YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I expected BA to be 40-50 range, so its overperforming my before the sales started expectations by around $5-10M. A week ago looked like may come in expected range, but the leaks made good bump in sales.

22 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The theater was dead silent throughout Black Adam but clapped wildly at the post credit.

What a world

And the people running WB and DC Films before the Discovery merger didn't want it to happen.

• Like 1

Caught a 12:15pm showing of Ticket to Paradise today and there was a surprising number of Boomers in attendance along with a smattering of Gen Xers. Maybe 25 total people present when I was expecting maybe 10 or so. While the movie is nowhere near as funny as Bros, the movie is sufficiently amusing and charming. Roberts and Clooney continue to share incredible on-screen chemistry which is pretty much why most people will go see it. If it can attract younger audiences, the movie could certainly exceed expectations as older adult audiences are a sure thing.

3 hours ago, YSLDC said:

The problem is that nowadays, every time a DC movie underperforms, comes an MCU movie to rub it in by grossing a billion. It's a constant reminder to WB executives and investors that these movies are not delivering. 

They’re going to continue to not perform if you continue to look at what Marvel is doing. Those Marvel numbers didn’t happen overnight… DC/WB should stop focusing on Marvel/Disney and do their own thing… also let’s not act like Marvel is without fault, weren’t MOM and Thor 4 considered guaranteed 1 billion dollar hits? How’d that go? 

Black Adam and Shazam shows me that WB needs to cut back on the budgets and build the audience for their lesser known characters first! Shazam was a success and is getting a sequel because of its budget… Black Adam didn’t earn that 200M budget! Thankfully for DC their next lesser known character (Blue Beetle) is reasonably budgeted and is getting positive test reviews (family dynamic is being praised and it’s a mix of Iron Man 1/ Spiderverse) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

21 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

two tickets to paradise

Lol I said this to the kid at the counter last night. After we got the tickets, I was humming the song under my breath until my friend told me to shut up.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Variety have been going hard on this for a few weeks now. 

“NEGATIVE reviews” for days when it was 55% lol. 

It’s easy clicks when a comic book movie has bad reviews, who can blame them honestly. Though I get what you’re saying. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

I mean, 55% is bad? Seems like a pretty fair characterization unless they went farther than that.   

Guessing 59-64ish here, which will beat my earlier expectations slightly but can’t really be making WB happy given the budget and OS.

The revised DCEU ranking:

1. The Suicide Squad

2. Birds of Prey

3. Snyder Cut

4. Wonder Woman

5. Aquaman

6. Shazam

7. WW84

8. Suicide Squad

9. BVS

10. Man of Steel

11. Black Adam

12. Justice League

Revised DC ranking:

1. The Dark Knight

2. The Batman

3. Batman (89)

4. The Suicide Squad

5. Batman Forever

6. Mask of the Phantasm

7. Batman Begins

8. Superman

9. Batman Returns

10. TDKR

11. Superman 2

12. Batman (66)

13. LEGO Batman

14. Birds of Prey

15. Snyder Cut

16. Wonder Woman

17. Watchmen

18. Swamp Thing

19. Return of Swamp Thing

20. Joker

21. Steel

22. Aquaman

23. Shazam

24. WW84

25. Suicide Squad

26. BVS

27. Man of Steel

28. Batman and Robin

29. V For Vendetta

30. Constatine

31. Superman Returns

32. Superpets

33. The Losers

34. Teen Titans Go To the Movies

35. Supergirl

36. Superman 3

37. Black Adam

38. Superman and Mole Men

39. Justice League

40. Green Lantern

41. The Kitchen

42. Red

43. Red 2

44. Superman 4

45. Catwoman

46. Jonah Hex

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Variety was spot on! What world do you live in where 55% is not bad? Or shall we clap and give awards for DC making something that is not completely unwatchable? Plus if a film is 55% early days, it's obviously going to end up much lower.

DC is toast, apart from Batman they can't get any franchise right and obviously they made mistakes theer, too. Suppose jury is still out on Aquaman...

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

DC needs to rebuild brand equity. Pathetic given the ENORMOUS floor it clearly began with highlighted by the massive openings for Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad. Had those films been higher quality, there is no telling how high it could have gone. Now they are in full blown "build goodwill!" mode. 

20 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

I mean, 55% is bad? Seems like a pretty fair characterization unless they went farther than that.   

Guessing 59-64ish here, which will beat my earlier expectations slightly but can’t really be making WB happy given the budget and OS.

Well. Yeh. 

They went farther than that.

Hence my post. 

15 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

It's 42% now (193 reviews)  Though they were probably focusing on top critic reviews which were in the 30s.

https://deadline.com/2022/10/box-office-black-adam-dwayne-johnson-1235151785/

FRIDAY LATE AFTERNOON: We are hearing from sources that Black Adam is set to make $25M today, which is easily the best opening day for Dwayne Johnson among his solo projects, including Hobbs & Shaw ($23.6M), Mummy Returns ($23.1M) Jumanji: Next Level ($19.7M)and San Andreas ($18.1M). Today’s $25M includes last night’s $7.6M.

A $25M first day currently puts the New Line DC movie at a $60M start. Families could put this higher tomorrow. We’ll see.  Hobbs and Show opened to $60M during the first weekend of August 2019. Black Adam is also 16% behind F9 ($29.9M) which got to a $70M opening. Triple note, Johnson didn’t star in F9, however, it’s being used as a comp. Black Adam is booked at 4,402 theaters.

Universal owns spots 2 and 3 respectively with A Ticket to Paradise ($5.5M Friday, $13.7M opening at 3,543 theaters) and the second weekend of Halloween Ends ($2.7M Friday, -87%, for a 2nd weekend of $8.7M at 3,901 theaters, -78%, running total of $54.8M).

The fourth weekend of Paramount horror movie Smile is fourth at 3,296 theaters. Friday is $2.7M, -30% for a 3-day of $8.9M, -29%, and a running total of $84.8M.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1