Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (8/12-14) | Estimates: Train 13.4, Pets 7.17, TGM 7.15, Thor 5.31, Nope 5.3 | Bodies 3.25, Fall 2.5, Laal Singh 1.8, Mack 1.09, E.T. 1.07

https://deadline.com/2022/08/box-office-bullet-train-bodies-bodies-bodies-pete-davidson-1235091498/

Those cricket noises you’re hearing are the sounds of the summer box office slowing down.

Sony’s No. 1 movie from a week ago, David Leitch’s Bullet Trainwill hold the top spot again this weekend in a session that technically doesn’t have any uber-wide releases backed by a multimillion-dollar major studio campaign spend. The Brad Pitt action title is looking at $12.6 million for the frame, off 58% week over week, after a $3.75M Friday at 4,357 theaters.

The pic by the end of the weekend is eyeing $53.6M through 10 days, with some rival distributors believing it has a shot at $100M by the end of its run, and that it might even hold better than what we’re seeing here this weekend.

A24 is going wide with their Pete Davidson horror comedy Bodies Bodies Bodiesbut not super wide as it stokes word of mouth; it stands at 85% on Rotten Tomatoes’ audience score with a 90% certified fresh rating. The millennial meltdown movie is eyeing $1.3M today at 1,275 venues for a second weekend of $3M in what looks like a sixth-place rank, +1,224% from last weekend and good for a 10-day total of $3.3M. (A24’s Everything Everywhere All at Once in the spring expanded to around 1,200 runs in its third weekend, grossing $6M after a first weekend in 10 theaters and a second in 38 locations.)

Lionsgate has the Scott Mann-directed YA movie Fall on 1,548 theaters. It’s an experimental release for the studio: a pic not exactly prime for streaming but that tested well with audiences and intended for a big-screen release.

No m.g. on the movie from the producers of 47 Meters Down franchise (Jamie Harris and Mark Lane) and a low $4M P&A spend on a 46-day window; a title for exhibition in what is the start of a 2 1/2-month desert on the marquee. Fall is looking like $800,000 today and anywhere between $1.75M-$2M on the lower end of the top 10 chart.

Universal has the exclusive Imax 40th anniversary re-issue of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial which is seeing $430,000 today at 389 auditoriums for a $1M three-day and $438.2M running total. The pic’s 20th anniversary release in 2002 racked up $35.3M domestic, $69M worldwide. It’s the first time the Steven Spielberg-directed movie is being presented in Imax. Jaws is also hitting Imax and RealD on September 2.

All the way down the chart is Gravitas Ventures’ femme comedy Mack & Rita starring Taylour Paige, Diane Keaton and Elizabeth Lail with an estimated $300K today, and three-day of $865K. Thirty-nine critics on Rotten Tomatoes are at 26% Rotten, with audiences not wowed at 46%.

This Deadline article has been up for three hours, and nobody made a thread. That's...pretty embarrassing ngl :lol:

• Like 3

Pretty lame for Bullet Train but that percentage drop is more or less expected?

3m is solid for Bodies. Men opened to 3.2m in like 1000 more theaters. X opened to 4.2m in 2800 theaters.

Still no idea why Fall didn't go wider. Felt like ideal brainless summer action that Beast will take advantage of next year

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Still no idea why Fall didn't go wider. Felt like ideal brainless summer action that Beast will take advantage of next year

deadline article says they only spent 4m on p&a, so they probably didn’t feel it had enough visibility for a big wide release…

Acceptable for Bodies Bodies Bodies but unsurprisingly dismal for both Fall and Mack & Rita. Lionsgate is clearly having trouble these days (Fall is their first release in nearly four months and have only two movies set for the rest of the year) because the reviews are fine for the type of movie it is, feels like something one of the majors (whether Universal or Paramount or Sony) would've pushed much more and been able to make an easy profit off of with how small the budget is.

Edited by filmlover

3M is bad for Bodies. These A24 movies make 90% of their money on 900 screens anyway so it doenst matter that it was on 1200 screens and not 3000. This also had hype from Pete whatever conveniently breaking up with what's her name literally the weekend the movie come out. The PR stunts didn't help. 

58 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

So what did Mack & Rita do to deserve a D+ cinema score anyway?

I've seen the movie, and it's not good at all, but D+ surprises even me. Outside of it being rather unfunny and humiliating for Keaton, I don't think there's much audience-unfriendly stuff in it like Empty Man, It Comes at Night, etc. did, which also got the same score. To be honest, if the people who showed up liked the trailer (which was pretty indicative of its low quality), I'm surprised they disliked the whole movie that much.

Edited by datpepper

Slow weekend all around. I was hoping Bullet Train would hold a bit better. 

I also just saw Prey and it was awesome and immediately wished I had seen it at a cinema. If it has opened last week in theaters, I think strong word of mouth would have propelled it to the number 1 spot this weekend. 

What are some films you saw at home that you wished you had seen at cinemas. Two others for me are 

Dune (cinemas were still closed in my country, what could I do.)

Tenet 

Brad Pitt has always somewhat struggled as a box office draw. He's never been that bona fide butts in seats Tom Hanks/Tom Cruise/Will Smith draw. He gets a Se7en and then soon after Meet Joe Black, Devil's Own and Seven Years in Tibet, Fight Club. Back to back to back flops. He doesn't deliver strings of smashes like the others. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Brad Pitt has always somewhat struggled as a box office draw. He's never been that bona fide butts in seats Tom Hanks/Tom Cruise/Will Smith draw. He gets a Se7en and then soon after Meet Joe Black, Devil's Own and Seven Years in Tibet, Fight Club. Back to back to back flops. He doesn't deliver strings of smashes like the others. 

When you get back to back to back flops

660c9af6232cdd8a76cfd0988a9bbd04be-17-me

28 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Agree he is inconsistent but he also has his fair share of hits and he also likes to experiment with more arty fare rather than sticking to blockbusters so I respect him for that

• Like 3

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Acceptable for Bodies Bodies Bodies but unsurprisingly dismal for both Fall and Mack & Rita. Lionsgate is clearly having trouble these days (Fall is their first release in nearly four months and have only two movies set for the rest of the year) because the reviews are fine for the type of movie it is, feels like something one of the majors (whether Universal or Paramount or Sony) would've pushed much more and been able to make an easy profit off of with how small the budget is.

Still,. "Fall" will definitely be profitable for Lionsgate.