The Wild Eric

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

5 hours ago, Factcheck said:

They are making so many Disney+ projects & introducing so many characters for mainly 2 reasons- 1. For D+ subscriptions.

2. To set up different teams-

Moonknight, Elsa Bloodstone etc for rumoured Midnight Sons movie.

Kate Bishop, Ms. Marvel Iron heart etc for Young Avengers D+ show or movie.

Nova, Silver Surfer etc for rumoured Annihilators project.

Namor, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine etc for Mutants/X-men.

Yelena, US agent, Taskmaster for Thunderbolts.

Starting next year we'll get a big team up movie every year. 

And this will.no doubt devalue team up movies, including Avengers.

• Like 1

Fabelmans is a bust. It is supposed to be the buzziest prestige picture of the season, but even Bodies, Bodies, Bodies opened with a higher per theater average. Coronavirus just devastated the specialty box office. "Prestige" dramas just do not have a place in theaters anymore                                           

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I really thought Fabelmans would have opened higher. But then again, it didn't have benefit of filmmaker Q&As to boost the numbers. Field, Blanchett, McDonagh all did screenings.

Still, not a promising sign for the speciality market. LA is truly missing the Arclight

From what I can see on Fandango, the 4 theaters consist of 3 AMCs and Regal, three guesses what they've put in their largest auditoriums this weekend... TÁR opened against the second weekend of Smile, a hit movie and all, but much easier for The Grove, Lincoln Square, etc to give a bit more space to a prestige release in that case vs. Wakanda Forever.

The Fabelmans is getting 2 screens per theater, possibly 2.5 with splits, none in the largest auditoriums or even second largest auditoriums...even with brisk sales, the real estate just isn't there this weekend. Hopefully, Universal was aware of this possibility and is playing more of a long game.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Fabelmans is a bust. It is supposed to be the buzziest prestige picture of the season, but even Bodies, Bodies, Bodies opened with a higher per theater average. Coronavirus just devastated the specialty box office. "Prestige" dramas just do not have a place in theaters anymore                                           

I still believe that there is a correlation between lack of product in general and theatre going habits. I know people who are saying they'd love to go to movies if there were more choices. Even if something like The Fabelmans is something they'd enjoy, they aren't even venturing to the theatres to see it because they're losing the habit. Why? B Months and months of seeing a superhero or another franchise movie dominating screens plus a couple other random ones.

We're well out of the pandemic now. Studios really have to get their product output back on track. The current November schedule, for instance, is embarrassing. December too.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I still believe that there is a correlation between lack of product in general and theatre going habits. I know people who are saying they'd love to go to movies if there were more choices. Even if something like The Fabelmans is something they'd enjoy, they aren't even venturing to the theatres to see it because they're losing the habit after months and months of seeing a superhero or another franchise movie dominating screens plus a couple other random ones.

We're well out of the pandemic now. Studios really have to get their product output back on track. The current November schedule, for instance, is embarrassing. December too.

Movies like the fabelmens isn't really worth the price of admission for most people, might as well watch it at home when it goes on streaming

I didn't know what to expect overall.  I knew the November record was going down for sure.   But 84 is Fantastic considering everything that happen especially with Chadwick.   We have to see Saturday's hold to see if this acts more like a frontloaded sequel but I think A Billion WW is more than lock.  I don't think it will get to BP1's domestic numbers though I don't see much competition until "Avatar". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

What would we need today for it to get on the high end of projections?

High end? Over $60M, which doesn't look like it's happening barring insane levels of walkups. 

I think the thing that will drive the OW to the upper end will be a very good Sunday, not necessarily the Saturday gross.

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Movies like the fabelmens isn't really worth the price of admission for most people, might as well watch it at home when it goes on streaming

You're probably right, but I feel like they would watch it in theatres if they were just generally more in the habit of going to theatres, which would be the case if there was more product (more variety and more product, period) keeping the coming.

Maybe I'm out to lunch and in denial though. 🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

From what I can see on Fandango, the 4 theaters consist of 3 AMCs and Regal, three guesses what they've put in their largest auditoriums this weekend... TÁR opened against the second weekend of Smile, a hit movie and all, but much easier for The Grove, Lincoln Square, etc to give a bit more space to a prestige release in that case vs. Wakanda Forever.

The Fabelmans is getting 2 screens per theater, possibly 2.5 with splits, none in the largest auditoriums or even second largest auditoriums...even with brisk sales, the real estate just isn't there this weekend. Hopefully, Universal was aware of this possibility and is playing more of a long game.

They're only expanding to 600 theaters on Thanksgiving. So they're playing the long game which is smart. Did the same with Green Book in 2018

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

The entire theater of Fabelmans laughed, cried, and cheered more and harder than the Dolby theater did during Black Panther on Thursday. So no

And it contains one of Spielberg's greatest, most cinematic final shots