filmlover

Best Director Predictions: 2022

Baumbach should win this. The fact he won't even be considered as a possible nomination is asinine. I can't fathom being a director, seeing what he crafts here, and not finding it representative of your profession

Anyway I'll go

Damien Chazelle

Daniels

Todd Field

Martin McDonagh

Steven Spielberg

ALT:

James Cameron- DGA

Ruben Ostlund

Sarah Polley- Globe?

I feel rather confident in 4/5 here. McDonagh is the weak link but Banshees is universally acclaimed and complimented for its visual style. He was 6th in 2017 for Three Billboards so he's on the verge of finally breaking out. 

Chazelle is locked as long as Babylon doesn't flop (it won't). Spielberg isn't missing. Daniels might miss here and there like Globes and BAFTA, but they'll make DGA and the film is a certified contender. Lastly, Field fits the bill of the highbrow austere nominee.

I think James Cameron makes the DGA but gets snubbed at Oscar. Not feeling Polley. The color grade and visual style of Women Talking has been criticized and the branch dislikes stagey films. Ostlund has a shot but Field gobbles up so many highbrow votes and Triangle of Sadness needs to hold strong at the box office and build WOM.

• Like 1

Almost every year we get someone who seemingly locked for nomination but left out eventually. Last year was Denis and previous example are such as Brandley Cooper for ASIB, Martin Macdonagh for 3 billboard, Scott for the Martian, Affleck for Argo and Nolan for Inception. If there is one this year, I am thinking Martin Macdonagh again given his film are the least flashy among all "locked" nominees. 

Edward certainly come up fast as best director nominees and I am expecting he make it into the finalist but I am still watching out either Cameron or Sarah polley to kick out any of the above "locked" director slot. 

• Like 1