Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

Bullet Train was alright. Its biggest flaw really is that 2-hour runtime. There are still many other problems that would hold it back from greatness, but a 90-minute runtime would have made the film way easier to follow, and way less overbearing. It was right there to make it an easier crowdpleaser but Leitch just didn't do it. It's weird.

• Like 1

According to Deadline, Bodies Bodies Bodies is in 6 theaters this weekend and expanding to 1,000 next Friday. Also looks like it's having Early Access showings on Wednesday at a number of theaters. Seems like A24 decided to go the "building WOM" route instead, which might be a smart choice given that the release schedule is gonna be a desert until at least middle of September.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

According to Deadline, Bodies Bodies Bodies is in 6 theaters this weekend and expanding to 1,000 next Friday. Also looks like it's having Early Access showings on Wednesday at a number of theaters. Seems like A24 decided to go the "building WOM" route instead, which might be a smart choice given that the release schedule is gonna be a desert until at least middle of September.

Praying the film gets a good PTA this weekend and buzz to follow. I really wanted Marcel the Shell to be another breakout for A24, but that sadly didn't happen. Plus Amandla Stenberg deserves a win after all the flop projects she was given.

7 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

Praying the film gets a good PTA this weekend and buzz to follow. I really wanted Marcel the Shell to be another breakout for A24, but that sadly didn't happen. Plus Amandla Stenberg deserves a win after all the flop projects she was given.

A24's other horror movies this year (X and Men) made $11M and $7M and this seems to have much broader appeal than either of those ever did even on paper. We'll see what the limited numbers look like but a total in the Midsommar range shouldn't be difficult, especially when the dead schedule for the next month means theaters won't be in a hurry to ditch it (or anything doing not completely awful, really).

2 hours ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

i doubt it does well, my showing was 1/3rd full on Thursday preview night , not impressive for amount of theaters

Got the Bodies Bodies Bodies trailer before Bullet Train last night, first time I’ve seen it in the cinema. Doesn’t come out til early September here. 

I did see on Twitter that it is not a slasher film, it’s a whodunnit. Glad I know that before going in, because I assumed it was a slasher. Looks great though. 

Looking back at least year, the transition from summer business patterns to fall really does kick off the first week of August

Here were the Fri/Sat increases for BW, Old, and JC respectively (excluding OWs) by weekend 

7/24 = +36% / - - - / - - -

7/31 = +31% / 26% / - - -

8/07 = +42% / 40% / 47%
8/14 = +47% / 42% / 53%
8/21 = +56% / 49% / 58%

8/28 = +68% / 58% / 74%

All of this is to say: wherever the Friday estimates land, expect a stronger Saturday than we’ve been accustomed to in July, and especially vs the softer numbers from last Sat

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

According to a source,

~$13.5M FRI - Bullet Train 

...this is from EmpireCity isn't it? PM me where to get the new juicy updates.

Edited by CJohn