Eric Duncan

Elio | June 13, 2025 | Pixar | Adrian Molina (Coco) directs

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

the weakness of Kung Fu Pandas 2 and 3 say otherwise.

The brand is still big worldwide and the characters are well-known. To revisit the world, especially if done right, might reignite interest especially in North America.

We also don't know how ELIO will perform. We don't have anything to base our predictions on. If it's just on the Pixar brand, well, it's not really good news right now.

I hope both do well, though.

Just now, kayumanggi said:

The brand is still big worldwide and the characters are well-known. To revisit the world, especially if done right, might reignite interest especially in North America.

We also don't know how ELIO will perform. We don't have anything to base our predictions on. If it's just on the Pixar brand, well, it's not really good news right now.

I hope both do well, though.

I think two sequels with diminishing returns says enough...

Original movies are sometimes needed and welcome. Zootopia clobbered Kung Fu Panda 3, remember?

35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think two sequels with diminishing returns says enough...

Original movies are sometimes needed and welcome. Zootopia clobbered Kung Fu Panda 3, remember?

The worldwide numbers were still relatively good, though. MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU also clobbered LIGHTYEAR and STRANGE WORLD, remember?

Bumping for the one year mark

I think this could be pretty big if it's got the reviews. Premise seems like it has potential for a fun space adventure. I'm hoping DreamWorks bluffed putting KFP4 the week after though, seems like a move that hurts both films.

I will say if Disney/Pixar really want to put their money where their mouths are re LGBT representation, this would be a good opportunity to do it with an original concept and openly gay director.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:34 PM, AniNate said:

Bumping for the one year mark

I think this could be pretty big if it's got the reviews. Premise seems like it has potential for a fun space adventure. I'm hoping DreamWorks bluffed putting KFP4 the week after though, seems like a move that hurts both films.

I will say if Disney/Pixar really want to put their money where their mouths are re LGBT representation, this would be a good opportunity to do it with an original concept and openly gay director.

Another Pixar movie which will be banned in many countries. Which would limit its potential for WW gross. 

I said that of course before Elemental's reviews and Pixar's layoffs made it clear they're in dire straits.

I dunno, just gonna hope for the best with this movie. Adrian Molina at least has an acclaimed movie to his credit with Coco and the premise seems more relatable on the surface than Elemental's.

Not terribly unusual to start promoting the March release with their prior summer movie, definitely would be far too late to wait until Wish.

Also it looks like Pixar may once again need to move on quickly from their current promotional subject.

• Sad 1