The Wild Eric

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

It just occurred to me that the November record is going down this weekend. Nice to see, although Catching Fire will probably end up with more admissions for OW when all is said and done. God, that franchise was a beast in the early 2010s lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I was today years old when I found out the World Cup was coming soon. 

Isn’t it usuaully in the summer? In a pub just now and they have the world flags up lol

there is no hype for it this year. i think the time of year and all the controversies surrounding it has killed the buzz. the euros last year felt more hyped up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Had to have it in the winter this year due to where it’s taking place.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there is no hype for it this year. i think the time of year and all the controversies surrounding it has killed the buzz. the euros last year felt more hyped up.

Ah! I thought the flags were for Eurovision but very early lol

Regarding the World Cup: While the buzz is extremely muted because of obvious reasons, i do think the overall view numbers across Europe/Latin America/Asia wont be dramatically lower than the last World Cup, even if a ton of people "officially" plan to boycott it. In the end, its a World Cup, it will be seen by a billion people worldwide. But i think theres a high chance, that a ton of people will only watch the games of their national team instead of catching the games of other nations as well and view numbers could especially take a downturn if some new major controversy would erupt while the WC is played - which i think is very likely.

I hope im making sense here, but in short i think the effect of the World Cup for the Worldwide box office numbers will be felt, but it wont be as big as a normal World Cup.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I hope im making sense here, but in short i think the effect of the World Cup for the Worldwide box office numbers will be felt, but it wont be as big as a normal World Cup.

I had completely forgotten about the world cup until this comment.  Moving it to the winter was a terrible mistake.

2 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

I had completely forgotten about the world cup until this comment.  Moving it to the winter was a terrible mistake.

Giving it to a country that has summers with 45 degrees Celsius, has an awful human rights background and no football history or culture was the mistake to begin with.

And yet, even the winter solution makes nobody happy. Its just the wrong time to have a World Cup. When a World Cup is played, you want to have a good beer in the summer sun, not drink hot chocolate unter the christmas tree!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Giving it to a country that has summers with 45 degrees Celsius, has an awful human rights background and no football history or culture was the mistake to begin with.

And yet, even the winter solution makes nobody happy. Its just the wrong time to have a World Cup. When a World Cup is played, you want to have a good beer in the summer sun, not drink hot chocolate unter the christmas tree!

It will be interesting to say the list, i am pretty annoyed its getting in the way of Avatar 2 tho.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It will be interesting to say the list, i am pretty annoyed its getting in the way of Avatar 2 tho.

Only the semi-finals and the final will affect it though i think? Sure, the OW's Worldwide will be depressed because of that, but people will find time to watch Avatar in the christmas holidays. If anything, i could imagine that it will be similar to the 2009 Avatar run where a snowstorm depressed the (DOM) OW only to lead to a near nothing drop in weekend two. On the worldwide/OS Box office chart, that could very well happen with Avatar 2 i think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Add in a showtime-restricting runtime of 2.5 hours

It might actually be getting more (or at least equivalent) showings than other recent limited releases because of the extended hours to accommodate BPWF. Like you’re not definitely not running a 9a or probably even 11p show of Fablemans normally, but if you’re already going to be open, then why not (as AMC Lincoln Square did)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

All my fellow black people out in force at the theater im at tonight. The crowd applauded at the end this time when they showed the dedication to Chadwick.

Only movie I've been to so far this year where the crowd applauded (twice) at the end.

25 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean July is the coldest month for Southern Hemisphere (Brazil, Argentina, etc), so it’s not just about weather 

But agree it’s just the wrong time, between competing with other sports in their normal season (football and basketball in US), plus major fall holidays already pulling away attention. When the NBA bubbled up and resumed their 2020 season in July, despite being starved for sports, I just couldn’t get into it - felt like D league games, because it wasn’t time for basketball 

• Like 2

The world cup hype is pretty bad but it also makes sense because of:

- The season is still going on, as opposed to it ending 3-4 week before and then you start counting the days for World Cup to start.

- All the drama with Qatar and human rights hasn´t helped at all

- It being in the winter is just stupid.

However when the tournament actually starts shit will pick up drastically. It will be everything people talks about. WF legs might take a big hit imo. Especially in Europe and LatAM. Go out in the cold and go to a theater to watch a superhero movie that costs way too much or watch the biggest tournament in the world on the telly in the comfort of your home? Easy choice. 

3 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm thinking Saturday is going to be underwhelming. When sales are going strong there's usually more chatter but it's an utter ghost town here.

Thinking around $54M, a slight drop from Friday.

It's a ghost town cause there's nothing to discuss until we get a number

• Like 6