YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

Star plushies are going to sell like hot cakes.

I remain impress how Disney successfully monetises their IP, I was looking at the most successful media franchises and Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh has made tens of billions from merchandise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Star plushies are going to sell like hot cakes.

I remain impress how Disney successfully monetises their IP, I was looking at the most successful media franchises and Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh has made tens of billions from merchandise. 

Hell,they have been doing that since the early Thirties, when Mickey Mouse products becmae the first really bid movie merchandising phemenonon.

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Is Disney going to do another red carpet with the actors? Seems like a waste not to do it with the strike over. Disney should just throw up something at the El Capitan theater.

Ariana was at Disneyland the other day singing This Wish. Think London is hosting its own premiere early next week so I'm sure they'll show up for that.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Ariana was at Disneyland the other day singing This Wish. Think London is hosting its own premiere early next week so I'm sure they'll show up for that.

Also Ariana Debose and Chris Pine have begun the first interviews and in France we have a preview of Wish in front of general public in Grand Rex , i read two or three reaction and they are very good , now the next test is the end of Embargo Friday and the early access Saturday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It's why the whole 'Disney is dying' hyperbole is ridiculous. 

Now in the late 70s and early 80's Disney was in deep trouble ; the parks were the only division that was making a profit, and there were a couuple of hostile takeover threats which would have destroyed Disney by selling of all it's assets.  If Disney could survive that they can survive anything. And they are in v astly better shape to survive a couple of rough yearss then they were back in the Early 80's.

I get why people don't like Disney; I  agree that cheerleading Disney is like cheeleading Bank of America oF General Motors, to swipe a phrase about rooting fo rthe New York Yankees whern they totally dominated baseball. But' let's not get silly.

And yeah, Dsiney wrote the book on merchandasing an IP. Thye have been doing it since the 1930's and everybody else is pretty much just stealing from the Disney book.

• Like 3

At the very least the DeBose songs are good. I’m very curious to see how reception pans out come this Friday with reviews. Suspect story will be generic but everything else carries which is fitting giving the team of Buck, Lee and Fawn.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Really would like to get that embargo over with. I just have a bad feeling this will end up decidedly mid like Strange World (especially reading Letterboxd early reviews), which is about the worst thing that could happen for WDAS right now. 

WDAS needs a home run hit, not just a modest sucess.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

WDAS needs a home run hit, not just a modest sucess.

Yes, exactly. Couple with the fact that WDAS only has a few “terrible” movies in their whole catalog, and the movie doesn’t need to be bad to be a massive failure. Mediocre would do it (like Strange World). 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Really would like to get that embargo over with. I just have a bad feeling this will end up decidedly mid like Strange World (especially reading Letterboxd early reviews), which is about the worst thing that could happen for WDAS right now. 

No way this will do as poorly as that film, since that film was part of the culture war (the son was gay; was open about his crush; family fully accepts him)

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

No way this will do as poorly as that film, since that film was part of the culture war (the son was gay; was open about his crush; family fully accepts him)

I don’t think it can do as bad as SW either (that’s basically an all time admissions low for them). I just meant it won’t be a hit with middling reception 

A lot more press screenings tonight, when they come they're gonna come in a tidal wave.

Elemental did prove that mid reviews aren't necessarily a death sentence, though it would obviously be preferable for the critics to be much more on board here just from a general shutting up the negativity perspective.