YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

14 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m not sure what vendetta critics were waging against Disney at the time, but something is definitely up there with Brother Bear. It’s about as innocuous as it gets, there’s no way that’s WDAS worst of all time like the reviews suggest. 37% is objectively ridiculous. 

OMG, I loved Brother Bear when I was young and still do nowadays. 🐻

I remember seeing that film in theaters back in 2003, and it was a fun & enjoyable experience. The memorable and engaging characters, the beautiful animation, emotional story and soundtrack (including the songs). And yeah, the low RT-score on that film is just ludicrous, since I think that Disney film has far more heart than it has any right to be.

And yet Brother Bear was a big enough hit at over $250M worldwide for a traditional 2D animated Disney film, which while not as much as “Lilo & Stitch” & “The Princess and the Frog” from the same decade (2000’s), it did do more WW than all the other 2D animated Disney films at the time.

kenai-koda.gif

• Like 2

I’ve been following Wish closely since it was first announced last September and it’s been one of my most anticipated movies of 2023… so even with all the craziness and unpredictability we've seen this year from the movie industry/box office, Wish ending up with a rotten critics score and what’s looking like a subpar box office run tops this year's WTF list for me. Just very disappointing.

Regardless, I have tickets for Tuesday and I hope I’ll still enjoy the movie.

Edited by deniima

7 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

OMG, I loved Brother Bear when I was young and still do nowadays. 🐻

I remember seeing that film in theaters back in 2003, and it was a fun & enjoyable experience. The memorable and engaging characters, the beautiful animation, emotional story and soundtrack (including the songs). And yeah, the low RT-score on that film is just ludicrous, since I think that Disney film has far more heart than it has any right to be.

And yet Brother Bear was a big enough hit at over $250M worldwide for a traditional 2D animated Disney film, which while not as much as “Lilo & Stitch” & “The Princess and the Frog” from the same decade (2000’s), it did do more WW than all the other 2D animated Disney films at the time.

kenai-koda.gif

As previously pointed out, I think it had to be a critics trying to give Disney a “wake up call” situation after the highs of the Renaissance and then several critical and/or commercial failures in the early 00s. Though Lilo and Stitch was the year before and a huge hit all around. Still very odd, Brother Bear is just one of the weirdest films of theirs to “hate” on. Like I get some critics being mid on it, but not negative. 

Wish isn’t in the same situation as BB though, Disney has just come out of the Revival (in fact we didn’t even know for sure if the Revival was over until just right now with this reception Id argue) with only one dud so far. So it’s not like Wish would be “paying” for a Disney rotten streak over the past few years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I love Disney's Dinosaur. Such a fun movie to watch, plus seeing all the nice cgi. That and Emperor's New Groove are my favorites from the '00s decade.

Dinosaur always fights Home on the Range and Chicken Little for my all time worst WDAS lol. I like it slightly better I think, but the movie being a very derivative “remake” of The Land Before Time minus the good characters or any emotional stakes makes it a real low to me.  

Emperor’s is a modern classic all the way. One of the easiest WDAS to rewatch, that runtime feels like 25 mins everytime. So glad we got what we got instead of the original “epic” Renaissance musical format that it started out as, because they were having issues with that and honestly what we got is so much more unique. We didn’t need an 11th Renaissance style musical in a row when we already had so many classics. 

• Like 1

This outcome was to be expected. I was criticized on here when I said that everything in the trailers had zero appeal to anyone who is not a preschooler, but I still think that is true to this day and the main reason for the rotten score. 

Pheraps small children will enjoy this, but its derivative and oversimplicistic plot, juvenile humour that dangerously borders on trashy (that scene with the chickens popping out eggs... something that you would see in a razzie nominee) it's an hard sell for adults. The music itself is underwhelming and low budget-y except some songs.

Still I wouldn't rule out that this somehow becomes a success with its main audience (small children) either in theatres or (more likely) once it hits streaming. Moana was a shallow, badly written story with pantomime characters and some really trashy humour yet it is beloved by children and went on to become a streaming mega hit. I think that it is simply time to accept that the WDAS are not trying to impress adults anymore ( they had this as a secondary goal back in the '90s, but have now completely abandoned it and left room for Pixar to fill that gap) and IMHO the critics should also keep that in mind when reviewing this kind of movies.

Which is to say, ok.... for a grown up this movie might be terrible, but is it good for a child? Then there is no way that it can be rotten, because it serves its purpose. The same thing goes for Mario too, that film should have not been rotten either.  

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I will not acknowledge the mud slinging at Moana. 

It was a gorgeous film to look at and had some amazing tunes, but the way the plot and characters (especially Maui) were written was extremely bad, a poor reash of Pocahontas's already tired tropes (i suggest watching Lindsey Ellis's deep-dive essay on that). 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

It was a gorgeous film to look at and had some amazing tunes, but the way the plot and characters (especialy Maui) were written was extremely bad, a poor reash of Pocahontas's already tired tropes (i suggest watching Lindsey Ellis's deep-dive essay on that). 

There is literally nothing similar about Moana and Pocahontas except they both portray (very different) indigenous cultures. Pocahontas and Avatar? Sure, I get the comps. Never heard anyone try to say Moana is a Pocahontas rehash though. 

On an aside about Pocahontas… also saw the soundtrack of that movie dragged in here as well and what??? Pocahontas has many problems, but the soundtrack and animation are absolutely not some of them. Colors of the Wind is arguably the pinnacle of the Renaissance music, and the closing orchestral reprise scene was the best music + visuals sequence in WDAS history up until Moana’s I Am Moana and Know Who You Are sequences in my opinion. Just Around the Riverbend is also a Renaissance highlight. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

It was a gorgeous film to look at and had some amazing tunes, but the way the plot and characters (especially Maui) were written was extremely bad, a poor reash of Pocahontas's already tired tropes (i suggest watching Lindsey Ellis's deep-dive essay on that). 

Moana clears Pocohantas in its fucking sleep. The only redeeming thing about Pocohantas is quite literally two songs.

• ...wtf 1

Not surprised by the bad reviews.Film (unlike literature) has potential to be a medium that transcends age gaps in it’s ability to appeal,and that was the real legacy of Walt.It was his ability to take simple stories like Snow White and meat it up to be a rich cinematic experience,yes some  might  say now Snow White looks like a simple childrens film by today’s standards, but for its time it was a revolutionary film that pushed the limits of film period.Ultimately becoming the highest grossing film of its time,with many famous filmmakers pointing it out as a major cinematic influence.So when I look at wish I see something that in theory was meant to pay homage to films like Snow White but it lacks the boldness and ambition that those films achieved.It’s like their paying homage to the stereotype of Disney rather then what Walt’s films really stood for(I mean look at the artistry in Bambi,and fantasia etc.).Not to say the film doesn’t seem to have some good elements it’s just it looks like it lacks the boldness that Walt strived for with his top tier films.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YM! said:

Moana clears Pocohantas in its fucking sleep. The only redeeming thing about Pocohantas is quite literally two songs.

(On the topic of Pocahontas.)Pocahontas meeting John smith is a brilliant scene showcasing great pacing and powerful character animation.I would bet that James Cameron was inspired by that scene with Netiri meeting jake in avatar.

18 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Hm, I remember someone, I think bigscreenleaks, saying that this movie got some positive reactions during test screenings, but I’m not sure if that may hold true here.

I think the audiences that see these movies early may not be as honest as we think?

Early audience reactions have been very sketchy this year. So much stuff this year supposedly getting “rave” reactions only to get outright rejected by critics and audiences.