Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

12.5 BT

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Official (not sure if posted yet):

Nope 2.52

Thor 2.2

Minions 2.09

Easter 2.03

Hmm, so the weekend may be....

BT - 28
Nope - 8.2

Thor - 7.7

Minion - 7.3

Easter - 4.8

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Summer's officially done. Pack it up till the Avatar rerelease. 

Beast is getting a pretty big marketing push and could easily pull a high-teens opening, especially if it gets good reviews (possible since Baltasar Kormakur of Everest and Adrift is the director). But otherwise, a definite dry spell coming up that's nothing but good news for the holdovers.

I don't think the Avatar re-release will be big. In fact, I think it's going to be generally ignored. But I do think Avatar 2 will be huge. 

As someone who is extremely hyped for Avatar 2, I just don't care to watch the 1st again. In theaters. But that's just me. And I can already see doom posting if the re-release is considered a failure. 

• Like 1

Wooooof for Bullet Train given the sheer amount of marketing and the star power. No way this should have opened under Elvis

Preview IMs have become such a joke it has made it legitimately slightly less fun to follow box office, all the other factors aside. It's just a full day now. If the Thursday money Revenge of the Sith made didn't get rolled into its weekend back in 2005 this shouldn't either. It's a joke, people!

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Confirmed official (not sure if posted yet):

Nope 2.52

Thor 2.2

Minions 2.09

Easter 2.03

TGM 1.9

TBP 440K

JWD 310k

Nope doing almost a million lower than OUATIH and has fallen behind it in running total as well. Looks like a 120-130M range wrap. Can go lower depending on weekdays being not as strong as well.

I don't think it is affecting box office among regular moviegoers but I can tell you personally the fact that Bullet Train is two hours instead of 90 minutes is the reason I will be skipping it in theaters. Just seems too mindnumbing to sit in a cold theater watching that particular style of movie for that long.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Summer's officially done. Pack it up till the Avatar rerelease. 

That's gonna open to like 15M bro. Beast will open higher than that.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't think it is affecting box office among regular moviegoers but I can tell you personally the fact that Bullet Train is two hours instead of 90 minutes is the reason I will be skipping it in theaters. Just seems too mindnumbing to sit in a cold theater watching that particular style of movie for that long.

Yeah you made the right call. It felt like the movie went on for an eternity with random characters and subplots popping up every other second. Doesn't help that Brad Pitt is basically trying to do Ryan Reynolds schtick and he's really bad at doing Ryan Reynolds schtick. At 90 minutes, it still wouldn't have been great, but it would have been way better as a brainless action movie.

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wooooof for Bullet Train given the sheer amount of marketing and the star power. No way this should have opened under Elvis

Preview IMs have become such a joke it has made it legitimately slightly less fun to follow box office, all the other factors aside. It's just a full day now. If the Thursday money Revenge of the Sith made didn't get rolled into its weekend back in 2005 this shouldn't either. It's a joke, people!

Feels like it wasn't fun enough. Great concept but genuinely the first sign of an issue for me was when it was said to be 2 hours 10 minutes. I know judging a movie by running time isn't good but the concept never felt like it should go longer than about 100 minutes like a Smokin Aces or a Lucky Number Slevin.

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I stand by Episode 3's $50M on a Thursday in 2005 still being one of the most impressive box office days there is

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

That's gonna open to like 15M bro. Beast will open higher than that.

Yeah you made the right call. It felt like the movie went on for an eternity with random characters and subplots popping up every other second. Doesn't help that Brad Pitt is basically trying to do Ryan Reynolds schtick and he's really bad at doing Ryan Reynolds schtick. At 90 minutes, it still wouldn't have been great, but it would have been way better as a brainless action movie.

Speaking of which when it ended I wondered how the movie would have been with Reynolds in the lead instead