Eric Atreides

D23 Expo 2022 Discussion Thread | Friday Schedule (all times PST): Marvel/Lucasfilm/20th (10-12), Disney Branded Television (4-5:45) | Disney Adults Unite!

D23%20Expo%202022,%20Disney.jpg

We’re back y’all.

It’s been three years since the last D23 Expo and a lot has changed. Disney is now the king of streaming, a new CEO has destroyed the company, and everybody’s fighting over whether Marvel should have just ended with Endgame or not. A stark contrast to D23 in 2019, when everybody and everything was on an epic high and nothing could go wrong. Regardless on how the times change, D23 has finally returned, serving as an exciting kick-off to next year’s epic 100th anniversary bash, and as a fun-filled safe haven where Disney Adults can’t be judged by the normies. Of course how Disney will celebrate their 100th birthday is nothing compared to how BOT is going to do it (wink wink).

The day before the expo is the return of Disney+ Day. Not only is Robert Zemeckis’ Pinocchio making its debut, certain to give a whole new generation some nightmare fuel, but we should get plenty of other fun and exciting announcements all tying into the service. And then on Friday, things get crazy. Everything begins with the Disney Legends Ceremony, with CEO Bob Chapek conspicuously absent for...all the obvious reasons. We're also getting a new panel all about Disney and Marvel video games set to come in the next few years. Then of course we get into the Walt Disney Studios panel, where we get news on both theatrical and Disney+ titles from Disney Live-Action, Disney Animation, and Pixar. A Little Mermaid trailer is a given, but what new movies will be announced? What are WDAS' and Pixar's new and exciting plans? Will Strange World and Elemental finally get confirmed as Disney+ originals? How are all those new TV shows haping up? So many questions rattling around our head will get an answer.

Then of course Saturday is the big guns, with Marvel, Lucasfilm. ,and 20th Century talking about their shows and movies. Marvel already had an epic Comic-Con, but it’s certain D23 will have even more surprises. Plus Lucasfilm has Indiana Jones, 300 Star Wars shows to push, and hopefully an announcement on the next Star Wars movie that will never actually come out. And of course, James Cameron's giving us even more details about Avatar: The Way of Water. The sequel we never thought would happen is finally happening, and Disney Adults and Cameronites alike, two groups you would never think would mix, are on the edge of their seats in anticipation. This soon leads into the Disney Branded Television panel, which will showcase all the exciting shows coming to Disney+, Disney Channel, and Disney Junior that aren’t a Marvel/Star Wars thing. Not as exciting, but still containing the likes of National Treasure, The Santa Clauses, and much more.

Sunday will be the day of the theme parks, as per usual, with interesting details hitting Disneyland and Disney World. And those are just the big ones, with many smaller panels and concerts and events happening all throughout the weekend. And if you have time to go to the multiplex, Disney has two modest, but still interesting releases premiering. This includes the 20th Century horror Barbarian, which is getting stellar reviews, and the international distribution of the epic Bollywood feature Brahmastra Part One: Shiva. For all you Disney Adults out there, I hope you have the time of your lives.

As per usual, be nice, be clean, and be respectful. Any funny business, you're getting consequences. But again, just try to have fun, so we can all have a great time. See ya real soon!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117b5f89ec7c3e07e6f2

• Like 2

Got my expectations pretty low, although I'm sure it won't be awful as they are charging money for this. 

At the games showcase for a date for Disney Speedstorm (the free to play kart racer) and some Star Wars games. 

Pixar, WDAS and Live Action, I hope we get a mention of that 2D Bluebeard film (if it is real) and expect the already announced stuff to get some pictures/footage out depending on how far away from release it is.

Marvel, Lucasfilm and 20th Century, I'm hoping for some cool stuff from Willow, Indiana Jones 5 and Mandoverse for the most part. we will probably get TV stuff, Fantastic Four and Thunderbolts from MCU, Avatar and Apes from 20th Century. 

Parks I doubt they announce anything for Japan, so not too interested in that but I'm sure some of the Star Wars stuff will look dope and wouldn't be shocked at an Encanto attraction retheme or announcement of a rude in the works. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

I'm curious what will be announced tomorrow at D+ Day vs D23. Will D+ Day be all of the D+ content, or just a few particulars and save the rest for D23? 

Either way it goes, we should get a lot of info in the next 4 days.

I'm expecting nothing on Disney+ Day itself personally but could just be lowering my expectations. One thing is for certain they are not announcing everything Disney+ related on Disney+ Day as the panel descriptions have mention of Disney+ for example the Disney/Pixar panel:

Join Disney Studios for an all-star look at what’s coming up in theaters and on Disney+ from Disney’s iconic Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, as well as its namesake motion picture group behind such recent Disney hits as Cruella, Jungle Cruise, and Chip ’N Dale: Rescue Rangers.

They have 3 days to announce plenty of stuff coming to Disney+ at the various panels at D23 and I imagine they will still put social posts for people that are not attending, similar to what Marvel Studios did at Comic-Con. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I'm expecting nothing on Disney+ Day itself personally but could just be lowering my expectations. One thing is for certain they are not announcing everything Disney+ related on Disney+ Day as the panel descriptions have mention of Disney+ for example the Disney/Pixar panel:

They have 3 days to announce plenty of stuff coming to Disney+ at the various panels at D23 and I imagine they will still put social posts for people that are not attending, similar to what Marvel Studios did at Comic-Con. 

My main thing announcements wise is filling in the 9 MCU spots for 2024/25. Everything else is just gravy. 

• Like 1

Betting that the Disney brand panel on Friday will be loaded with announcements (details and voice cast announcements for Elemental/The Familiars/the early March 2024 Pixar movie, release dates for Snow White and the live-action Lion King prequel, possible Frozen 3 announcement since the franchise's four principle cast members are becoming Disney Legends this weekend).

Can't wait for all of this!

People are memeing about SW movies and then not getting made, but I personally am expecting exactly nothing on the movie front, as Lucasfilm is being very short term in its announcements lately.

Maybe they finally learned their lesson about medium-term announcements.  I personally think they have. But until medium term turns into short term, guess I'll just have to put up with* all the yuks and jocularity in the meantime.

* read ignore any and all comments therein

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Stuff I'm predicting for D23

Disney Live-action:
- Release date for Snow White
- First looks for Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid
- 2024 movies with dates (Hercules, Lion King Prequel and Maleficent 3 - my predictions)
- Cruella 2 announcement for 2025

Disney Animation:
-Strange World official trailer 
- Announce the 2023 movie
- Prediction: 2 movies in 2024 (Bluebeard and Naditu) 
- Frozen 3 announcement for 2025
- Encanto sequel announcement. 
- Something Tiana series (or Saturday D+ panel?) 

Pixar:
- Elemental images or something. 
- Both 2024 movies announcements. 
-Win or Lose series images or something

Marvel Studios:
- Armor Wars, Wonder Man and Nova thrown into the overcrowded schedule. 
-Deadpool 3 announcement 
- Halloween Special? Guardians Special? 
- Secret Invasion something
- New Black Panther 2 trailer
- F4 casting 
- Thunderbolts line-up 
- Something on the 2023 movies
- Announcement of a surprise 2025 movie

LucasFilm:
- Something Indy 5 
- Lots of Disney Plus stuff. Whatever 
- Next SW movie announcement 

20th Century:
- Something Avatar 2
-White Men Can't Jump 2023 date
- Memorial Day Weekend 2024 movie announcement

55 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Prepared for bare bones on the SW side

Think it kinda depends on what you mean by "bare bones".

Compared to Marvel?  Oh, yes.  Absolutely.  Next.

New announcements?  Well the last time I poo-poo'ed new announcements happening, I had Disney Investor Day blow up in my face.  Then again out of the multiple projects talked about then, one project announced on DID has been officially sent to a rival company (Bones), another is all but dead, if not officially dead (Rangers), and three others are in some sort of state of pre-production limbo where we haven't heard an official peep about them or they're being re-tooled or people aren't available for them yet (Droid StoryRogue Squadron, Lando). 

Mind, several have seen the light of day, but... Well, I think Lucasfilm is in Short Term Mode right now.

So we should get some goods on Andor and the second season of The Bad Batch.  Likely we get more about Tales of the Jedi, though that is such a "small" project, I wouldn't expect much.  Air dates for both of these, I suspect.  Perhaps more on Visions 2 and Ahoska, but those I'm more iffy on. Maybe a BtS, in-house only, on Ahsoka, as that's been shooting more than long enough to get something thrown together.  

Wouldn't be surprised at some sort of vague road map talk for the Mando-verse, either. 

The only thing I think I can possibly really see as a "surprise" announcement is second season of either Boba Fett or Kenobi.  But I don't give great odds on either.

Game Stuff?  That's a hell of a lot more up in the air, IMO.  New DLC for the newest Lego SW game is confirmed, though what it is (from character packs to new levels) is anyone's guess.  Might get some more info on Jedi: Survivor

But it's here where things are more chaotic and possible as there are a lot of balls in the air with contradictory rumors floating about over the last few months without much clarity on which way the wind is really blowing.

And, finally...

Movie Stuff?  Man, don't count on it.  Mind, it has been nearly three months since Celebration, but I don't think that's enough time for things to have finished baking in the oven.  Might be some happy talk, but right now, I'll believe a SW movie is happening in the near term when I hear actors being hired for roles and not a moment sooner.*

* Hell, I might not even believe it until I hear about shooting being underway. 

• Like 1

One probably doesn't need a crystal ball to predict that the Marvel/Lucasfilm/20th Century panel on Saturday is going to be largely dominated by Marvel, the focus on the other two being primarily for already-made-projects Avatar 2 and Indiana Jones 5 (and most likely the new Planet of the Apes movie that recently cast its lead actor).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

One probably doesn't need a crystal ball to predict that the Marvel/Lucasfilm/20th Century panel on Saturday is going to be largely dominated by Marvel, the focus on the other two being primarily for already-made-projects Avatar 2 and Indiana Jones 5 (and most likely the new Planet of the Apes movie that recently cast its lead actor).

Should have mentioned Indy 5, as that's quite likely to get some pub.  But I don't know how much attention it will really get it's still 10 months away.

So maybe some BtS about that as well.

EDIT

Come to think of it, could have a title drop for Indy 5, since it is still unknown at this point.

Edited by Porthos

In semi-related news, Pinocchio is looking like it's going to be severely panned because even praise from even randos on Twitter is looking pretty sparse too. If both Hocus Pocus 2 (then again, not like the original was a critical favorite either) and Disenchanted are greeted with a similar amount of disdain it'll clear up any doubts about what Disney considers worthy of theaters and what is deserving of no better than initially strong streaming numbers followed by a quick disappearance into the streaming pile.

Edited by filmlover

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Think it kinda depends on what you mean by "bare bones".

I’m being a bit hyperbolic, but I’m just hoping they give us a little more than release dates and trailers that were already leaked. Not holding my breath.

But either way I’ll be drowning in SW content starting with Andor between all the shows, books/comics, and games(well really just game for now we’ll see what D23 brings). So if it turns out to be mildly disappointing, meh.

• Like 1