chasmmi

The Top Foreign Film List is Go...

27th Belle (Japan)6 Votes: 178 Points

2020 Position: Not Eligible

HFPuRyb.png

Remind me never to rely on AI for anything, ever.

I mean, congratulations on placing so high, but you're not even the best film called Belle. 

It's not Kurosawa or ghibli, but its still pretty standard Japanese entry fayre. A young pretty girl who nobody thinks is pretty turns out to be lovely and everybody love her except when the plot decides somebody should and then some zany nightmare creatures get involved to bring the film to conclusion. Or at least I assume, the thing above is enough to ensure that I will never know for sure. :) 

Forget 25, Japan may hit 30 at this rate. 

The real list we all care about:

22 - Japan

14 - India

11 - France

5 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

3 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

2 - Russia (includes USSR) 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

26th Passion of Joan of Arc (France) 5 Votes: 180 Points

2020 Position: 193rd

HFP6vTP.png

Well that has more colour than the film does. 

That actress has nightmare eyes

I can only assume that @Plain Old Tele has about 4 alternate accounts because somehow a silent French film has blitzed its way up the list at a rate never seen before. If I wanted to read in French, I would have been born French.  

170 place rise is... it must be the record right? That is just madness. 

22 - Japan

14 - India

12 - France

5 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

3 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

• Like 9

25th La Grande Illusion (France) 7 Votes: 180 Points

2020 Position: 89th

HFiEmzP.png

One man, armed with his trusty grappling hook, will scale that little tower behind him!

Much near century old Frenchness incoming...

A film that I assume centres around some form of magic trick that is of a significant size. The man in the Youtube thumbnail looks as smug as Joan looked terrifying. What i am taking away from this list is that apart from Japanese cartoons and Indian musicals, we seem to collectively feel that international cinema peaked in about 1958.

Another big riser from France as this increases by about 60 or so places and now puts a lot of pressure on India for that number 2 spot. 

22 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

3 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the delay folks. 

As an aside, I think I am still on course for getting through this list without a single not cool reaction, which is nice. Especially considering how thoroughly obnoxious I am being towards films I do not like / have not seen. :D 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 5

On 11/26/2022 at 3:11 AM, chasmmi said:

26th Passion of Joan of Arc (France) 5 Votes: 180 Points

2020 Position: 193rd

HFP6vTP.png

Well that has more colour than the film does. 

That actress has nightmare eyes

I can only assume that @Plain Old Tele has about 4 alternate accounts because somehow a silent French film has blitzed its way up the list at a rate never seen before. If I wanted to read in French, I would have been born French.  

170 place rise is... it must be the record right? That is just madness. 

22 - Japan

14 - India

12 - France

5 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

3 - Sweden

3 - Germany

2 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

I guess I'm becoming an old soul at my old age. I ranked it pretty high. 

On 11/26/2022 at 8:20 AM, chasmmi said:

Sorry for the delay folks. 

As an aside, I think I am still on course for getting through this list without a single not cool reaction, which is nice. Especially considering how thoroughly obnoxious I am being towards films I do not like / have not seen. :D 

I love that 5 of us did exactly the right thing to this post. Good job guys!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24th Hard Boiled (Hong Kong) 9 Votes: 181 Points

2020 Position: 41st

HKmJ03x.png

Oh yeah, Hong Kong is a part of this. I forgot

So not a sequel to Sausage Party then?

This is the dove dude right? Then this is probably good fun. I mean, no Face Off level good, but good none the less. That is probably enough to make it a good recommendation if you want to see people shoot/kick fools for 95 minutes.

Hong Kong has arguably been hit harder than Italy in the years since the first list. Only 3 feels like a massive drop off compared to before. Although Hong Kong does seems to have an India like issue of fans of the nation's output spread their love over a lot more films compared to France and Japan.

22 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

3 - Italy

3 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

• Like 8

23rd M (Germany) 8 Votes: 183 Points

2020 Position: 85th

HKm2th7.png

What is? That is? I am assuming the actual film does not have a giant soldier ant?

Also not a James Bond origin story. 

There have been a lot of near 100 year old European films recently. That is a pretty big surprise for me. Not that these films are good/bad, just that films from so long ago are still holding their own alongside the deluge of cartoons, sing songs, and Koreans doing crazy fuck-genre stuff. 

Germany breaks free of the 3 movie group to get on the top 5 list and... is there another German film left to bring it up to Korea?

22 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

4 - Germany

3 - Italy

3 - Sweden

3 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

• Like 9

22nd Persona (Sweden) 6 Votes: 193 Points

2020 Position: 35th

HKmYYoF.png

Looks more like Grimm than Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfPjC2Fbd3w

Wow, Atlas Studios really did veer a lot from the source material for the games. 

Seems like this has the dialogue of a French film. Sex sex sex, is that all any film ever wants to talk about these days...er those days. Whatever happened to the good old days of 20 to 30 years after this film released? Jokes aside, Sweden has had decent representation in both lists and therefore if one is looking to experiment with a new filmmaking nation from the pre-colour times, maybe this can be a decent place to start.

No sooner does Germany break free of the pack, the pack makes its own move back. Next you'll be telling me there are even other Hong Kong and Italian films out there.   

22 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

4 - Germany

4 - Sweden

3 - Italy

3 - Hong Kong

2 - Mexico

• Like 8

21st In the Mood for Love (Hong Kong) 7 Votes: 194 Points

2020 Position: 13th

HKmbkJI.png

I can't look away from her eyes. 

Add an outraged girlfriend and you have an internet meme in that freezeframe.

Is this the start of the HongKongassaince? (There needs to be a resurgence just because that is a cool sounding word). We are finally back in the 21st century (although technically 2000 is not the 21st century but the end of the twentieth century as there is no year zero yadda yadda). Either way, I assume that this is not a kicky, punchy, fighty game, but a love story.

Remember back when Germany was free and away on its own with 4 films? feels like an age ago doesn't it? i am almost expecting Italy to be next now.    (I have also rounded up the stragglers that somehow were clipped from some recent entries.)

22 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

4 - Germany

4 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

3 - Italy

2 - Mexico

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Norway

1 - Indonesia

• Like 9

20th Grave of the Fireflies (Japan) 8 Votes: 199 Points

2020 Position: 12th

HKp77lj.png

I was dreading this poster creation, but it is not that bad. 

Yeah fuck putting any of the big scenes in here and putting myself through that in this cafe. 

This is my personal top animated film of all time and I think I placed it 4th or 5th on my personal list here. I think it is a fantastic film and am kind of sad to see it drop a few places when all the Ghibli also rans are blasting 100 places up the list from last time out. 

Yeah, a 4th Italian film was clearly a bridge too far. Maybe one day Pinnochio will get some love?

23 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

4 - Germany

4 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

3 - Italy

2 - Mexico

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Norway

1 - Indonesia

• Like 8

Disclaimer: If you are sensitive to angry, yet correct takes regarding a beloved animation that many people love but fills me with the bile of a thousand gall bladders, skip this entry. You can see the title, just assume that nothing positive was said. :) 

19th My Neighbour Totoro (Japan) 10 Votes: 200 Points

2020 Position: 29th

HKpDQXs.png

Curse it, curse you all. This totoro rat abomination will doom us all!!

This. This beat Grave of the Fireflies. The stupid smiling giant rat waiting for a nightmare bus in the rain.

Mama always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. With that said...

24 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

4 - Germany

4 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

3 - Italy

2 - Mexico

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Norway

1 - Indonesia

No, no, no screw that! 1 point. I fecking bastard point. That is how much this sewer water smoothie of a disgrace beat the best animated film of all time by. How? Why? I am going to paint a 40 foot high sad Will Smith face on the face of the moon for this. Nothing happens in this film. Nothing? There is no film here. Just a stupid rat sleeping and waiting for a bus. It is the worst. THE WORST. Damn everything about this film. But I am not bitter,

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

Disclaimer: If you are sensitive to angry, yet correct takes regarding a beloved animation that many people love but fills me with the bile of a thousand gall bladders, skip this entry. You can see the title, just assume that nothing positive was said. :) 

19th My Neighbour Totoro (Japan) 10 Votes: 200 Points

2020 Position: 29th

HKpDQXs.png

Curse it, curse you all. This totoro rat abomination will doom us all!!

This. This beat Grave of the Fireflies. The stupid smiling giant rat waiting for a nightmare bus in the rain.

Mama always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. With that said...

24 - Japan

14 - India

13 - France

5 - South Korea 

4 - Germany

4 - Hong Kong

4 - Sweden

3 - Italy

2 - Mexico

1 - Poland 

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Norway

1 - Indonesia

No, no, no screw that! 1 point. I fecking bastard point. That is how much this sewer water smoothie of a disgrace beat the best animated film of all time by. How? Why? I am going to paint a 40 foot high sad Will Smith face on the face of the moon for this. Nothing happens in this film. Nothing? There is no film here. Just a stupid rat sleeping and waiting for a bus. It is the worst. THE WORST. Damn everything about this film. But I am not bitter,

Fuck this movie

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, chasmmi said:

And there you have it... top 100 completed in record time. 

On 6/12/2022 at 6:56 PM, ZeeSoh said:

Record time indeed lol

Hide contents

Hopefully a record that won't be broken :P

Damn Chasmmi you took my comment in the best song thread seriously huh, really going for the record indeed :P

• Like 1