Blankments

The SUPER BOFFIES! Celebrating A Decade of Awards | The Ceremony is Complete, Come See Who Won!!

my apologies, I forgot to do this earlier! Tonight is the last night to get your ballots in!!

@cannastop @Jayhawk the Hutt @Kvikk Lunsj @Plain Old Tele @DAR @YourMother @TOG  @4815162342 @Ethan Hunt @Rorschach @Cap @The Panda @chasmmi  @Eric @SchumacherFTW @Ezen Baklattan @NamakFiskKa @tribefan69501 @Menor Reborn @chasmmi @Water Bottle @water @vc2002 @Wrath @WrathOfHan @Jason @MrPink @charlie Jatinder @DAJK @Jay Beezy @AndyLL @raulbalarezo @aabattery @ZeeSoh @Sal @Empire @Cmasterclay @MrGamer @TMP @Webslinger @meridian  @Brainbug @Gopher @Essem @Sir Tiki @BoxOfficeFangrl @B J @SnokesLegs @Neo @filmlover @IronJimbo @Ryan Reynolds @grim22 @kayumanggi @Impact @CJohn @CoolioD1 @TwoMisfits @John Rambo @Valonqar @Totem @Shawn @BruiseCruise @vale9001 @Alpha @MrFanaticGuy34 @titanic2187 @wildphantom @Ledmonkey96 @scoobysaurus @BestPicturePlutoNash @Mango @DC Rich @ringedmortality @Doffy @PenguinHyphy @cruelintentionsisgoated @Box Office Hit @Jonwo @Issac Newton @lilmac @Fancyarcher @#ED @Porthos @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @ACSlater @acab @AJG @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeZ @ChD @Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Chewy @Claire of Themyscira @Dark 33Legend of the Sith @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @FantasticBeasts @Tower @Jack Nevada @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @Ithil @James @Jandrew @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @Lion Roar @LonePirate @m3racer123 @M37 @Mattrek @Mekanos @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @peludo @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @TLK @trifle @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VENOM @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Webslinger @Xillix @The Stingray @grey ghost @RySenkari @BourneFan #1 @John C-Nah @JohnnY @langer @incognitoo @boomboom234 @SchumacherFTW @MCKillswitch123 @Ozymandias @MovieMan89 @RobinHood26 @John Marston @Avatree @GraceRandolph @Reddroast @Premium George @Jamiem @carolwoodpr @ThomasNicole @Joel M @Fullbuster @dxmatrixdt @cmbbox2390 @dudalb @AJG @keysersoze @Tinalera @el sid @Immortal @pepsa @StarLord @The Panda @Mr Terrific @Durden @LegendaryBen @Immortal @ZackM @katnisscinnaplex @Legion and Thunder @ThomasNicole @Rebeccas @StormbreakerXXR @Kalel009Shel @Macleod @Nikostar @Hatebox @jedijake @Factcheck @WittyUsername @Last Man Standing @excel1 @TomCruiseTop @JamesCameronHimself @Alli @Maggie @HesAPooka @Borobudur @Juan Caballo @Grebacio @Custom Boxes @jimisawesome @Bruce @interiorgatordecorator @Lucas @SpiderByte @efialtes76 @Seto Kaiba @motionpic05 @Totem @Joel M @Poseidon @BadOlCatSylvester @exomassey @RthMav @Cheddar Please @Brandon Gray @ZackM @cax16 @Lancelot Gold @xanamanax @Sam @Olive @THUNDER BIRD @picores @moviegeek @MOVIEGUY @NCsoft @Krissykins @JohnnyGossamer @Mike Hunt @Gavin Feng @Gabbage Bash Kid @El Gato @Xavier @harrisonisdead @Skim Beeble @abra @AnDr3s @Flamengo81 @Hilpkioy @MikeQ @Godzilla @mmacader @Pinacolada @jma22 @Alpha @Deep Wang @Doffy @Sandro Mazzola @Chaz @efialtes76 @Mr Terrific @Viper @PenguinHyphy @datpepper @Sir Tiki @AniNate @poweranimals @snarkmachine @ban1o @John2015 @El Squibbonator @Sophie @Wormow @reddevil18 @Nero @Dominic Draper @ThePrinceIsOnFire @Rebeccas @sharadsuman @filmnerdjamie @Nikostar @p a p i @Juby @stripe @Doffy @Mojoguy @parkerthegreat @ringedmortality @efialtes76 @LonePirate @krla @Jiffy @Cappoedameron @JustLurking @Hades @Lestranger @Liiviig 1998 @longleo90 @ThomasNicole @Pinacolada @Firepower @Factcheck @Mulder @Grebacio @Dragoncaine @Taruseth @Tokugennumataka  @YM! @mikeymichael @Coldbird @Reddroast @Freakymagic @WorkingonaName @AJG @jedijake @HouseOfTheSun @eddyxx @cax16 @SpiderByte @KJsooner @WittyUsername @Porthos @Ecks Ecks Are @MOVIEGUY @Seth Irskens @AnDr3s @Avatree @Krissykins @Goldenhour36 @PlatnumRoyce @Mojoguy @motionpic05 @Xavier @setna @MrFanaticGuy34 @Torontofan @BruiseCruise @A District 3 Engineer @Mandatory @Lighthouse @The Panda

@Daxtreme

@Jake Gittes

@SLAM!

I’m uncertain on getting the ballot in today. I’m currently at home with my family instead of school due to a death of a family member. If I get this homework done, I’ll try to get it in but no promises.

• Sad 4

There were some films that were nominated that I hadn't even heard of that I gave a try, and most of them were great, particularly Phoenix, Locke and Two Days One Night. So good job forum, even makes me forgive you for voting for all those Star Wars sequels (Two Kylo an one Rey...).

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, raegr said:

Damn I was too late. Can I still vote or nah?

Sadly, no, I'm already in the midst of tallying pretty heavily 😕

That said, I'm ready to announce that the ceremony will actually be held this Monday, November 21 at 7:30pm CT. Hope to see most of you there!!!

• Like 2

The awards begins in five minutes.  Before we get into it, I'd like to thank @Ezen Baklattan for the graphics I'll be using for the presentations, and the voters for a great turnout! Get ready for a great time of revisiting the past ten years of BOT and the movies that we loved over that decade...

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Our first award of the evening is...

BEST FORUM MOMENT/THREAD

The nominees are...

Avengers Opening Weekend (2012)

The Ballad of John C-Nah (2019)

Catching Fire Weekend Thread (2013)

The Classic Conversation Thread: The Sequel (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy Weekend Thread (2014)

Reactions to the HBO Max Incident (2020)

WrathOfHan Gets a Job (2021)

And the winner is...

59c72e9cdcef1604c72d350f071ef8f9--the-ed

Long time member of the Box Office Forums, @WrathOfHan graduated from college in May of 2021. He had grown up around these parts, joining the forum six years prior. Over the years, he'd provided us with many laughs, bad predictions and memorable threads. However, when one graduates from college, it's easy to fall into malaise and despair in the current job market. Everyone was rooting for Han to find a job, even as prospect after prospect seemed to fall apart.

Then on November 8, 2021, our boy, the kid we'd been making fun of and rooting for the last half-decade shared the news we had all been hoping for. He'd been hired on at a firm in New York City, allowing him to escape the possibly damned fate of becoming a Florida Man. Han now resides in the Big Apple, still working steadily at this job and occasionally feeding us breadcrumbs of insider info from it. Really though? We're all just happy for him. His success at finding a job wins the Super Boffy for Best Forum Moment/Thread.

Runner-Up: The Ballad of John C-Nah (2019)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 10
  • Astonished 1

Next up is...

MOST SOUL-CRUSHING BOX OFFICE RUN

The nominees are...

BDSbI4b.png

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

The BFG (2016)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Cloud Atlas (2012)

The Good Dinosaur (2015)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Luca (2021)

Pacific Rim (2013)

Paddington 2 (2018)

And the winner is...

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

bladerunner-2-trailer-watch-8bd914b0-744

One of the most anticipated movies of 2017 had to be the long-awaited sequel to Blade Runner. With Ridley Scott producing and rising talent Denis Villeneuve behind the camera, expectations were high, and rose even higher after the trailers dropped, revealing some of the most exquisite imagery Roger Deakins had shot yet. Going into opening weekend, the conservative projections from Variety claimed the movie would open between $45M and $50M, with obvious potential to overperform, as legacy sequels frequently do.

It was not to be. Instead, Blade Runner 2049 opened to 32.7M at the domestic box office. It turned out Blade Runner was still a cult classic and this three-hour-long depressing cyberpunk noir had a hard time really capturing casual audiences. A mere 2.875x multiplier meant it ended up below 100M in the US, and ultimately, it finished around 260M worldwide. A decent total maybe, had the film not cost over 150M to make. Although Villeneuve went on to make a sci-fi film that felt like an impossible hit admidst a pandemic, Blade Runner 2049 is a bonafide box office bomb, earning it the Super Boffy for Most Soul-Crushing Box Office Run.

Runner-Up: Luca (2021)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 10

Next up is...

MOST EPIC BOX OFFICE RUN

The nominees are...

2MsvzQs.png

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Black Panther (2018)

Deadpool (2016)

Frozen (2013)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

The Greatest Showman (2017)

The Hunger Games (2012)

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

And the winner is...

Black Panther (2018)

Black-Panther-Come-At-Me.jpg

2018 was meant to be the MCU's finest moment. It all led to Infinity War. However, before Infinity War, they did have a few more characters they needed to set up in Phase 3, in order to make their megacrossover work. Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, and a character that would soon be known better than almost every other Avenger, the Black Panther. Black Panther was scheduled as the last film before the end of the first decade of the MCU, a film that most people expected when it first was announced to do about what the standard MCU solo film would do. Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa had debuted in Civil War, and although he stood out from that movie, no one thought his own movie would do better than the webslinger's who had also debuted in that.

Brilliant marketing and an underserved market led to Black Panther's tremendous success. More than any other MCU film, it was a cultural phenomenon in the US, ending up making over 1.3B at the box office, including 700M at the domestic box office, making it the number one film of 2018 in America. Yes, even beating Avengers: Infinity War. 2018 was meant to be the MCU's finest moment, and it was, but not because of Thanos finally fighting the Avengers. Ryan Coogler's pop sensation worked because you could see it without knowing the MCU, revealing Wakanda to both their world and ours in a glorious fashion. The sequel might be playing now, but nothing will top the shock and awe and joy of the original Black Panther film, earning it a Super Boffy for the Most Epic Box Office Run of the decade.

Runner-Up: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 9

Next up is...

WORST PICTURE

The nominees are...

pk7OVOK.png

Artemis Fowl (2020)

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)

The Emoji Movie (2017)

Fantastic Four (2015)

I, Frankenstein (2014)

Movie 43 (2013)

Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021)

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Suicide Squad (2016)

That’s My Boy (2012)

And the winner is...

Suicide Squad (2016)

Suicide-Squad-Extended-Cut-Boomerang-Jok

If 2018 was meant to be the MCU's finest hour, 2016 was designed to be DC's big arrival. Not only did they have the first ever Batman vs. Superman movie ever on their line-up, they also had an "original" comic book property to adapt. Suicide Squad's trailers were extremely well-received, and the film was anticipated not only as Will Smith's grand return to blockbusters, but as the long-awaited live-action debut of Harley Quinn, and with her a new Joker played by Academy Award winner Jared Leto. Batman v Superman came out first, and proved divisive, but not without its champions. It felt like everything was riding on Suicide Squad...

And unfortunately, Suicide Squad was absolutely rancid. Terribly edited and frankly quite boring, it's a film that's a chore to watch and ended up being one of the most hated films of the year. No one blamed Will or Margot, but as for Jared, his Joker is now often considered the worst interpretation of the character, and as for the other characters in the movie... well, I'll tell you, I rewatched this two weeks ago and I don't remember any of them. DC eventually recovered afterwards, but Suicide Squad at the time felt like the nail in the coffin for their cinematic endeavors, and even today, it's one of the worst blockbusters in recent memory, earning it the Super Boffy for Worst Picture.

Runner-Up: Movie 43 (2013)

• Like 12

Next up is...

BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP DESIGN

The nominees are...

NdGVcWB.png

12 Years a Slave (2013)

Black Panther (2018)

Dolemite Is My Name (2019)

The Green Knight (2021)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Holy Motors (2012)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (2020)

The Shape of Water (2017)

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

And the winner is...

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

2905.jpg?width=1200&quality=85&auto=form

In order to populate the wasteland, the people of it must appear appropriately wasted. From the Warboys and their emaciated pale faces to the Brides and their somehow luminous glow in the desert, the makeup and hairstyling done in Mad Max: Fury Road is an important aspect of the aesthetic of it. Immortan Joe and Imperator Furiosa are two of the most iconic looking characters in the past decade, but who can imagine the former without his hair or the latter with hers? The team led by Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin gave the people of the Wasteland their distinct look, which earned them a Super Boffy for Best Hair and Makeup Design.

Runner-Up: Holy Motors (2012)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 9

Next up is...

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

The nominees are...

p6hOqrQ.png

Black Panther (2018)

Cinderella (2015)

Dolemite Is My Name (2019)

Emma. (2020)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

The Great Gatsby (2013)

The Green Knight (2021)

La La Land (2016)

Les Miserables (2012)

Phantom Thread (2017)

And the winner is...

Black Panther (2018)

EYHqLT8.jpg

Black Panther is our first film to win multiple awards, and this is just as well-deserved as the last. More so than any other technical aspect of it, the costumes are what push Black Panther beyond just being another superhero movie. Steeped in multiple unique African cultures, it creates a totally new aesthetic for the world of Wakanda, while also creating a truly iconic fit for the film's antagonist, Erik Kilmonger. Ruth E. Carter won an a long overdue Oscar for this, and honestly, whenever one revisits the film, it's always a pleasant surprise at just how many uniquely memorable and utterly beautiful costumes there are that populate the film, earning Ruth E. Carter and Black Panther the Super Boffy for Best Costume Design.

Runner-Up: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 8

48 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Our first award of the evening is...

BEST FORUM MOMENT/THREAD

The nominees are...

Avengers Opening Weekend (2012)

The Ballad of John C-Nah (2019)

Catching Fire Weekend Thread (2013)

The Classic Conversation Thread: The Sequel (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy Weekend Thread (2014)

Reactions to the HBO Max Incident (2020)

And the winner is...

Hide contents

59c72e9cdcef1604c72d350f071ef8f9--the-ed

Long time member of the Box Office Forums, @WrathOfHan graduated from college in May of 2021. He had grown up around these parts, joining the forum six years prior. Over the years, he'd provided us with many laughs, bad predictions and memorable threads. However, when one graduates from college, it's easy to fall into malaise and despair in the current job market. Everyone was rooting for Han to find a job, even as prospect after prospect seemed to fall apart.

Then on November 8, 2021, our boy, the kid we'd been making fun of and rooting for the last half-decade shared the news we had all been hoping for. He'd been hired on at a firm in New York City, allowing him to escape the possibly damned fate of becoming a Florida Man. Han now resides in the Big Apple, still working steadily at this job and occasionally feeding us breadcrumbs of insider info from it. Really though? We're all just happy for him. His success at finding a job wins the Super Boffy for Best Forum Moment/Thread.

Runner-Up: The Ballad of John C-Nah (2019)

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952m7aeg0ukn4g971dkyhq

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Next up is...

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

The nominees are...

zlqm08F.png

Ad Astra (2019)

Annihilation (2018)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Dune (2021)

Gravity (2013)

Interstellar (2014)

The Jungle Book (2016)

Life of Pi (2012)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Tenet (2020)

And the winner is...

Dune (2021)

maxresdefault.jpg

It makes sense that the winner of our Visual Effects Super Boffy is the most recent film. After all, visual effects should keep improving with time, right? Alas, we often see movies these days with rushed visual effects, or characters that look barely green-screened together. Then Dune showed up. Although it was available on HBO Max, Dune was a box office hit because of how it realized Arrakis with state-of-the-art visual effects, with phenomenal spaceships, a daunting desert, and, of course, those miraculous spaceworms. The visual effects of Dune made the world of Frank Herbert's imagination stunningly real, and that's why it gets the Super Boffy for Best Visual Effects.

Runner-Up: Gravity (2013)

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 13