chasmmi

The Top Foreign Film List is Go...

80th: The Lives of Others (Germany) 6 Votes: 110 Points

2020 Position: 37th

Kakao-Talk-20221026-194153635.jpg

And they say that romance in East Germany is dead. 

Looks like it's one of those films set in a dystopian futu... oh. 

Looks like a decent film to be honest. Maybe not enough shooty shooty bang bang to keep the likes of me amused, but for more high brow cinephiles, this looks like a decent recommend. Now, onwards to some Black and White thing from the 30s I am sure... 

ooof, 37th last time out is a drop. This is really calling for a third installment two years from now to see which of these lists turns out to be the outlier. 

The real list we all care about:

5 - Japan

4 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - Russia (includes USSR) 

1 - France

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Germany

• Like 8

79th: Amelie (France) 6 Votes: 112 Points

2020 Position: 21st

Kakao-Talk-20221026-194335477.jpg

Ooh, is this the one about chocolate?! Wait, that is probably Chocolat. Was that one even French, my brain is telling me it had Johnny Depp in it. 

Seems like a lovely little French film about love and stuff. I put the over/under at 11 explicit sex scenes.

Every few years there is a French film that seems to be everywhere (at least in the UK), there was Femme Nikita, Intouchables, Jean Reno being a medieval soldier, Gerard Depadieu being.. well himself but next to Asterix. They always get differing levels of traction. I never see them. Except Nikita, Nikita was fun. 

And another huge drop as Amelie goes from almost top 20 to almost not top 80. It is becoming very hard to predict what film might come next... 

5 - Japan

4 - India

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

2 - France

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Germany

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

78th: Army of Shadows (France) 6 Votes: 113 Points

2020 Position: 135th

Kakao-Talk-20221026-194550252.jpg

Sounds like an Evil Dead film, I may be in!!

nope, not evil dead.

Definitely a beloved French film, it kicks off with long drawn out shots of 5 different unhappy looking men and none of them speak a line. What is more classic French cinema than that? Anyhow, this list isn't here to tell me what 20th century Eurocinema not to watch. It is a grand sprawling list of suggestions to a variety of target audiences that may be into this stuff, or other stuff, or just film stuff. 

This film was 115 places below Amelie last time around, that is quite the turn around to now be one place ahead. Is it justified though. 

5 - Japan

4 - India

3 - France

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Germany

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

77th: Metropolis (Germany) 5 Votes: 113 Points

2020 Position: 253rd

Kakao-Talk-20221026-194335477.jpg 

A German Superman film. I would make a joke, but that would only be understood by a Nietzsche audience.

Ok, this one may be evil dead.

This just looks freaky. It is obviously not something I have seen and that means nothing, If I watched and enjoyed this it would mean that it is the sort of shallow gumpf fit for a neanderthal and not the high art of auteurism that visitors to this forum always crave. I recommend watching with subtitles. 

A huge jump from last time around as this rockets about 170 places from outside the top 200, to inside the top 80. This list is wild. 

5 - Japan

4 - India

3 - France

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

76th: The Wind Rises (Japan) 6 Votes: 114 Points

2020 Position: 67th

Kakao-Talk-20221026-194750561.jpg

Time to talk about the most aggressively fine film Ghibli ever made. 

Planes, planes and flying mobiles. 

This film is fine. A decent time had by all as an artist who very much loves and appreciates an engineer makes a film about said engineer loving and appreciating planes. it is a passion project and the love is clearly there. It's just... a film about a dude who likes planes. Nothing wrong with that, but also, I don't hate planes, where's my biography. 

What this? A Japanese film dropped places, and a Ghibli film at that! Now nothing can be assumed. What is going on?!

6 - Japan

4 - India

3 - France

2 - Italy

2 - South Korea 

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 8

75th: JSA (Korea) 5 Votes: 115 Points

2020 Position: 51st

75-JSA.png

So the best film of all time is only the 75th best foreign film...hmmm

Nothing more high brow and cinema than spitting

Yeah, I love this film, I think it is not just the best Park Chan Wook film, it is the best Korean film, the best foreign film, and just the best film. I am a big fan and I implore folks out there to give it a whirl (I think it is on Amazon now)

And it falls like 25 places, this is saddening. I hold out hope that one time in the future this will break top 30 or 40, but it is hard to be confident for sure. I will always have hope though, 

6 - Japan

4 - India

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

2 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 6

74th: Andhadhun (India) 4 Votes: 116 Points

2020 Position: 72nd

74-ANdhadhun.png

So this is a very intense noir drama about a pianist? ...with song and dance numbers obviously?

Okay well there is piano and songs, the lead isn't doing much dancing though and the colour is not exactly black and white either. 

So is this more Hindi La La Land or Hindi Ray? It is a nice song to be fair and again I am always charmed by Bollywood stuff when I see clips of it, I just... are they still all three hours? I don't have three hours to put aside to watch a film. I only really have time to watch 16 episodes of a sitcom back to back instead. 

Well this held essentially flat. That is unlike a lot of films that have been bouncing around like Higgs Boson particles in here.

6 - Japan

5 - India

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

2 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 7

73rd: Rang De Besanti (India) 3 Votes: 119 Points

2020 Position: 88th

73-Rang-de-BEsanti.png

This is a film about a Coldplay song?

More Hindi, more singing, more to like if you are down with that. 

This feels like a film that is maybe a little more made for the Indian market by the Indian market, than one intended to be an international breakout. But that is me assuming based off one song, an AI poster, and the fact that I show up near the end as an assumed antagonist.  :) 

List wise, this one rises a decent few places and that is a positive sign for overall Indian output as it pulls level with Japan on 6 films. well... until the tides possibly turn again at least. 

6 - Japan

6 - India

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

2 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 7

72nd: Dangal (India) 3 Votes: 119 Points

2020 Position: 53rd

72-Dangal.png
json format checker

Is this a Great Khali biopic?

Oh wait... this is proper wrestling. Did Aamir Khan put on weight for this?

From what I gather, India is pretty good at nailing sports films about sports that you maybe would not expect to be cinematic go tos. Whether it is women's hockey, wrestling or possibly even cricket, I think the melodrama bent of cinema here really makes sporting triumphs feel special in movie form. I mean, not that I have seen this one obviously. 

Well now I don't know how to assess India's performance. Three entries in a row, one rises, one stays the same, one falls. I can confidently therefore say that... India makes movies. 

7 - India

6 - Japan

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

2 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 8

71st: The Battle Of Algiers (Italy) 4 Votes: 119 Points

2020 Position: 52nd

71-Battle-ALgiers.png

That picture clearly shows a battle so it may actually be accurate. 

I film beloved by great directors, likely less liked by me. You decide whose opinion you cherish more. 

I remember the trailer for this last time out and was impressed by how real some of the stuff looked (I believe mostly because they just decided to actually blow stuff up and hope everybody was fine after). Probably a really good shout as a suggestion for those of you interested in the black and white Italian war film genre.  

Well isn't that a fun quirk. This film finished one place above Dangal last time out too... albeit about 20 positions higher. Another Italian drop off, but not as steep as those which preceded it. 

7 - India

6 - Japan

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

72-Dangal.png
json format checker

Is this a Great Khali biopic?

Oh wait... this is proper wrestling. Did Aamir Khan put on weight for this?

From what I gather, India is pretty good at nailing sports films about sports that you maybe would not expect to be cinematic go tos. Whether it is women's hockey, wrestling or possibly even cricket, I think the melodrama bent of cinema here really makes sporting triumphs feel special in movie form. I mean, not that I have seen this one obviously. 

Well now I don't know how to assess India's performance. Three entries in a row, one rises, one stays the same, one falls. I can confidently therefore say that... India makes movies. 

7 - India

6 - Japan

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

2 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

STOP THE COUNT

I think Baahubali 1 & 2 will def make it, RRR also quite safe I guess. Don't see 3 Idiots missing,  Pather Panchali, Lagaan and Gangs of Wasseypur should be there too. DDLJ and Sholay are a may be.

So 14-15 can be expected, down from last time around but good enough for 3rd after Japan and France. Korea may be close.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

73rd: Rang De Besanti (India) 3 Votes: 119 Points

2020 Position: 88th

One of my fav movies, really well made and an excellent story. Teen me cried in theatres at the end.

Disappointed to see this fall but still glad it made the list. Another excellent Aamir Khan movie.

On 10/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, chasmmi said:

75th: JSA (Korea) 5 Votes: 115 Points

2020 Position: 51st

75-JSA.png

So the best film of all time is only the 75th best foreign film...hmmm

Nothing more high brow and cinema than spitting

Yeah, I love this film, I think it is not just the best Park Chan Wook film, it is the best Korean film, the best foreign film, and just the best film. I am a big fan and I implore folks out there to give it a whirl (I think it is on Amazon now)

And it falls like 25 places, this is saddening. I hold out hope that one time in the future this will break top 30 or 40, but it is hard to be confident for sure. I will always have hope though, 

6 - Japan

4 - India

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

2 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

I saw JSA recently for this list. I liked it and it made it near the end of my list, but it was somewhat ruined for me by my own experience in the army. 

Spoiler

Even when guarding the perimeter of a base in the middle of the country and not next to any border you would be checked regularly, so you couldn't disappear for long without others knowing about it. I found it unbelievable that you could just walk across the border for hours multiple times and never be found out.

• Like 1

70th: Late Spring (Japan) 4 Votes: 119 Points

2020 Position: 183rd

bhj2yu.png

(This may actually have been a Korean film... but that one had like a 6/10 IMDB rating so... oh also that was called Last Spring)

They ride bikes... they ride bikes for two minutes. They just ride bikes.  

I have very little to really say about this one. I am guessing it is set in May?

It rises 100 places to give Japan another spot on this list. Draws level with India again. 

7 - India

7 - Japan

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

1 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 8

69th: Fanny and Alexander (Sweden) 4 Votes: 120 Points

2020 Position: 123rd

bhj2yu.png 

(This may actually have been a Korean film... but that one had like a 6/10 IMDB rating so... oh also that was called Last Spring)

It's official, Sweden is cold.

I am guessing this is some King and I type deal? Let's check... Nope just a couple of theatre kids. I know I am kind paying lip service to these few entries, I'm still a little out of it today to be honest, but wanted to get something out. Sadly it is so far a group of films I would struggle to have much to say about at 100%. Sorry Sweden. 

Rises over 50 places to enter the top 100 nicely. Will Sweden get a bit of shine in the sun?

7 - India

7 - Japan

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 8

68th: The Tale of Princess Kaguya (Japan) 6 Votes: 120 Points

2020 Position: 40th

bhLTjR.png

And the Ghibli take on Poochy the Dog comes in at 68th. 

I actually like this one, even if the ending is weird. 

Ghibli continuing its strong showing as the second best film it released that year arrives in 68th place. It is very pretty in its own stylistic way and I can see why it gets love. Even if I put it as a mid-tier Ghibli outing. 

Drops a fair few spots to continue the weird bouncing around of Japanese placings since last time out. But still a solid finish. 

8 - Japan

7 - India

3 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 7

67th: A Man Escaped (France) 6 Votes: 120 Points

2020 Position: 78th

bjdz92.th.png 

from where? People needs to know

Wait, is the title a spoiler? 

French black and white film does as French black and white films do. Sad man does sad monologue and we all hope they stop being sad. 

A rise of 10 places continues French consistency, so we shall see if that continues as the number of spots left to fill slowly gets smaller. 

8 - Japan

7 - India

4 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico

1 - Hong Kong

• Like 9

66th: Castle in the Sky (Japan) 7 Votes: 120 Points

2020 Position: 81st

bj3hYv.th.png

Oh, I almost watched this one.

Now I know the Iron Giant Origin Story

I was so close to having watched two whole films from a set of five. I saw like the opening 2 minutes of this, but it turned out to be the dub and I couldn't go through with it. Luckily in the next set of 5, I have actually seen...oh... one again. 

One ghibli film drops about 20 places, another rises about 20 places. This is... I don't know what to expect anymore from this list.

9 - Japan

7 - India

4 - France

3 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

2 - Germany

2 - Sweden

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Mexico