Eric Duncan

The Coen Brothers Countdown | Two Lads & 19 Movies | Submissions end November 27 @ 11:59 PM

OH

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112daf04e569f870974d

YOU

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112aeec63af36227331e

BETCHA

EvilUniqueDutchsmoushond-size_restricted

With some directors, you know what you’re getting into. That’s not a bad thing of course. Knowing you will see suspense in Hitchcock, self-referential humor in Tarantino, hard-hitting racial commentary in Spike Lee or Ava DuVernay, documentary-style filmmaking in Agnes Varda. There’s a comfort in the familiarity, knowing the distinct stylings in these iconic auteurs.

But Joel and Ethan Coen...well, they’re an interesting bunch, because you never know what you’re going to get. Sometimes you get something dark, dramatic, and depressing. Other times, you get something so goofy and silly that it’s damn near a Looney Tunes cartoon in real life. And more often, you have a genre blend, combining humorous scenarios with intense thrills. Whether it be Raising Arizona, No Country for Old Men, or inbetweens like Fargo and Barton Fink, there’s a Coens movie for everybody. And after two years of auteur celebration, it’s now Joel and Ethan’s turn. Their turn in the spotlight has finally arrived.

You guys already know what you gotta do here. PM me your ranking of all the Coen-directed films, Blood Simple to Macbeth, yadda yadda yadda. But to give further clarification...

1. As per usual, not everything Joel and Ethan Coen have worked on will qualify. To make things as simple as possible, only films that at least one of the two have solely directed will be allowed here. This means movies they only wrote for, such as Unbroken or Bridge of Spies, will be excluded, as will films they executive produced like Bad Santa. And like what happened with New York Stories and Twilight Zone: The Movie, anthology films that the Coens only directed one segment of, such as Paris, je t’aime and Chacun son cinema, are excluded, because I feel those films were only partially directed by the lads, so it’s kind of cheating, and it gives people two less movies to worry about.

I am however including The Tragedy of Macbeth, because even though Ethan was not a part of that film and its creative process, it’s still directed by Joel, was promoted as “Written & Directed by Joel Coen”, making it seem like it was one of their movies, and frankly is a film that deserves a watch.

These are the films you can place on your list:

1. Blood Simple

2. Raising Arizona

3. Miller’s Crossing

4. Barton Fink

5. The Hudsucker Proxy

6. Fargo

7. The Big Lebowski

8. O Brother, Where Art Thou?

9. The Man Who Wasn’t There

10. Intolerable Cruelty

11. The Ladykillers

12. No Country for Old Men

13. Burn After Reading

14. A Serious Man

15. True Grit

16. Inside Llewyn Davis

17. Hail, Caesar!

18. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

19. The Tragedy of Macbeth

2. To allow your list to go through, you are required to send it through PM, whether here on the forums or on Telegram. This makes the process of tallying the votes much easier for me to follow. You are more than free to share your list in this thread, and I strongly encourage people to, as well as FYC the Coen titles you love. However, if you want it to count, you have to send it through PM. No exceptions!

3. I don’t expect people to put every movie onto their list, and that’s totally okay. The minimum number I will ask for your list is 5, roughly a quarter of their filmography and half of the usual 10 I asked users in the last two countdowns. However, I strongly encourage people to see as many Coen movies as possible, both to make the rankings and lists stronger and more accurate, but also so people can see some of their films that do not have the same cultural reverence as Fargo or No Country for Old Men. So don’t be lazy.

4. If you are wondering where you can find some of these movies, the best place to look is on the website JustWatch.com. It’s an excellent database on where to find the best places and deals to stream any movie.

6. Voting will continue from now until November 27, 2022 @ 11:59 PM. Basically, you have until Thanksgiving weekend to catch up on the films you missed. The countdown should begin shortly after.

Scoring

Number 1. 10 points

Number 2. 9 points

Numbers 3 - 4. 8 points

Numbers 5 - 7. 7 points

8 - 10. 6 points

11 - 12. 5 points

13 - 14. 4 points

15 - 16. 3 points

17 - 18. 2 points

19. 1 point

Have fun!

• Like 3

I have already seen all of the coen's films, so no need to wait.

1 The Hudsucker Proxy
2 Fargo
3 The Big Lebowski
4 True Grit
5 Raising Arizona
6 Miller's Crossing
7 Inside Llewyn Davis
8 O Brother, Where Art Thou
9 No Country For Old Men
10 Burn After Reading
11 Hail, Caesar!
12 A Serious Man
13 The Ladykillers
14 The Man Who Wasn't There
15 Barton Fink
16 The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
17 The Tragedy Of Macbeth
18 Blood Simple
19 Intolerable Cruelty
Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

Hope everybody had a good Halloween and a good start to Mariah Season. And a super-duper thank you to @A Star is Delayed @Tower and @BestPicturePlutoNash for getting your lists sent up and early to me. It's always nice to get this kind of early affirmation.

But now is the time to send out the first call of reminders. I know this can be annoying, but it's all part of the job. Remember to get this ready by the end of Thanksgiving weekend.

@Eric the Minion

@Jake Gittes @cannastop @Jayhawk the Hutt @Kvikk Lunsj @Plain Old Tele @DAR @YourMother @TOG @SLAM! @4815162342 @Ethan Hunt @Rorschach @Cap @Blankments @Eric @SchumacherFTW @Ezen Baklattan @NamakFiskKa @tribefan69501 @Menor Reborn @chasmmi @Water Bottle @water @vc2002 @Wrath @WrathOfHan @Jason @MrPink @charlie Jatinder @DAJK @Jay Beezy @AndyLL @raulbalarezo @aabattery @ZeeSoh @Sal @Empire @Cmasterclay @MrGamer @TMP @Webslinger @meridian  @Brainbug @Gopher @Essem @Sir Tiki @BoxOfficeFangrl @B J @SnokesLegs @Neo @filmlover @IronJimbo @Ryan Reynolds @grim22 @kayumanggi @Impact @CJohn @CoolioD1 @TwoMisfits @John Rambo @Valonqar @Totem @Shawn @BruiseCruise @vale9001 @Alpha @MrFanaticGuy34 @titanic2187 @wildphantom @Ledmonkey96 @scoobysaurus @BestPicturePlutoNash @Mango @DC Rich @ringedmortality @Doffy @PenguinHyphy @cruelintentionsisgoated @Box Office Hit @Jonwo @Issac Newton @lilmac @Fancyarcher @#ED @Porthos @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @ACSlater @acab @AJG @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeZ @ChD @Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Chewy @Claire of Themyscira @Dark 33Legend of the Sith @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @FantasticBeasts @Tower @Jack Nevada @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @Ithil @James @Jandrew @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @Lion Roar @LonePirate @m3racer123 @M37 @Mattrek @Mekanos @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @peludo @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @TLK @trifle @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VENOM @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Webslinger @Xillix @The Stingray @grey ghost @RySenkari @BourneFan #1 @John C-Nah @JohnnY @langer @incognitoo @boomboom234 @SchumacherFTW @MCKillswitch123 @Ozymandias @MovieMan89 @RobinHood26 @John Marston @Avatree @GraceRandolph @Reddroast @Premium George @Jamiem @carolwoodpr @ThomasNicole @Joel M @Fullbuster @dxmatrixdt @cmbbox2390 @dudalb @AJG @keysersoze @Tinalera @el sid @Immortal @pepsa @StarLord @The Panda @Mr Terrific @Durden @LegendaryBen @Immortal @ZackM @katnisscinnaplex @Legion and Thunder @ThomasNicole @Rebeccas @StormbreakerXXR @Kalel009Shel @Macleod @Nikostar @Hatebox @jedijake @Factcheck @WittyUsername @Last Man Standing @excel1 @TomCruiseTop @JamesCameronHimself @Alli @Maggie @HesAPooka @Borobudur @Juan Caballo @Grebacio @Custom Boxes @jimisawesome @Bruce @interiorgatordecorator @Lucas @SpiderByte @efialtes76 @Seto Kaiba @motionpic05 @Totem @Joel M @Poseidon @BadOlCatSylvester @exomassey @RthMav @Cheddar Please @Brandon Gray @ZackM @cax16 @Lancelot Gold @xanamanax @Sam @Olive @THUNDER BIRD @picores @moviegeek @MOVIEGUY @NCsoft @Krissykins @JohnnyGossamer @Mike Hunt @Gavin Feng @Gabbage Bash Kid @El Gato @Xavier @harrisonisdead @Skim Beeble @abra @AnDr3s @Flamengo81 @Hilpkioy @MikeQ @Godzilla @mmacader @Pinacolada @jma22 @Alpha @Deep Wang @Doffy @Sandro Mazzola @Chaz @efialtes76 @Mr Terrific @Viper @PenguinHyphy @datpepper @Sir Tiki @AniNate @poweranimals @snarkmachine @ban1o @John2015 @El Squibbonator @Sophie @Wormow @reddevil18 @Nero @Dominic Draper @ThePrinceIsOnFire @Rebeccas @sharadsuman @filmnerdjamie @Nikostar @p a p i @Juby @stripe @Doffy @Mojoguy @parkerthegreat @ringedmortality @efialtes76 @LonePirate @krla @Jiffy @Cappoedameron @JustLurking @Hades @Lestranger @Liiviig 1998 @longleo90 @ThomasNicole @Pinacolada @Firepower @Factcheck @Mulder @Grebacio @Dragoncaine @Taruseth @Tokugennumataka  @YM! @mikeymichael @Coldbird @Reddroast @Freakymagic @WorkingonaName @AJG @jedijake @HouseOfTheSun @eddyxx @cax16 @SpiderByte @KJsooner @WittyUsername @Porthos @Ecks Ecks Are @MOVIEGUY @Seth Irskens @AnDr3s @Avatree @Krissykins @Goldenhour36 @PlatnumRoyce @Mojoguy @motionpic05 @Xavier @setna @MrFanaticGuy34 @Torontofan @BruiseCruise @A District 3 Engineer @Mandatory @Lighthouse@Potiki

10 Points

No Country for Old Men 

9 Points
O Brother, Where Are Thou?

8 Points

True Grit

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 

7 Points 

The Tragedy of Macbeth

Inside Llewyn Davis 

Fargo 

6 Points

The Big Lebowski 

Burn After Reading  

Hail, Caesar!  

1.Barton Fink

2.Fargo

3.Inside Llewyn Davis

4.The Big Lebowski

5.O Brother where art thou

6.No Country for Old Men

7.Miller's Crossing

8.Raising Arizona

9.Ballad of Buster Scruggs

10.The Man who wasn't there

11.True Grit

12.Burn after Reading

13.The Hudsucker Proxy

14.Blood Simple

15.Intolerable Cruelty

16.A Serious Man

17.The Ladykillers

Hail Ceasar is the only one I haven't seen and Tragedy of Macbeth shouldn't count.

5 hours ago, Joel M said:

1.Barton Fink

2.Fargo

3.Inside Llewyn Davis

4.The Big Lebowski

5.O Brother where art thou

6.No Country for Old Men

7.Miller's Crossing

8.Raising Arizona

9.Ballad of Buster Scruggs

10.The Man who wasn't there

11.True Grit

12.Burn after Reading

13.The Hudsucker Proxy

14.Blood Simple

15.Intolerable Cruelty

16.A Serious Man

17.The Ladykillers

Hail Ceasar is the only one I haven't seen and Tragedy of Macbeth shouldn't count.

Thanks for the post, but just remember that you still have to PM me if you want it to count. It's so the process is a lot easier to compartmentalize and organize.

• Like 1

It's fitting that we're doing this during election season, because this is going to be one of those 'Too Close to Call' contests for # 1 between Fargo, Grit, and Country right up to the very end, I'd wager. I could juggle my top 3 in any order and be happy.

1. Fargo
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. No Country for Old Men
  4. Raising Arizona
  5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  6. Barton Fink
  7. Miller’s Crossing
  8. Hail, Caesar!
  9. Blood Simple
  10. The Hudsucker Proxy
  11. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  12. True Grit

I know I'm not going get around to the 4 I haven't seen in the next month and 3 others I don't want to give even a point.