The Wild Eric

The Fall Guy | May 3, 2024 | Universal | Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt | Based off the 80s TV show

I got the newest trailer for this before Civil War/Dune 2 rewatch and both times the audience were like "ehh". I guess Bullet Train just appealed to a different action film demo while this is trying for couples and Ryan Gosling is literally me guys lol.

22 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

I got the newest trailer for this before Civil War/Dune 2 rewatch and both times the audience were like "ehh". I guess Bullet Train just appealed to a different action film demo while this is trying for couples and Ryan Gosling is literally me guys lol.

Idk, women clearly love Gosling.

• Like 1

It looks like this  just had it's press screening for the regular critics that did not see it at SWSW or CinemaCon. The reactions are Good to great. Maybe this will finally goose the sales or maybe it's just too late and people just don't care. Hope for the former fear the latter. 

Edited by emoviefan

Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it much to my surprise given my history with Leitch's work (Deadpool 2, Hobbs & Shaw and Bullet Train were among my least liked of their respective years) but I think this is probably his best work! Some of the humour is still bit cringe in the Bullet Train way but waaaaay more if it hits than doesn't. What also really helps is the romance at its core and genuine love for the stunt profession that this film is dedicated to, Leitch's passion comes through and that earnestness goes a long way. Only major negatives I'd say is it takes a little bit to get the ball rolling and it does have the same issue as other recent films (Fast & Furious, Mission Impossible) where actual practical stunts look CGI because of what they've done in post. 

A definite crowd pleasure though, should have strong WOM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

It does have the same issue as other recent films (Fast & Furious, Mission Impossible) where actual practical stunts look CGI because of what they've done in post.

I hate this. I remember being stunned to learn that the scene in the opening of spectre where bond walks along a high wall in Mexico City was done for real, because in the finished product they used such a garish colour filter everything looked fake. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I hate this. I remember being stunned to learn that the scene in the opening of spectre where bond walks along a high wall in Mexico City was done for real, because in the finished product they used such a garish colour filter everything looked fake. 

My biggest reason for wanting van Hoytema to shoot another Bond film is because of how dirty they did his work on Spectre by doing this.

The film looks like fun, but  enough fun to justify the cost of a ticket?

People here are mostly single and have more disposal incomes them people who are married, and/or have kids.

That really cuts bigtime into your entertianment budget. And over the last couple of years inflation has also cut in. A film might need more then just fun to make a big  hit nowdays.

It is interesting that Variety is going with 30 million and Rival studios are saying 35-40 potential. Maybe they are seeing something more positive than what is being seen here by the trackers. Would be nice. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Oh, wow. The marketing team for The Fall Guy is desperate. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6aKE6ItV6O/?igsh=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

That SNL skit has zero connection to the film. I feel like that has been an issue with the promo/marketing from the start. They seem confused about how to sell it.   

Edited by babz06

28 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It has SNL skit has zero connection to the film. I feel like that has been an issue with the promo/marketing from the start. They seem confused about how to sell it.   

I guess maybe they're hoping a Red Carpet interview segment will go viral because Ryan's dressed like Bevis? But a viral clip from The Fall Guy's Red Carpet doesn't mean the film is now an event.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dudalb said:

The film looks like fun, but  enough fun to justify the cost of a ticket?

People here are mostly single and have more disposal incomes them people who are married, and/or have kids.

That really cuts bigtime into your entertianment budget. And over the last couple of years inflation has also cut in. A film might need more then just fun to make a big  hit nowdays.

People complain they don't have money to see a good movie, but when Venom: The Last Shit or The Lion Cashgrab 2 comes out, money is suddenly not an issue at all.

Edited by TomThomas

35 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

People complain they don't have money to see a good movie, but when Venom: The Last Shit or The Lion Cashgrab 2 comes out, money is suddenly not an issue at all.

We'll see. I think Venom is mainly this TikTok audience and The Lion King is kids / family. However, I'd expect V3 to lose 20-30% from the previous one and Mufasa finish 900-1050M WW.