking about obscure randos. That's what Marvel did, and both Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were rewarded for it.

Super Pets always felt like an odd duck. Warner Bros clearly tried to push the brand and starry voice cast to some extent, yet everything about it always screamed "kids film" with little room for crossover potential. With the current marketplace for animation being what it is, I'd say that an opening in the 20s is fine for a non-sequel whose brand didn't really seem to do much to move the dial with its target audience.

I'm also definitely here for the really good holds we're about to see in coming weeks with the general lack of upcoming new releases. The grosses may not be high, but I'm looking forward to seeing some crazy-good staying power for the holdovers in the marketplace.

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Pretty bad number for Super Pets. I'm going to get roasted for this, but this movie should have just been sent straight to HBO Max. It's clear the only reason why this is anywhere near theaters is because of The Rock's involvement. Pretty bold of him to expect families to pay for an inconsequential spin-off in this day and age. As we're seeing with the latest projections, they aren't. If around $20M is all it can do during the dog days of summer, then I can't even imagine how badly it'd be doing had it been kept in May, against Doctor Strange 2 and Top Gun 2.

You should not be doing these random spin-offs when you don't even have a proper fucking SUPERMAN in your mainline movies. Zaslav was absolutely right in pulling the plug on Wonder Twins. Scrap the current mess that is the DCEU, then get an actual shared universe together, with a real Justice League. Then, and only then, should you be even remotely thinking about obscure randos. That's what Marvel did, and both Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were rewarded for it.

If it makes it to 60 or 70m total, that's still 60 or 70m more than it would've made if it went straight to video. It's still tickets being sold, concessions purchased etc... And it's not like it's done poorly with critics, it's at 70% on RT.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lab276 said:

If it makes it to 60 or 70m total, that's still 60 or 70m more than it would've made if it went straight to video. It's still tickets being sold, concessions purchased etc... And it's not like it's done poorly with critics, it's at 70% on RT.

Definitely. I can’t support the ‘this should be on streaming’ stance on any movie like this. 

I’ll see the movie in the next couple of weeks I expect, but the thought of kids in the theatre enjoying it - rather than stuck in the house half watching it on their mom’s cell phone - that’s what it should be all about. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

In the words of Taylor Swift, You Need to Calm Down. 

8 hours ago, Ecks Ecks Are said:

I feel the opposite. Getting his numbers without having to deal with him is the best possible outcome. Him laughing about it on Twitter is like someone who can't get into a nightclub laughing at the people inside, while still trying to get in. Ironic.

That kind of feels right. All people wanted from him were numbers.

Those numbers are still there, he just happend to have access and delivered them.

Self Made "Popstars" came and left. 

And maybe there will be another one who doesn't do it for people to beg at him, but just because she or he thinks it's nice to inform this place.

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Super Pets always felt like an odd duck. Warner Bros clearly tried to push the brand and starry voice cast to some extent, yet everything about it always screamed "kids film" with little room for crossover potential. With the current marketplace for animation being what it is, I'd say that an opening in the 20s is fine for a non-sequel whose brand didn't really seem to do much to move the dial with its target audience.

I'm also definitely here for the really good holds we're about to see in coming weeks with the general lack of upcoming new releases. The grosses may not be high, but I'm looking forward to seeing some crazy-good staying power for the holdovers in the marketplace.

It needed to crossover in the 13-25s like Minions for huge numbers - it didn't.

It needed to appeal to all the movie subscribers for semi-huge numbers  - it didn't.

It needed to appeal to hardcore DC fans for good numbers - it did, a little.

And it needed to appeal to families for Bad Guys numbers - it did, a lot.  And thus, this is all the family strength there is right now, and it's capturing it.  And it will open fine, but not 2019 fine.

Families are not back at 2019 numbers at 2022 movie ticket prices - we have to admit it's no longer Covid.  It's price and behavior change.  4-6 ticket purchases for one movie are a way different buy than 1 discounted subscriber ticket.  And thus, here we are.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It needed to crossover in the 13-25s like Minions for huge numbers - it didn't.

It needed to appeal to all the movie subscribers for semi-huge numbers  - it didn't.

It needed to appeal to hardcore DC fans for good numbers - it did, a little.

And it needed to appeal to families for Bad Guys numbers - it did, a lot.  And thus, this is all the family strength there is right now, and it's capturing it.  And it will open fine, but not 2019 fine.

Families are not back at 2019 numbers at these prices - we have to admit it's no longer Covid.  It's price and behavior change.  4-6 ticket purchases for one movie are a way different buy than 1 discounted subscriber ticket.  And thus, here we are.

I didn’t realise the US have ticket subscribers? Are they big in number? 

3 hours ago, lab276 said:

With the clear sailing path (no competition) through September and good reviews/WOM, SP is going to make at least $110M, maybe even $120-$130M

There just doesn’t appear to have been a whole lot of anticipation here, which both limits the OW, but also means there won’t be huge drops in ensuing weeks … which is something people also complain about!
Pick your poison - the “good outcome” is usually one or the other (or in the case of a bad movie, neither), and only rarely do we see a film both beat OW expectations by a fair amount and then hold really well in ensuing weeks (see TGM). But that can’t be the standard, the expectation, for every release. Total demand isn’t fixed, but it takes something special to grow it significantly. Would a grossing path more similar to Lightyear have been “better” for SP … to end up at the same place? People need to calm down 

22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Families are not back at 2019 numbers at these prices - we have to admit it's no longer Covid.  It's price and behavior change.  4-6 ticket purchases for one movie are a way different buy than 1 discounted subscriber ticket.  And thus, here we are.

I agree with you on this diagnosis, but not to the degree, particularly because I think the teen impact on Minions is overstated. It’s going to gross close to $200M after the first week, and that’s not age 13-25 driven, it’s families 

Somewhere between Minions ~$350M and the ~$110-$120M for Pets/LY is the true family audience potential, and it also heavily depends on the demographic draw. The effect of streaming and ticket prices is not uniform

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t realise the US have ticket subscribers? Are they big in number? 

We don't know the exact numbers for 2 of the big 3, Regal/AMC, which are the unlimited subscribers, but they probably account for at least the Cinemark amount each, since in 2019, AMC revealed they were over 900K and Cinemark was at 800K then.

For an exact number, Cinemark revealed that their 1-movie-a-month subscriber base topped 1M in June 2022, the highest it ever was, even pre-Covid...

So, probably at a minimum, the big 3 have between 2.5M-3M subscribers.

None of the big 3 allow children to be subscribers, so the subscribers will skew to non-kid movie interests...

As one example of subscriber effect, late legs for adult-skewing movies in slow periods are probably definitely helped by the AMC/Regal unlimited bases looking to get their "money's worth"...

Edited by TwoMisfits

we’ve discussed this before @TwoMisfits, but wouldn’t you class the likes of MoM and L&T as family movies that have been huge hits? In fact, that demo is probably their biggest in terms of box office. 

I simply think Superpets didn’t appeal to as big an audience as other animated movies have. Nothing to do with habits changing.

As you know, I place the underperformance of Lightyear firmly on Disney’s Disney+ debacle they need to resolve asap. 

When all is said and done, most of this year’s biggest hits would have had massive family audiences attendance. This audience isn’t just exclusive to animated movies.  This demo is still spending plenty of $$ on going to the movies. As long as the movie appeals and the studios aren’t giving them away within weeks, we’re all good.