Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

5 minutes ago, Verrows said:

It's probably because people associate mutants with the X-Men. Namor and Ms. Marvel being mutants in the MCU didn't provoke anything in me because it feels a little forced and "not right".

Hint at any classic mutant characters and that will get a reaction.

Namor is a mutant in the comics though.

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Namor is a mutant in the comics though.

Oh.....

Well gee don't I feel stupid. The point kinda still stands though. Many people, like me, probably don't know that there is comic precedent for it. They strictly associate mutants with X-Men.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I think it's such a relief that phase 4 ended with BP2 and especially the introduction of Namor, the fact that MCU Namor's origin got changed has turned out to be one of the new cool aspects of him, how social media is reacting to Namor now pretty much proves that Marvel has succeeded in bringing Namor to the big screen, the characteristics are very much on point, the fact that a lot of female audiences are still in awe with Namor even tho he impaled Shuri and murdered her mother is exactly what I expected Marvel to do and luckily this time they didn't fail me like what Taika did to Gorr.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

I think it's such a relief that phase 4 ended with BP2 and especially the introduction of Namor, the fact that MCU Namor's origin got changed has turned out to be one of the new cool aspects of him, how social media is reacting to Namor now pretty much proves that Marvel has succeeded in bringing Namor to the big screen, the characteristics are very much on point, the fact that a lot of female audiences are still in awe with Namor even tho he impaled Shuri and murdered her mother is exactly what I expected Marvel to do and luckily this time they didn't fail me like what Taika did to Gorr.

Which is saying something because Gorr was still far and away the best thing about Thor: Love and Thunder.

• Like 1

I've seen some complaints, and now it makes sense, that the final battle seemed very small scale considering the stakes. I get it. I really do. However, I don't think you necessarily want a LOTR, Endgame type battle from one movie. Maybe they will fight again, maybe they will not, but there were reasons we didn't see such a battle. (1) Like I said, it's hard to have such a battle after one film's worth of conflict. (2) There's NO way Ryan or anyone could EVER have pulled that off with the time constraint they had for post-production. Way too much in way too short of time span. The conflict would have gotten bigger had Namor not have been defeated. That was the main conflict-between Namor and Shuri.

NWH was small scale also and VERY sloppy. Same issue-short time span. Yes, of course you had a 3 vs 5 battle to start with, but we saw the same post-production issues.

May not be a popular opinion, but I liked BP2 better than NWH.

Edited by jedijake

15 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Which is saying something because Gorr was still far and away the best thing about Thor: Love and Thunder.

Yeah, to be fair it's just me, I don't like how Taika humanized Gorr and gave him a quick redemption. On the other hand, what they did with Namor was pretty amazing. Namor in the comic is a charming, slutty, smug ah*le, you would feel like he could bang any female, even a monster (and of course he did!), he usually used his special "skills" to negotiate with women and "hypnotize" them! and it's exactly what he did to Shuri (and the female audience, lol). Can't wait to see the first encounter of Namor and Sue Storm in MCU.

• Like 2

I think the final battle being relatively small was a good choice, but the specifics of it could've been done better, especially in terms of the tactics the Wakandans employed. I loved the duel between Namor and Shuri though, it felt very raw and the beach was also a neat setting to stage it in. One of the areas where I thought this film improved over the first, T'Challa's final duel against Killmonger was underwhelming.

• Like 3

Really didn’t know what to make of this as I left the theatre, there’s a lot of stuff I liked, but having just rewatched the original the other night, I couldn’t help but feel the giant gaping chasm left by the loss of Chadwick Boseman. It just kind of left me feeling a bit sad.

The film was at its best when it was just doing its own thing though, but whenever they tried to shoehorn in references to the wider MCU I felt that it stumbled. RiRi just having a fully equipped Iron Man suit felt unnecessary (it’d have been better to just have her as a tech prodigy in this, and then have her develop that kind of armour after going home in the Ironheart series), and as much as I like Julia Louis Dreyfuss, she was completely superfluous here. 

Letitia Wright, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong’o and Angela Bassett were all great though. They carry the film perfectly. It also has to be said that Ryan Coogler worked a miracle with this given the circumstances.

I feel like I need to watch it again to really make my mind up on it. I appreciated them doing something a bit different to the usual MCU formula with this though. No sky portals is always a win.

3 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

I think the final battle being relatively small was a good choice, but the specifics of it could've been done better, especially in terms of the tactics the Wakandans employed. I loved the duel between Namor and Shuri though, it felt very raw and the beach was also a neat setting to stage it in. One of the areas where I thought this film improved over the first, T'Challa's final duel against Killmonger was underwhelming.

Indeed, I love the rawness of the fights in this film, the   fight scene on the bridge is my favorite, I could easily feel the brutalness  of it when I first watched it at the theatre, I was afraid that Attuma would kill Okoye at any moment. The last time I saw this kind of fighting was probably ...Winter Soldier.
Arguably they can't have a big battle because there aren't many soldiers left, the other tribes didn't want to join, M'baku was forced to do it so he quickly gathered some, Nakia was just there to protect the last living member of her late husband's in-law family. And I don't think Shuri would expect the remaining soldiers and the midnight angels got beaten by Talokani that fast tho.

Edited by YourCake

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

How did Shuri survive being impaled straight through her body without any real damage? I was confused by that.

I mean T'Challa survived getting stabbed and chunked off a cliff and seemed pretty much fine once he was given the herb, so I'm guessing the herb has some serious healing power. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

I liked Letitia in this and I was someone who found her annoying in the first film.

But let's be honest...Nakia would have been the best if we were going on acting alone. Lupita's charisma is so much stronger than Letitia's. And let's not mention Bassett - fucking goddess.

But I understand that on a storyline level and thematically, it did make sense for Shuri. But I wonder how much the next time jump will be? 10 years?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Really didn’t know what to make of this as I left the theatre, there’s a lot of stuff I liked, but having just rewatched the original the other night, I couldn’t help but feel the giant gaping chasm left by the loss of Chadwick Boseman. It just kind of left me feeling a bit sad.

The film was at its best when it was just doing its own thing though, but whenever they tried to shoehorn in references to the wider MCU I felt that it stumbled. RiRi just having a fully equipped Iron Man suit felt unnecessary (it’d have been better to just have her as a tech prodigy in this, and then have her develop that kind of armour after going home in the Ironheart series), and as much as I like Julia Louis Dreyfuss, she was completely superfluous here. 

Letitia Wright, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong’o and Angela Bassett were all great though. They carry the film perfectly. It also has to be said that Ryan Coogler worked a miracle with this given the circumstances.

I feel like I need to watch it again to really make my mind up on it. I appreciated them doing something a bit different to the usual MCU formula with this though. No sky portals is always a win.

lol did you write this same post months ago? I feel like I read that first paragraph before.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

I liked Letitia in this and I was someone who found her annoying in the first film.

But let's be honest...Nakia would have been the best if we were going on acting alone. Lupita's charisma is so much stronger than Letitia's. And let's not mention Bassett - fucking goddess.

But I understand that on a storyline level and thematically, it did make sense for Shuri. But I wonder how much the next time jump will be? 10 years?

I disagree, Letitia crushed it in this film.